Need help choosing between two logos

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help choosing between two logos

Hey everyone and thank you for having me in this community!

I really need some help choosing between two logos. I'm opening up my own creative studio and I'm having trouble being objective enough to brand it. The name I picked is Qualix Media.

We picked the word Qualix as a reference to the phenomenon of qualia (which describes the qualities of an experience). Vsauce explains it really well in one of his videos and his real world example of it is this: if two people look at a strawberry and both agree that it's red, how do you know that the other person doesn't actually see it green but has been conditioned to call that color red. Doing a quick image search on the word qualia will actually show an image exemplifying just that.

So with all this in mind, our first logo idea was this green strawberry in a speech bubble which I thought would imply the word "media" as well. But I ran it by some people (around 20 people) and asked them what it represents to them and what they think that company sells and the results were disappointing. Only two people said something remotely related with what I hoped to transmit and the rest of them thought of health related stuff (probably because of the green) and food related stuff.

Ergo, we decided to go in another direction and we came up with a light-bulb with the letter M in it (really original, I know...). I think it's clearer now what the company does but I feel like the logo is very common and doesn't differentiate us at all from other businesses out there.

I've attached both logos here and I would really appreciate any feedback you guys can come up with. If you think both are s***t, say that as well.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help out!
    Attached Files
    Light-bulb
    0%
    Strawberry
    50.00%
    Pick something else
    50.00%

The lightbulb is a cliche, and besides, it's an old-fashioned, energy-gulping incandescent bulb. The strawberry inside the speech bubble, on the other hand, looks like a fresh and interesting story waiting to be told.

I think you're overthinking the whole importance of people being able to infer the whole qualia, green strawberry story. Nobody's going to figure that out on their own, but it doesn't matter. What's important is that it's an interesting visual that begs for an explanation instead of just being dismissed and forgotten as another lightbulb. And luckily, you'll have a story to tell when people ask.

I don't really think the weight of the green line complements the strawberry all that well, though. If it were me, I might make the speech bubble a solid green, then reverse the strawberry out of it.

Comment

I often joke on here that if logos were meant to illustrate what the company does for a living that a designer would have a lightbulb floating above a keyboard. You've got half of it right.

First time I've seen one in years.

Isn't your light bulb a little old-fashioned and not so energy-efficient? You sure you want to go that way?

Branding isn't about asking random people what they see when they look at a strawberry in bubble. Branding is what happens when a logo is associated with the work you do over time. It isn't always instantaneous. Not too many people are going to get the reference to the somewhat esoteric and highly debatable theory of qualia. Anyone short of a philosophy major or psych major is just not going to have a clue.

Edit:
      Didn't hit the post button fast enough. LOL.
      Hi B.

Comment

• B
        B commented
        Editing a comment
        But we more or less said the same thing, so it must mean we're onto something.

Thank you both for such awesome responses and a much needed reality check!! You are absolutely right! Branding is all about the story and the message you want to send. Everything else has to follow that, not the other way around. I've been going about it all backwards and it's time to revisit the basics. Got lost in the details there for a while

Thank you for reminding me of that.

Originally posted by B View Post
      I don't really think the weight of the green line complements the strawberry all that well, though. If it were me, I might make the speech bubble a solid green, then reverse the strawberry out of it.
      Interesting that you mentioned that B, because that's how we did it at first. But then we thought that the message wasn't clear enough. Clearly overthinking again...

Kudos to both of you! I owe you a beer/coffee or whatever you guys drink :P
      Attached Files

Comment

Hi Aeon and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.

This is super nit-picky, but the seeds on the strawberry look upside down to me.
        Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
        Working...
        X