No announcement yet.

Would my logo be classified as generic?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would my logo be classified as generic?

I'm currently in the process of redesigning my logo.
    This is the old logo (I didn't particularly like it but it was 'decided on' from a line up)

So I just began to shift things around, sketching and experiment using different fonts etc, and I came up with this. I've obviously just started (literally only spent about an hour so far) and this is just a concept and still needs a lot more work. My brief to myself is to have elements of
    • Minimal
    • Bold
    • Sleek
    • Square[ishness]

Now I log onto Pinterest and search for square logos and I come across this thing called "Generic & overused logo designs" and found many of these types of logos with the text breaking out of the box.
    Although I maybe a little biased but I think my logo is a little better than the ones below.

Now my questions are
    I know its not unique, but would my logo constitute being "generic"?
    Is it even possible to make a generic concept unique?
    Notes: "451" is the door number of our building. We do branding, printing and digital media." The square [is supposed to] represents a canvas.

I certainly like the new one better than the old one.

You might think the square represents a canvas, but everyone else will just see a square. The square is fine, though.

As for it being unique, well, it's not the same as the similar ones below, so in that sense it is unique. Personally, I wouldn't worry about it being similar in concept to someone else's regional logo hundreds or thousands of miles away. Now if, say, the Real Elite Investments logo was that of a well-known national company, I'd be inclined to stay away from anything that looked similar. But none of these logos look familiar to me, and yours is different enough to stand on its own.

Comment

What happens if you move?

Comment

Hi Acousticsman and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
        Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

I think you've executed it really well, and I like it, but I would be concerned about the generic/trend quality -- I see 500 "company name in a square" logos every day. It's going to be the next "v man" in a few years, I'd think on it from that perspective. Can you just lose the square? Is it needed? Could you just keep the top part of the square? (Could be cool!) Or not? The typography is pretty strong on its own.
          Last edited by EC; 05-08-2017, 11:31 AM.
          You can fool some of the people all the time, and those are the ones you want to concentrate on. --GWB

Comment

Originally posted by EC View Post
            I think you've executed it really well, and I like it, but I would be concerned about the generic/trend quality -- I see 500 "company name in a square" logos every day. It's going to be the next "v man" in a few years, I'd think on it from that perspective. Can you just lose the square? Is it needed? Could you just keep the top part of the square? (Could be cool!) Or not? The typography is pretty strong on its own.
            I agree with this feedback - I don't think your logo is 'generic' but I think you are on the track of developing something outside of the box. I'd challenge you as well to play with the type. What does the square add to the design? I understand the symbolism but is it necasary or can the type stand on its own?

Looking good just keep at it!
            Kevin

Comment

Hi EC and Kdigennaro, thank you both for your feed back. I have taken your comments on board and concentrated on the typography, doing away with the square. Its still not finished.

The difference between the two is in the "Signs & Graphics" I have added some cuts on it.
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by acousticsman View Post
                Hi EC and Kdigennaro, thank you both for your feed back. I have taken your comments on board and concentrated on the typography, doing away with the square. Its still not finished.

The difference between the two is in the "Signs & Graphics" I have added some cuts on it.
                Well done,

I personally like this a LOT more. It's cleaner and more modern feeling to me.

My one comment is on kerning. On the 'design &' line especially on the vertical logo see if you can space it out to fit the full width of that line. I'm not sure if I'm making sense but that line seems like it needs to be stretched another 10px to balance the design. I'm mobile now but when I get to a computer I can point it out if you don't understand what I'm saying.

Nice job sticking with it and continuing to work on it to turn a good mark into a great mark!
                Kevin

Comment

This is looking great acousticsman , I like it MUCH better without the square. It looks super as it is, but as Kdigennaro said, I think you can fine tune even further to take it to epic level. The cuts in the "451" are amazing, but the cuts in "Digital" are not as harmonious -- could you push that further? There's something about the G in particular that's slightly off...

Maybe experiment with squaring everything off and only cutting into the stem of the "G" to make it the same angle you're using in "451" (or maybe not, but I think that might help the 451 to relate more to the Design & Digital).

I realize you can't really do the same angle on the i's and the "l" as the "451" because it'll start looking comical, but there may be an opportunity to bring that same angle over in some other way. I'd love to see that and see what you think! Or, just square everything off on the "Design & Digital" and let the 451 be the star? Maybe see how that feels. Sometimes less is more. You did a little more work on that "451" and I think it's quite masterful.
                  Last edited by EC; 05-13-2017, 02:31 AM.
                  You can fool some of the people all the time, and those are the ones you want to concentrate on. --GWB

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                  Working...
                  X