Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New designer, new web design company branding

Hey, this is my first post here so a little background

I have been building websites for quite some time, but only finished my design degree about a year ago.

I decided to set up a business with a partner as a web / graphic design company with the intention of showing that design is a form of communication as many, if not most the clients I interact with have no idea and think we just slap a load of stuff on a page. As such we are gearing towards communication using vibration as the theme set, but I am pretty new to all this, we have done our audience research, got all the info we could collect and believe we are now at a stage to start designing our branding (solely my responsibility).

Here are two Mocs of the general design I am leaning towards, I am a member of a web design forum but their feedback has been pretty useless so I hope to get more out of a graphic design forum like this one.. anyway, enough rambling aside to just say I think the typography still needs work but the rest seems ok to me

http://imgur.com/l7wUDbU
    http://imgur.com/Jq5dt3f

(Had trouble uploading)

Thanks

Hi Saltedm8 and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
    Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

Thank you

Comment

Maybe this is what you were going for, but that yellow background is blinding. And the white text on yellow is extremely difficult to read.
        Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

I should have said really, those are just to get a feel for the brand, of course I won't be throwing yellow all over the place when we build the website for example those shown would probably be more for promotional material, to stand out amongst other design stools at business events etc, but I do get your point about the yellow, I just did not want it to look a sickly colour as it is so easy to do that, I would appreciate any suggestion for colour, as for the white text and logo, yes, in these cases (promotional material) I am aiming for the branding to be most important, I don't consider the icon that important as it is backed with the "DOT VOICE" logotype anyway. Thank you.

Comment

Why would you put an icon, or anything else, in there that you didn't think was important?
            Everything you put into a design should have a well thought out purpose.
            If you don't know what it's doing for your brand, the clients won't either.

Comment

Maybe I used the wrong word, I never meant it's not important, I meant that the hierarchy on the printed material is a little different from the website, the branding guidelines are still being written so things are a little messy at the moment.

Comment

Have this as part and parcel of it too now ​http://s.codepen.io/saltedm8/debug/evXqeQ/VJMxxZGpXEPM

Comment

I'm a little confused as to what you're wanting feedback for or what you're trying to accomplish here.

Based on what I've read you're trying to start a design business and you want to show design as a form of communication. Are you going to be building websites for your clients? Are you starting a business simply to deliver the message about design being a form of communication?

Your clients have no idea about what you do because your clients are not web designers or graphic designers.

Based on the mock ups you provided I don't see a company who can provide me a website. I see a designers convention sponsored by Behance.

If your clients are not in the design niche then you need to spell out to them what it is you do and how you can help them. I don't think you need graphic or web design guidance, I think you need marketing guidance.

Again, sorry if I misinterpreted your post. I just really don't see what you're going for here and I definitely do not see a company that can build me a website.

Comment

If your branding guidelines are still being developed, you are putting the cart before the horse in trying to build marketing materials. Get your brand, your purpose and your clientele goals sorted out, then do your marketing. This is sort of Business 101? In the history of the World, there's never been an easier time to start up a business than right now. That doesn't mean you can skip the preliminary steps. Like the business plan, the business set-up (LLC, Inc., Co. etc.) the legal, tax and contract law stuff... you get my drift. The business plan alone will do (or should do) a lot of the groundwork for your branding in and of itself.

Comment

Originally posted by calebninja View Post
                      I'm a little confused as to what you're wanting feedback for or what you're trying to accomplish here.

Based on what I've read you're trying to start a design business and you want to show design as a form of communication. Are you going to be building websites for your clients? Are you starting a business simply to deliver the message about design being a form of communication?

Your clients have no idea about what you do because your clients are not web designers or graphic designers.

Based on the mock ups you provided I don't see a company who can provide me a website. I see a designers convention sponsored by Behance.

If your clients are not in the design niche then you need to spell out to them what it is you do and how you can help them. I don't think you need graphic or web design guidance, I think you need marketing guidance.

Again, sorry if I misinterpreted your post. I just really don't see what you're going for here and I definitely do not see a company that can build me a website.
                      Yes, we are building websites for clients but first and foremost we are building the brand for a business, one that promotes our principles. My clients will know what we do once the branding is put into relevant context, for example, business cards, flyers and website, as graphic design is as much about the text as it is the imagery. I asked if the imagery would be sending the message that we want, as designers I would have thought you would realise, since any designer worth his salt would know that design has purpose and meaning, it is not just a pretty image on a page, I did not ask whether it looks pretty.

The interpretation of the message is very important and if designers don't 'get' the branding idea, how can I expect my customers to, at this current time it is irrelevant what it is I am selling, only the message is important, that is what I was doing here.

Originally posted by PrintDriver View Post
                      If your branding guidelines are still being developed, you are putting the cart before the horse in trying to build marketing materials. Get your brand, your purpose and your clientele goals sorted out, then do your marketing. This is sort of Business 101? In the history of the World, there's never been an easier time to start up a business than right now. That doesn't mean you can skip the preliminary steps. Like the business plan, the business set-up (LLC, Inc., Co. etc.) the legal, tax and contract law stuff... you get my drift. The business plan alone will do (or should do) a lot of the groundwork for your branding in and of itself.
                      I have not put any cart before any horse, everything you have stated has already been done, this is not about marketing materials, otherwise I would have posted business cards, flyers, tshits etc, this IS about the branding of a new business, as I said above, I was simply looking for whether the interpretation of the message we want to convey is there, what impression you get when you look at it, how does it make you feel etc.. The important branding questions are the ones that don't include the answer "that looks nice".

Comment

Originally posted by Saltedm8 View Post
                        I asked if the imagery would be sending the message that we want, as designers I would have thought you would realise, since any designer worth his salt would know that design has purpose and meaning, it is not just a pretty image on a page, I did not ask whether it looks pretty.
                        I never commented about whether it looked pretty or not.

I was simply trying to provide you direction based on what I thought you were trying to achieve. I also mentioned I was confused about what it is you were presenting.

If your intended audience is designers (which I fall into) then assuming they will just understand your message and insulting them if they do not won't get you very far.

Comment

Originally posted by calebninja View Post

I never commented on whether it looked pretty or not.

I was simply trying to provide you direction based on what I thought you were trying to achieve. I also mentioned I was confused about what it is you were presenting.

If your intended audience is designers (which I fall into) then assuming they will just understand your message and insulting them if they do not won't get you very far.
                          No, the intended audience is not designers... but designers (in this forum) have (or should have) the ability to judge a work based on learnt principles and theories using descriptions or briefs given to them in an objective way, I have 'assumed' nothing, try reading what I have written, which was

" Yes, we are building websites for clients but first and foremost we are building the brand for a business, one that promotes our principles."

Branding is about showing the principles of your business, it is not about what you provide as a service or product, it is about the core principles your business stands for, the intentional message you want to convey.. come on, this is basic brand creation principles, I am under the assumption that the people here are professional designers?
                          Last edited by Saltedm8; 04-06-2017, 02:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Saltedm8 View Post
                            come on, this is basic brand creation principles, I am under the assumption that the people here are professional designers?
                            Again, I can't tell if you're trying to be insulting or not.

I've given my two cents about your project and I stand by it.

Good luck with your business and hopefully you'll get the feedback you're searching for.

Comment

No, I'm not trying to be insulting I am simply enquiring how you could miss my point as a designer

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                              Working...
                              X