No announcement yet.

What's wrong with my newsletter layout?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's wrong with my newsletter layout?

[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]I've done editorial graphic design for 15 years, learning via experience, via various tutorials, via trial and error[/COLOR][COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]. This practical education has had its advantages. But I know I would have benefitted from more formal training--and just more training and experience in general.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]Case in point: This is our organization's newsletter, which I design. I compare it to the editorial layouts I've saved on Behance and Pinterest and to hard copies here in my office, and I can tell there are things wrong with my fundamentals. Obviously I can never get as good as the pros who lay out Fast Company or National Geographic, etc. But I can get a lot better than I am now.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]Here's an example of our newsletter:[/COLOR]

https://indd.adobe.com/view/077e9522-9765-4ac6-8bcd-41d685e715d6

[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]Our subscribers view it online and/or in print. It is 8.5x11. And it needs help! Please hit me with all the constructive criticism you are willing to give, especially in terms of GRIDS and TYPOGRAPHY.

Thanks!
    [/COLOR]

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-05-18 at 1.37.34 PM.png
Views:	1
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	21076

Are you asking for opinions on aesthetic problems with the layout? If so, the main problem is that it's just about as plain-Jane boring as it could possibly be. I think you sort of knew that, though.

If you're asking how to improve it, the short answer is to take charge of the page and make it do your bidding instead of just timidly arranging objects on a piece of paper. Of course giving a layout just the right personality is where it gets more difficult. If you give it a try, though, I'm sure people here would be happy to critique your efforts.

Comment

Hi Nicefarms and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
      Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

In my opinion, the image should stretch more. I made an edit with a couple of details.

Comment

Hi there! This looks like something my boss would label "PowerPoint" - it looks good and clean but also looks like something a third grader could do. Perhaps it would be easier if you give us some context behind what the company you work for does, and who it is trying to appeal to?

Comment

Hi Granny and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
          Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Kdigennaro
            Reply to Feedback for a poster design
            Kdigennaro
            I like that you are answering the 'why' questions. Why is the text background red, why are you using the crumbled paper texture etc.

This shows that you are thinking threw what you are doing...
            Today, 08:38 PM
          • Kdigennaro
            What - If any - Certifications are taken seriously these days?
            Kdigennaro
            Hey guys,

I have been designing for about 10 years now as a freelancer and am entertaining the idea of trying to find a job at a creative firm. Right now I'm building my resume and portfolio...
            Today, 07:30 PM
          • Kdigennaro
            Reply to Business card logo feedback
            Kdigennaro
            Hey @someguy,

Thanks for sharing your designs! I would encourage and challenge you to try to narrow your design focus. Right now none of the designs are 'bad' but none are 'good'. Design,...
            Today, 07:10 PM
          • someguy
            Business card logo feedback
            someguy
            Hi all,

Got some really smart and creative advice on some early business card designs from this forum, went away and worked on one of the designs and two new ones.

Could I ask...
            Today, 11:56 AM
          • nes_bambi
            Feedback for a poster design
            nes_bambi
            Hi all, I am very new to graphics design and I am currently taking my first ever elective in design.

Here is the brief for my assignment:

This studio project explores typography...
            Today, 09:38 AM
          GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
          Working...
          X