Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The city of San Francisco needs help ... with their flag

Hi GDF,

As you know, most cities have a flag. And most cool cities have a cool flag. San Francisco is a cool city. Yet, somehow, it does not have a cool flag.

In fact, it is so uncool, that it was the main subject of mockery by Roman Mars in his 2015 Ted Talk on flag design. Guys, that's not good. Every great city deserves a flag to match, and the current one just isn't it.

As an SF resident, it'd be great to have a city flag that I could proudly display -- like I used to do in Chicago, a city that has an epic flag. Am I asking too much?

Well, I don't claim to have the answer, but I do have a conceptual contribution. Would love any feedback, suggestions, or examples of how to make this flag as cool as the city that flies it!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Flag concept description (3 small).png
Views:	1
Size:	7.1 KB
ID:	21070

SF's flag doesn't have the gold medal for ugly. Have you seen Boston's? I think that one breaks all of the ''rules'' about flags.

You like the Chicago flag? Are you Roman Mars? I particularly like the idea of adding a 5th star if the Cubs ever win the World Series...

This one looks like the beginnings of a football lineup.....
    Or is it hugs and kisses?
    (I didn't read your blurb because this week is not the week to be clicking on anonymous links. Virus going around.)

Comment

Hi Flag and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
      Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

Originally posted by PrintDriver View Post
        Or is it hugs and kisses?
        Or, maybe, tic tac toe. Sorry, but I don't think the symbolism you mentioned is especially obvious, and Os and Xs have too many other connotations. Besides, I don't think a reference to Amsterdam is appropriate, despite the liberal attitudes prevalent in both cities.

I did like the TED talk, and watched the entire thing. The city and state where I live, Salt Lake City, Utah, have terrible flags. Just a few years ago the city council held a contest to pick a Salt Lake City flag, but the mayor didn't like any of the entries, so he and the rest of the council drew up their own. It's amateurish, unmemorable and almost never used.

Municipal flags fall into a category I've always called "too important to let the professionals handle." In other words, it's so important to those making the decision that they can't let go, then end up doing it themselves and totally screwing it up. Corporate logos tend to often fall into that same category.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
        Working...
        X