Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• e Newsletter Discussion

Hey guys! New here!

I have some questions and am looking for a little creative brainstorming/critique.

I also want to start off by saying that I am NOT pleased with this work at all. This is something my company is making us do and I loathe the way it looks, but in comparison to our competitors we look like gold.

Here is the design http://i.imgur.com/FFCEHLo.png

Backstory:

I work for a company that specializes in Promotional Products. The tricky part is we do not sell directly to the end buyer, so we have to market towards distributors who then in turn want to market to their end buyer without any of our branding being all over the marketing material. SO, it makes my job extremely difficult as a designer because the things that normally apply to eNewsletters like reverse pyramid design flow, etc, etc don't always apply. These distributors want many ways to share with their end buyers. They want us (the suppliers) to give them everything they need to pass info on to their customers. If it's not easy for them to do this, they will not bother passing it on, so our emails end up looking like this.

Because of this my company is constantly wanting to overload these emails with gobs and gobs of information so there is hardly ever any room for white space, which I so desperately crave.

Also, we have now decided to add 6 freakin' buttons along the bottom of these emails so we have as much as 7 or 8 different courses of action we want these people to take and there is no clear and concise path for them to follow. It drives me NUTS and it looks awful, although this is a dream compared to what some of our competitors make theirs look like: http://i.imgur.com/tzvRhuC.png

Any thoughts on how I can make this better?

I am thinking of just adding a row of links at the bottom for them to be able to download all this extra crap and just making one direct CTA up near the top for the main course of action i want them to take OR adding a nav bar to the emails for them to download all the extra stuff or creating some nice icons and adding those down at the bottom of the email.

Oh yeah, about 90% of our customers use Outlook so I am limited in the way that I can design these emails.

It's just a lovely scenario isn't it? lol

Attached Files

Hi Kristinb737 and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
    Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

I use a few vendors that provide unbranded catalogs for me to use. I don't prefer email campaigns like this for ''passing on information'' to downstream buyers. A linkable page in a PDF catalog is more convenient. The same goes for when I'm specifying a media to a print vendor. I'll go to the media manufacturers webpage and find their sell-sheet PDF for the material I want and send the link.

We're totally transparent though about what we make vs what we outsource. If I'm doing 3000 little flags and 10,000 pin buttons for some event, my clients know I'm not cranking those out in-house. I have a webpage link site I can use to show the client what they are getting that does not include my wholesale pricing.

I don't particularly care if they see where the stuff is coming from. Wholesalers aren't selling to the general public, at least not as a rule. If the client does an end run, a lot of times they find out what it's like riding herd on an outsource printer or broker and come back to me the next time. LOL.

My outlook is set up not to download images unless I tell it to, so ad text better be darn compelling. I particular enjoy getting emails where all the template formatting comes up in the Outlook display. Or the database has entered all the variable data wrong. Those give me a good laugh. A few times though, I've gotten virus warnings on vendor imagery or PDFs. I'll send them an email and if it happens again, they get blocked and can call or send snail mail if they want to sell me something.

I think that was more a vent than a helpful reply.

Comment

Hi, I think these subtitles should be better aligned:

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Faye F. Cagle
          Reply to Work from UK for an US company
          Faye F. Cagle
          I think it shouldn't be a problem since you will be working remotely. You can get the wages in USA bank account to avoid tax issues in the UK. It may depend on what visa category your are applying in...
          Today, 02:05 PM
        • Biggs097
          Reply to Poster for a school project
          Biggs097
          Bring the type together. Unify the typography. Something like this. Just an idea.
          Today, 01:10 PM
        • seamas
          Reply to Poster for a school project
          seamas
          Two out of three of the performers were brutally murdered (and hated each other).

That's NOT a fun party.
          Today, 01:07 PM
        • seamas
          Reply to Please critique my jazz poster
          seamas
          Definitely a do-over.

One problem is you have too many quotation marks. You don't need them.

Also, when listing the band members, you should not have Milou on one line, then...
          Today, 11:21 AM
        • KitchWitch
          Reply to Trouble using DMV website? check it out
          KitchWitch
          Hi Yizh0x81 and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done...
          Today, 08:42 AM
        GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
        Working...
        X