Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Web developer logo

Hi

I am a freelance web developer looking to do a new logo for myself. Any suggestions / feedback on my ideas would be great.

Thanks

I'd use the straight-up-and-down Roman face rather than italics. which are mostly used for emphasis in body copy. When they're used like you've used them, they impart of sense of instability, leaning and tipping over. Unless the logo is suggestive of speed, movement or unless the slant angles match up with other slanted elements in the logo, I always stay away from using italics.

What is the dot before the J all about? It seems gratuitous.

Cyan, in my opinion, is a weak, sickly color to avoid. It's only useful purpose is being essential to CMYK printing. I feel the same way about magenta.

Making the logo all black except for the d makes the d stand out as being somehow different or more important than the other letters, but it isn't more important; it's just a d.

I don't really care for the combination of the W symbol with the logotype you've created. It's sort of like two separate logos that don't match each other. The W symbol is fine by itself (aside from not having an obvious B&W treatment). And the logotype is also fine by itself. But using them together just comes across to me as two stylistically different and clashing logos.

Comment

I think #2 is most successful. I actually like the "." -- I get it. And I'm a sucker for bright colors so that doesn't bother me. My brand colors are hot pink and black so you might not want to take my word for it. I can't really see -- is the tagline surrounded by two different bracket styles?

I don't think the "W" mark in the last versions is all that remarkable, if you want to go that route I'd try to make that mark a little more unique than just overlayed triangles. I agree with B -- it doesn't really go with the other treatment and gets a little too busy (a more stylizing "W" paired with less stylizing type would probably work better).

You could do something with the .jdw if you need a standalone icon for favicons etc. if that's the rationale for the w in the circle.
      Last edited by EC; 05-19-2017, 03:46 AM.
      You can fool some of the people all the time, and those are the ones you want to concentrate on. --GWB

Comment

For me, the biggest problem with all the examples is that the encroachment of the w on the d causes them to read "jawhite".
        I'd rather be killed than come to your party, but if you don't invite me, I'll kill myself.

Comment

Hi Guys

I have listened to the feedback and have come back with some options.

@b I have tried some of your suggestions with the typeface and colour. The . before the name is what is used for class names fin CSS and inside the {} contain the properties so i thought it would be a nice touch to incorporate these elements into the design even if it wasn't instantly clear to everyone why.

@EC I have tried some options with a different mark sticking with the geometric theme but incorporating a JW.

HotButton I have tried the design without the encroachment.

Comment

Now the "J" looks like an "i". Was there a reason for this change?

Comment

Agreed with cableninja yes "J"looks like an "I"

Comment

I like the last one in particular. Also i get the .divName reference with the other designs. Correct me if I am wrong about that. One tip that significantly changed my design as of recent, is make ONE thing stand out about your logo. You have the W, and the cut outs of jdwhite. Less is more.

Comment

Hi Guys

Based on some of the comments I have redesigned with a different typeface and tried to give the whole thing a more web developer feel.

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks

Comment

I get that the brackets form a W, that reads, but is it a good idea?

If you have some quality that may distinguish you from your competitors, and is of value to potential clients, I would try to promote that quality in your branding. If not, and you just want to use your name, I'd focus on aesthetics and not try to be too clever. The two triangles in a circle in the first round, for example, is aesthetically pleasing, reads as a W, and is easily recognizable. Just use regular type with it though, it's too busy otherwise.

Comment

Thoughts:
                      -Who's the audience? If they aren't other developers, I'd ditch the use of brackets, css class name dots etc, because it just seems too technical (and they won't understand it).

-Why are you shortening your name to jd? First names are a good way to make a connection, so surely you'd want them to know you first name to better relate to you.

-Think what you are trying to emphasize. Are you already well known as a web developer or do you plan to do other services than web? If the answer is yes, then it's fine to emphasise your name. If the answer is no, then maybe you want the logo to push the web development part. People only see your logo for a split second. It would be awful if someone was looking for a developer, but skipped over you, because they couldn't work it out from the logo.

Comment

At a glance, I see a tooth.
                        Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

• MilosN
                          Reply to Car Design
                          MilosN
                          Hmm, i saw first ruler?
                          I think if you want design car, u dont need it?

Just your free hand and it is...
                          Today, 06:27 PM
                        • MilosN
                          Need urgent help?!
                          MilosN
                          Hello all,

Since recently i start design in android development (UI/UX), but i need help. I have a great (all said that) idea about new (and my first) android app. but i dont have a skill...
                          Today, 06:24 PM
                        • Caleson
                          Questions about Business Cards, Self Promotion
                          Caleson
                          So I decided I should develop a business card, partly for freelance promotion, because I feel silly when someone asks for a card and I have nothing, but also perhaps to hand over after a job interview....
                          Today, 03:52 PM
                        • KitchWitch
                          Reply to Hello eveyone !
                          KitchWitch
                          Hi MilosN and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done...
                          Today, 01:56 PM
                        • MilosN
                          Hello eveyone !
                          MilosN
                          Hello there,

My name is Milos and i come from Serbia. Nice to meet you.
                          My hobby is web development but in last time i want to create my first android application.
                          Google said...
                          Today, 01:38 PM
                        GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                        Working...
                        X