Postcards and 3-D Signage concepts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Postcards and 3-D Signage concepts

Hello. Any feedback on my concepts is welcome.

I'm designing some postcards to give away as a way to show examples of what I can do for clients. They're not really meant to be a resume or an overview, just a few examples that I think represent me. Any advice on making them more cohesive? I have similar patterns and drawings I can use.

I'm also playing with some concepts for 3-D signage. My idea is to mount my logo, cut from black acrylic on to a wooden backboard. It's supposed to reflect the kind of thing i'd be able to produce for a client.

Any advice on the layout or proportions of the sign? The plan is to have it wall mounted, and the logo is about 60cm in diameter.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Mockups.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	324.1 KB
ID:	21081

Making a sign isn't just making a pretty thing. There are mechanics involved.

1. Acrylic/glues don't like to stay stuck to wood. Maybe if the wood were lacquered or sealed for a smooth surface, but otherwise, no. Even dead wood is a ''live'' surface that shrinks and swells to changes in humidity, often enough to break a glue joint in a matter of weeks. Use an acrylic that is thick enough to blind mount two studs (at minimum) into the back of each piece. At least 3/8" thick (you can try 1/4" and use a bottom tap, but you need to get at least a half turn on the stud threading.)

2.Once you know the acrylic thickness, scale from there. Lettering with small counters, like you have here, will ''fill in'' if the acrylic is too thick at too small a size and it will be illegible.

3. I see a note that you want brass lettering on black acrylic giving a black reveal? Hard to read your notes. Increase the size even more and determine how the brass is being affixed to the acrylic. Like acrylic and wood, acrylic and brass aren't like materials and the thickness of the brass -and its weight- determines whether or not you can use an adhesive without sheer failure if not using studs.
    Oh, yeah, and brass turns green if you don't clear coat it.

4. Be sure the black acrylic is opaque so the studs don't show.

5. Find someone who can laser cut this. I'm assuming you are going for the glossy finish face and laser cutting will give you a nice polished side edge.

6. Watch your budget. When people do these things for themselves, they tend to splurge a bit, something a client might not appreciate.

On the design, you have a rough sketchy circle element. You need to make a decision on whether the sign blank circle is just as rough, or if it is more perfect, or if perhaps a circle-shaped sign blank isn't really appropriate.

As a potential client, I'd rather see work done for someone else in a working environment as a portfolio piece....
    Last edited by PrintDriver; 05-22-2017, 07:11 AM.

Comment

Hi Chee and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
      Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
      Working...
      X