• Show
Clear All

• Tips/What can i do to make this shirt design better? PLEASE HELP

Click image for larger version

Name:	forum kylie.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	226.8 KB
ID:	21073
    I am a novice when it comes to photoshop and designing and what not, but the only way to get better is to practice right? So here's my situation, i have this design, it looks very mediocre and weird to me, but i don't know what i can do to make to look better/ more appealing/not so bland and flat. Just give me every critique and tip you can give. Please and thank you. I have been sitting on this design for like two weeks wondering what could be done.

Hi Kazu and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
    ---------------------------------
    What is your goal with this design? We can provide suggestions if you have something you want to achieve. If you just want to make a pretty design, that's less objective. If it looks good to you, it's good. Do you have permission to use that person's image (I'm not sure who it is, maybe a Jenner?)?
    Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

• Kazu
      Kazu commented
      Editing a comment
      It is a jenner lol What i do with designs i just usually try to make whatever i can to the best of my ability mostly just for personal satisfaction but i do put them on redbubble and teepublic just in case someone wants to buy it so i make some side cash, But the main purpose is just for me and add to my very small portfolio of work.

• KitchWitch
      KitchWitch commented
      Editing a comment
      If you sell your designs you need to make sure you have permission to use the likeness of whatever famous person you choose. You could be looking at a huge lawsuit otherwise.

• Kazu
      Kazu commented
      Editing a comment
      Okay well this can just be for personal use. Nothing commercial.

The first question to ask yourself with T-shirt design is ''who is going to wear this and why?'' Maybe that's two questions.
    If the idea is to sell t-shirts, what is the message behind this one? Does it look ''cool''? Not so much. Is this a famous person(I don't know) that someone who is a fan would like on a t-shirt? In which case you have a possible lawsuit on your hands. Is the design interesting, eyecatching, etc? A medium shot figure taken flat straight-on has no excitement, no drama. This photo you have would be mediocre as a model portfolio piece, let alone something that encourages sales of T-shirts.
    When you put it on a shirt, is it going to be a big gray block background? Isn't that kind of boring too?

Comment

Did you vertically squish the image? Something doesn't look right there...

Comment

• Kazu
        Kazu commented
        Editing a comment
        i had to change dimensions to fit it on the post.

• PrintDriver
        PrintDriver commented
        Editing a comment
        A better way would have been to reduce the size of the image proportionally.

The colors are not pleasing and the lines are jagged. Technically not executed well -- study color theory and look at amazing designs to inspire you for color.

But the main problem is there's no idea here. Design is not decoration, making things pretty just to put graphics on an image for personal satisfaction. It solves a problem, it expresses an idea or concept. Study the basics of design principals and work hard.
      You can fool some of the people all the time, and those are the ones you want to concentrate on. --GWB

Comment

The first question to ask yourself with T-shirt design is ''who is going to wear this and why?''
        But the main problem is there's no idea here.
        So you see a common theme emerging here. We can offer up all kinds of technique talk, design dodges, and plugin stunts, but without substantive context, it's all just diddly-doodling to no appreciable end result.

Real design decisions and direction must be based on predetermined, well-defined objectives that are rooted in a strategy. The end result must fulfill a purpose. Likewise, when graphic design is critiqued, the analysis must be predicated on that same objectives-within-the-strategy; fulfillment-of-purpose basis. Without that, there is nothing to analyze.
        I'd rather be killed than come to your party, but if you don't invite me, I'll kill myself.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
        Working...
        X