Logo Competition Winner Critique

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Logo Competition Winner Critique

I entered a logo competition recently and the organisation have just released the winner (not me), I don't like it at all but can you let me know your opinions of it cheers.

Images removed by Admin.

Hello, sorry, we only allow critiques on work when submitted by the original designer.

Comment

Hi Arransinclair and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
      Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

You'll find out that people aren't very fond of logo competitions here.

Sort of defeats the whole purpose of having a logo and dumbs down the design industry as a whole.

Comment

In a logo competition it doesn't matter if you like the winning logo.
          All that matters is the patron likes it.
          How much billable time did you waste?

Comment

Originally posted by arransinclair View Post
            I entered a logo competition recently and the organisation have just released the winner...
            There was no winner; only a lone designer that will have earned a pittance for accidentally producing a graphic that appeals to the misguided owner of a brand which is destined to fail.
            I'd rather be killed than come to your party, but if you don't invite me, I'll kill myself.

Comment

• calebninja
              calebninja commented
              Editing a comment
              Boom roasted!

Originally posted by HotButton View Post

There was no winner; only a lone designer that will have earned a pittance for accidentally producing a graphic that appeals to the misguided owner of a brand which is destined to fail.

A brand is not a logo, so that's a bit of an extreme statement. I can think of a million brands I love with horrible logos.
            You can fool some of the people all the time, and those are the ones you want to concentrate on. --GWB

Comment

• HotButton
              HotButton commented
              Editing a comment
              While that may not be untrue about brands and logo graphics in a vacuum, my assertion was more about the owner making bad business decisions and the inevitable failure that will result from them.

Originally posted by EC View Post

A brand is not a logo, so that's a bit of an extreme statement. I can think of a million brands I love with horrible logos.
            I totally get it. But there's a whole lot we don't know, too. Some (can I say most? yes most seems fair) business owners don't have a clue where to start, or how to find/hire/work with a designer ... and unfortunately, this is the way things are these days. If there's good communication, and there's a talented and strategic designer involved, it's not necessarily doomed.

Then again, i do wish all designers were paid their true worth, which is I think your point. If not it is a point. If only...
            Last edited by EC; 05-02-2017, 10:48 AM.
            You can fool some of the people all the time, and those are the ones you want to concentrate on. --GWB

Comment

OH MY GOSH I am such a Noob, I meant that to be a comment HotButton lol *kicks this software*

Comment

...business owners don't have a clue where to start, or how to find/hire/work with a designer ... and unfortunately, this is the way things are these days.
                Well this goes further to my point—clueless business owners. The brand is the cornerstone of a business, and successful brands are a product of strategy. When the first step of a brand strategy is low-cost circumnavigation of due diligence, it's pretty likely a weak brand will result, and the flawed foundational philosophy that birthed it doesn't just go away while the business owner suddenly reforms and legitimizes their approach to everything else. Ill-conceived shortcuts will continue to prevail.

This is the way things are done? Not by the competent it's not. Let's not lend it credence through acceptance, please.

If there's good communication, and there's a talented and strategic designer involved
                These are elements that are missing from contests. Communication is one-way. That alone is a deal breaker. Typically, talented (and I'll add competent), designers who know how to strategize have neither the time nor the desire to squirrel themselves away with nothing but a superficial contest brief developed without their involvement, and work for days in hopes of maybe getting underpaid if they can come up with a truly viable brand mark that has every chance of getting shouted down by the "client's" wife who likes the glassy-gradient one that was sent in by a high-school sig artist.
                I'd rather be killed than come to your party, but if you don't invite me, I'll kill myself.

Comment

Well this goes further to my point—clueless business owners. The brand is the cornerstone of a business, and successful brands are a product of strategy. When the first step of a brand strategy is low-cost circumnavigation of due diligence, it's pretty likely a weak brand will result, and the flawed foundational philosophy that birthed it doesn't just go away while the business owner suddenly reforms and legitimizes their approach to everything else. Ill-conceived shortcuts will continue to prevail.
                  True, but most of the people I work with -- startups, micro-businesses, etc. don't have the money for strategy. It's a step they're all too eager to skip, even though everything I do is strategic and requires buy-in. Whether it's a contest or not doesn't change that sad fact.
                  This is the way things are done? Not by the competent it's not. Let's not lend it credence through acceptance, please.
                  I'm just saying that it's the reality of how things are, not that I like it. Design as a commodity is not my choice, but I see little evidence that there are enough clients who "get it" to go around. So what to do, accept it? Or whine about something you can't control?

These are elements that are missing from contests. Communication is one-way. That alone is a deal breaker.
                  That's just not necessarily true.
                  Typically, talented (and I'll add competent), designers who know how to strategize have neither the time nor the desire to squirrel themselves away with nothing but a superficial contest brief developed without their involvement, and work for days in hopes of maybe getting underpaid if they can come up with a truly viable brand mark that has every chance of getting shouted down by the "client's" wife who likes the glassy-gradient one that was sent in by a high-school sig artist.
                  I know plenty of competent designers who do contests, and plenty of even more talented and competent designers out of work.

Not arguing, just food for thought mate.

Comment

That's just not necessarily true.
                    Well I surely can't bill myself as an expert in how these contests are run, so please do show me an example of a contest platform on which credible development process exists; one where the client is available to be interviewed, and carries on 2-way dialog with each contestant as the work progresses, divulging whatever proprietary information might be applicable, inviting each contestant to see and experience what the members of the business' target market see and experience. I can't imagine how that would be handled, or how one would authoritatively devise an identity for a business that wasn't accessible to that degree.

