Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ice Cream Sign Design - First Trial

Hello everyone,

I am brand new to GDF and I am excited to get the ball rolling with my first design.

I work for Lulu's Sorbetto, a company based out of Arizona and I am redesigning all of the signage for the company. The current designs are not consistent and they need revitalization. This particular sign is 7"x11.5" and is located on the front of the ice cream cart alongside 5 other flavors. It is meant to draw customers in to buy the product, but at the same time provide enough information for the customer to know what they are getting. These signs are also posted on 24x36 a -frames, that can hold up to 6 flavor signs, and a company banner (which I am working on as well). My goal is to find a template that I can replicate, and simply switch out the picture of each flavor. The key to this entire project is interchangeability. If I can come up with a template, no matter how many flavors we come up with, I'll always have a flavor sign ready.

Seeing as this is for business, I don't want to disappoint my boss, so I need as many critiques as possible.
    Thanks for taking the time to go through this with me.

Old Design

Click image for larger version

Name:	Old Chocolate Sign.JPG
Views:	5
Size:	182.5 KB
ID:	20823

New Design

Click image for larger version

Name:	Chocolate - Trial 1.png
Views:	2
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	20822

Comment

Yeow. The red background does nothing good for the color of the ice cream.
      I'd rather be killed than come to your party, but if you don't invite me, I'll kill myself.

Comment

Hi D.com and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        That red background is fighting with the ice cream color. Go for neutral, or your product will be overpowered by its surroundings. If you are creating a template to switch out multiple flavors, what happens when you put strawberry ice cream on that red?

Get rid of the comma after "both."

If it's vegan, doesn't that also mean it's dairy-free? Why state both?
        Last edited by KitchWitch; 02-27-2017, 07:32 AM.
        Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

ok, this looks like a bare start, by that i mean the type needs a lot more exploration. Agree with HB, the red background ....it's a bit overpowering for me, and the ice cream looks uninviting.....signs with ice cream that big should make your mouth water. Explore that type more! Also, way too much space between Pure and Chocolate. icons at top look a tad unrefined...this is graphic design, add some eye candy!

Comment

Both of these suffer from the same things.

1. Boring photos.
            2. The presentation tells me that this is most certainly NOT gonna be better than ice cream.

You need to sell the "WOW this tastes AWESOME" but instead you are dedicating the whole top margin with all the things that this DOESN'T have.
            Keep Saturn in Saturnalia.

Comment

and break out the sketch pad----20 thumbnails first!

Comment

I just had a look at 'Lulu’s Sorbetto' Facebook page and noticed that every POS piece for ice-cream says, ’ Pure Mango’, Pure Chocolate’ etc.

To me the word ‘Pure’ is just taking up space, and with repetition on every POS piece becomes meaningless. I think you’re better off just stating the flavours, ‘Chocolate’ ‘Mango’ etc

Some more feedback:

The photography isn’t cutting it.

- It does not look appetising or delicious.
                - It really looks thrown together and my guess is you or your employer probably shot it with a phone camera or a cheap DSLR.
                - The product is too close to the background and the background itself is in focus when that's hardly ever a good idea for product shots.
                - The cloth is creased. It looks amateurish and the red background does not work.

My recommendation to you: convince your employer to employ a professional photographer to shoot the product shots - but only when you have a clear idea of how you want the product shots to look (google ice cream product shots).

If that’s not possible teach yourself how to do it. Yes, there really are many videos on YouTube on how to shoot ice cream.

- The ‘Soy Free Dairy Free’ labels across the top doesn’t work for me. They are really distracting. The Ice cream is the hero, not the labels.
                I'd move them to the bottom.

- The typography needs work. The space between Pure and Chocolate is huge.
                (I recommend removing Pure anyway, as it's more or less meaningless as I stated above.

That said, experiment with some different typography. How about hand painting 'Chocolate', 'Mango' etc in black ink, scan the art and turn it into vector art in Illustrator via tracing? You can then make the text white (or any other color for that matter). Just one of many possible approaches.
                Last edited by Pavlo; 03-01-2017, 03:25 AM.

Comment

• HotButton
                  HotButton commented
                  Editing a comment
                  All solid advice here.
                  Definitely get rid of "pure" before every flavor; not only because it becomes meaningless by repetition, but also because it can't be true.
                  And, food photography is strictly pro territory. Your presentation would be better off with stock photos.

if you must use something before Chocolate instead of "Pure" come up with something memorable or funky and fun.....

Sinfully Angelic Chocolate! ----- Choctastic Chocolate! ----not saying use those but have fun.....market,,, market,,,, marketing!

Comment

agree on the stock photography-----thousands of images out there that blow this image away-----when on a budget ya gotta do what ya gotta do.....if i was shooting my own photography rather than solely focusing on the chocolate ice cream i'd probably find a model friend to add in because shooting food is one of the harder things to shoot

here are some great (secret) tips by the by...
                  https://thechive.com/2017/01/31/clev...all-15-photos/

Comment

would be interested to see what you came up with in a followup

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright © 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                    Working...
                    X