Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have I been staring at my logo for too long?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have I been staring at my logo for too long?

Hi everyone,

First post, so here goes.

I made this logo a few months ago, and have been using it ever since.

But as I'm updating my website and 'freelance' brand, I'm questioning the concept.

My name: Dominic Tunstall

Alias for freelance studio: Tunstall

Concept: Combining Tunstall + Design in a minimal shape/logo

The colours are light and dark greys for reversed. Keeping it minimal to allow the work to speak (on my site)

I would later animate a stripped down version of the logo, to show a relationship/passion between Tunstall + Design, having the T swoosh in from the right, and the D swoosh in from the left, to connect the two. (Attached)

Let me know what you all think, are the 3 l ines too much? Can I connect them differently? What do you see? Would you make a connection as to what each letter stands for (being a client)?

Thanks in advanced.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-05-11 at 6.36.17 PM.png
Views:	2
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	21042 Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-05-11 at 6.36.23 PM.png
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	21043 Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-05-11 at 6.37.21 PM.png
Views:	1
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	21041
    Attached Files

Hi Tunstall and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
    Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

I like it a lot. I want the three lines at the bottom to have a vertical line connecting them like they're connected at the top -- mainly, because "direction" is a subconscious thing... leaving that open takes you "backward" and you really want to take your clients "forward". I'd just close the loop and call it good, it's a nice mark. Then get to work finding clients and doing good things... don't overthink.
      You can fool some of the people all the time, and those are the ones you want to concentrate on. --GWB

Comment

EC's thoughts mirror my own. The first thing I wondered was why the bottom-left wasn't closed off like the top-left is. I do like the look, though. It's nice.

Comment

Hi KitchWitch, thanks for the information. I will sure check them out.

Great feedback guys. I think my initial reasoning behind that was that the bottom lines was where it started and then finished at the closed lines at the top. But looking at that doesn't make sense, because we naturally draw our D's clockwise.

I've made some changes below.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-05-12 at 8.41.55 AM.png
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	21044

Comment

It's rad tunstall ! I love it.
            You can fool some of the people all the time, and those are the ones you want to concentrate on. --GWB

Comment

Hey tunstall

Really a good looking mark! To answer your question I think we all stare at our own designs for way to long .

Have you looked at this mark without the middle line? I really like the direction but I feel like the thru line takes me backwards. My eye starts at the top left and follows the contour of the 'D' backwards.

That would be my main feedback. I really do like the direction though - keep on it!

Best regards,
              Kevin

Comment

@ECThank you.

@Kdigennaro Yes, we definitely do! Yes I've tried removing the middle line, it just feels odd. My design principles are simplicity, sophistication and clear communication - I feel the 3 lines give it complexity and sophistication, all while remaining simple and clear.

Great feedback guys, really appreciate it. I'll start to be active across the forums from now on.

Cheers.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

• adamlevine
                  Games in this Christmas
                  adamlevine
                  Games in this Christmas
                  I am planning to organize play with his family during Christmas break. Can someone give me the idea about the game? The venue is indoors or outdoors
                  Yesterday, 10:11 PM
                • PrintDriver
                  Reply to Advice on simple banking-style design
                  PrintDriver
                  Too many words.
                  I grew up playing text only adventure games. The banking was always the easiest part. You put your loot into whatever passed for a ''bank'' and kept on playing.

For...
                  Yesterday, 08:09 PM
                • GreyOsprey
                  Protecting from unauthorized use by a school, when parent's hired me for the work?
                  GreyOsprey
                  Hey all,

I searched for any article like this, however found none. I'm figuring that is because of the strange nature of this project.

I was approached by one of the parent's...
                  Yesterday, 06:35 PM
                • Splashsky
                  Advice on simple banking-style design
                  Splashsky
                  So, for a little background, I'm working on a text-based web game as a passion project. I'm no designer; far from it. I'm working on the banking feature of the game, which as a few features. The banking...
                  Yesterday, 12:10 PM
                • PrintDriver
                  Comment on QuarkXPress 2017 introduced
                  PrintDriver
                  Hi wcali, nice rant. A lot of the software companies are forgetting their main purpose in life.
                  The Output.
                  As a printer, I have been going round and round with Adobe over features they have...
                  Yesterday, 08:46 AM
                GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                Working...
                X