So what to do, accept it? Or whine about something you can't control?
                    Are those the only choices? How about refusing to participate, or to even recognize it as an approach to the practice of your profession? How about not being part of the problem? Come to think of it, even just whining about it would be better than defending or accepting it.

I know plenty of competent designers who do contests...
                    Then through their disregard for professional standards, they are major contributors to the demise of your profession. When no graphic designer can get work without agreeing to be one of a crowd who'll do the work for free in hopes of becoming the one who gets paid a price they had no opportunity to negotiate, the profession will no longer be a profession, and we'll all have them to thank.

Arguing.
                    Last edited by HotButton; 05-02-2017, 01:24 PM.

Comment

Well I surely can't bill myself as an expert in how these contests are run, so please do show me an example of a contest platform on which credible development process exists; one where the client is available to be interviewed, and carries on 2-way dialog with each contestant as the work progresses, divulging whatever proprietary information might be applicable, inviting each contestant to see and experience what the members of the business' target market see and experience. I can't imagine how that would be handled, or how one would authoritatively devise an identity for a business that wasn't accessible to that degree.

I'm not here to advocate the business model, I'm just saying we don't have all the information, and what you're describing as a failure in process happens outside of the contest model as well. How many swooshy-watercolor-fonts-as-logo do you see on Pinterest that people gush over, or pre-made logos are available on Etsy? Every day I hop on Facebook and see a "designer" pair a DaFont trendy font with a piece of clip art and people swoooon at the brilliance.

Are those the only choices? How about refusing to participate, or to even recognize it as an approach to the practice of your profession? How about not being part of the problem? Come to think of it, even just whining about it would be better than defending or accepting it.

That's fine. I just personally don't see any evidence of how any "anti-spec" campaign has ever worked so I don't see the point of getting upset about it anymore.

Then through their disregard for professional standards, they are major contributors to the demise of your profession. When no graphic designer can get work without agreeing to be one of a crowd who'll do the work for free in hopes of becoming the one who gets paid a price they had no opportunity to negotiate, the profession will no longer be a profession, and we'll all have them to thank.
                      In my estimation, the profession isn't what it once was and hasn't been for a long time. I'm just living in the world as it is.

Arguing.
                      I'm really not interested in changing your mind, your opinion is valid. If you don't respect my perspective that's fine, I understand.
                      Last edited by EC; 05-02-2017, 10:24 PM.

Comment

If you don't respect my perspective...
                        No disrespect intended; I just don't agree with your perspective. It's a product of your experience, and I surely can't hope to change your past.

Not arguing, just food for thought mate.
                        A friendly positioning. I apologize if my "arguing" counterpoint came off unfriendly, but I'm sort of like an old teacher in some ways and I would ask you to consider that "argument" is a healthy, constructive, and essential activity in which people of intellect must engage if there is to be growth of any kind. There need not be anger in it, and I welcome our differences of opinion. Figuratively, but in a valuable way, the friction produces a "heat-energy" which converts to a vital fuel used in self-improvement. You should always be eager to share your differences of opinion and never shy away from the false negative connotations of "argument." In fact, the stronger your defense of your own opinions, the more I will ultimately respect them and you, even if mine are directly opposed. All this is precisely why we undertake the worthwhile exercise of critique.

Comment

Cheers HotButton, I appreciate that.

I'm not afraid of argument, but I'm not particularly fond of arguing on the internet. If I knew you better personally, or if we were talking over coffee or something stronger, then I would definitely throw down. But in this medium, it's just... it can be frustrating, and I don't want bad energy for either one of us based on some misunderstanding that might take 3 weeks to clarify.

I mean, I realize that you won't (can't!) throw rotten tomatoes at me or anything, but it's also very hard to have a meaningful dialogue about something so complex in this format. You might think it's a simple black and white matter, but I'd have things to say about that. And would you want to hear them? Or defend your position? Because I get your position. I respect it, I understand it, trust me. In 15+ year in this industry, most of them were spent being staunchly anti-spec.

I'll say again, I am not advocating anything, or trying to invalidate your point of view. I would never take that position or debate the merits of yours.

But I have thoughts and feelings about the graphic design industry in general that's softened and changed my views on the matter.

I don't blame designers for doing what they need to do. You blame the chicken, I blame the egg.

I just do my very best, continue to grow as a professional always, and not worry so much about what others are doing or even how unfair things seem at times. I have a boatload of experience and education, I am professional and serve my clients well... and I'm now competing with people who have literally never written a line of CSS, who swap out colors on a Themeforest Theme. So yunno... there are feelings. It works for me to accept things as they are and adjust my aim.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

• B
                            Reply to Poster for a school project
                            B
                            A beach party poster really ought to show a beach. Also, there's insufficient contrast between the text and the background. The darkness of the photo makes it look a bit gloomy.
                            Today, 04:04 PM
                          • PrintDriver
                            Reply to Best Computer
                            PrintDriver
                            Yah, Adobe programs try to leverage the graphics card, but the attempt is often problematic. I have GPU enhance shut off on all my Adobe programs.
                            Any new computer will run Creative Cloud. If it's...
                            Today, 03:26 PM
                          • PrintDriver
                            PrintDriver
                            You need to fix the border so that the corners are the same. There should be a button to click for that in Illustrator. In Indesign it is automatic.

If you were trying for an optical illusion...
                            Today, 03:21 PM
                          • Troep
                            Troep
                            got some problems with saving the file...
                            Today, 02:40 PM
                          • Troep
                            Poster for a school project
                            Troep
                            What do you think about my poster that i have made for a school project

Today, 02:36 PM
                          GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                          Working...
                          X