Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Logo and TM for Craftsman Jeweler

Hello all,

I'm not a graphic designer, but I've been around enough of you to know I have a problem and would appreciate some feedback. The line art for everything can be found here.

Background:

Our store is John Paul's Jewelers and I come from a long line of bench jewelers, or 'benchies'. "John Paul's" has a brand recognition as a craftsman jeweler, but not as a retail jeweler. Whenever we make something, we have to stamp it with a hallmark and a maker's mark. We basically sign our name next to the metal purity and it works a lot like a trademark. Our mark is a "J" merged with a "P" and has a good brand identity with customers, but is unidentifiable to the general public.

(maker's mark)

Goal:

People think of us when they want something made or fixed, but not to buy. I wanted people to think of us for everything. First me and my brother renovated an old bank and built some nice showcases so we had a real showroom. Then I redid the logo and started a new advertising campaign. FYI, "Jewelers" is superfluous. We are commonly known as "John Paul's".

(redesigned logo)
    Problem:

The logo and mark don't tie in with each other:

Click image for larger version

Name:	LogoAndTM.png
Views:	1
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	21019

(logo + maker's mark)

It's really a problem with single color:

Name:	LogoAndTMBW.png
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	21020

I'm trying to create a die for some watches, but can't find a single color version I'm happy with. The mark could be changed, but it would be difficult and there is a lot of loyalty built into it. The logo is a different story altogether. For most of our existence, we didn't have a logo so there's little visual recognition.

Any help is appreciated.

The mark you have should not be changed. Nor should it be covered up with other junk.
    Don't outline your font with skinny black lines.
    The all caps isn't working. Mostly because I don't think that is a small caps font. Could be, but the first letters J and P are overpowering the other letters.

The top left is working best but if you are not married to that font, I'd consider others and maybe dropping them down below the bowl of the P

Comment

I can't see your original logo, the first two images aren't appearing for me.

I echo everything PD said.

And also, you might rethink your font styles overall. There are designers who will disagree and say you need five different fonts, but unless you REALLY know what you're doing, stick to one or two. To be honest, I don't like any of your fonts, they just don't say "craftsman" or "high quality" to me. A good rule of thumb when using more than one font is to make sure there's good contrast. (i.e. Your logo is a serif font, your tagline is also a serif font - change that to a sans serif and it'll feel more professional.)

Here's a good list of fonts professional designers use that you can't go wrong with https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CBni6MZVIAET1tc.png:large

I know you didn't come here for a critique on that, but I do hope that helps!

Last edited by EC; 05-04-2017, 03:15 AM.
      You can fool some of the people all the time, and those are the ones you want to concentrate on. --GWB

Comment

First is working best.

Comment

Hi EricM81 and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
          -------------------
          Is it out of the question to hire a professional designer to create the logo for you?
          Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

I appreciate all the feedback. I played with some of the fonts EC mentioned. PD, what about using lower case caps in a different font? I really liked the look of using a serif and san serif.

Unfortunately, I still could not marry the logo with the mark to my satisfaction:

Name:	Asset 1.png
Size:	14.2 KB
ID:	21025

(PNG Version)

Line Art Version: Asset 2.pdf

Comment

I actually prefer the serif font when its on its own, but I like the sans serif fonts better when paired with the mark -- there's a casualness about that shape that I don't know is working with the more formal serif font.

Try this -- that last font you have there, I believe it's Din? Try that in all caps (because I think initial caps is too casual for what you do), and tuck it under the P so the mark and the text are not separated so much. Then adjust the scale so the "P" is bigger and the company name can live "tucked in" to that white space under the bowl of the P. Then experiment with putting it on one line, and on two lines, try to make the overall shape more "square" and less spread out. In other words, now things are all things sitting on the same line and not really related to one another, but somehow they have to feel more connected. Does that make sense/help?

Another thing to maybe try is putting the "JP" mark in a circle. That is, make the circle gray and reverse the JP in white. Then set it next to all caps sans serif.

Just things to try!
              Last edited by EC; 05-04-2017, 10:16 PM.
              You can fool some of the people all the time, and those are the ones you want to concentrate on. --GWB

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Glitchin
                Comment on Logo Feedback
                Glitchin
                I'm confused. This is one of your designs from your original post right? I meant if you could post an image of the logo the client liked, it might help. "They provided me a Logo they want it...
                Today, 03:24 PM
              • Glitchin
                Reply to Critique Please?
                Glitchin
                This is the latest version. I have thickened the CF and lowered the weight of the sound....
                Today, 02:58 PM
              • Glitchin
                Comment on Critique Please?
                Glitchin
                Hey thanks for the feedback.

I have tried what you're suggesting with shapes rather than lines, but it didn't work for me.

That's the challenge, making it looking like CF whilst...
                Today, 02:54 PM
              • PrintDriver
                Reply to Portfolio usage of work
                PrintDriver
                Nice article B, and illustrates my point about being an LLC or a sole proprietor. The LLC is a business entity separate from your personal life. With sole proprietorship, all of your belongings and assets...
                Today, 12:42 PM
              • B
                Reply to US Letter sized publications printed in European printing houses
                B
                Printers can trim to any size that's required. As a general rule, commercial offset printers don't print on already-trimmed paper stock. Instead they print multiple impressions on large sheets of paper...
                Today, 12:02 PM
              GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
              Working...
              X