Please comment on my design

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please comment on my design

I am a novice designer and this is my first design. I have not taken any formal study just tried my hands on . would like to hear some comments about it. thank you in advance
    Attached Files

Hi Rohanjit and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.

A little more information would be helpful. Is this a poster to sell earrings? Who is your audience? What message are you trying to send?
    Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

There are many reasons why earrings are shown on jeweler's stands.
      Ears are gross (even the prettiest of them have hair.)
      Earings in holes in ears are gross.
      Cutting people's faces off is gross.
      Just generally not pleasing at all.

Think glamour shots. Not literal shots.
      If the earring is the focus of the design, it should at least be in focus. The ear is in focus, but the earring is not.

What is the purpose of the poster? A design has a message to sell. What's your design selling?
      Did you design the ''logo''?
      Last edited by PrintDriver; 07-07-2017, 09:42 AM.

Comment

Building further on PrintDriver's critique:
        • The photo is simply no good; if you shot it, I'd hope you got some better shots than that; if you only chose it, it was a poor choice
          • It's ugly. Shooting a human model entails a lot more than aiming a camera at a person. When it comes to hair and skin, the camera's brutal honesty is difficult to overcome. Some retouching could help, but the foundation is lain at the shoot.
          • It's dull and lifeless. Not worthy of "hero shot" application. A full-page image like this should present something that is near- un-achievable in real life. To be memorable It needs to be a startlingly rare sight; not something you could see just anywhere.
            • If the subject is earrings, one that looks like it may have just been plucked off the 50-cent flea market table probably isn't the best choice. And, any earring should be hanging vertically, even if that means rotating the image to make it so.
        • Maybe it's a sign or poster marking the location of earrings, presumably among other items from which this distinguishes them for the wayfinder, in which case, the lone word "earrings" (with 'here is where the ________ are...' understood), may suffice. But otherwise, it's got no message or other ostensible purpose.
        • The cartoon earrings are superfluous, lazily rendered, and in conflict with the one in the photo. If I was the AD on this project, I'd cut 'em.
        I'd rather be killed than come to your party, but if you don't invite me, I'll kill myself.

Comment

I actually like it! I like the design you've done on the font.

Comment

Wow, what a tough crowd! Ears can be rather erotic when shot right

I'm unsure what was designed here? The earring itself, the layout, the typography, the photo, etc.? And as with any design, what problem is the design meant to address? Is it a magazine ad? Is it a flyer? There's no call to action for the viewer to do anything, nor is there a course of action for the viewer to take. There's just a photo with the word "Earrings," which is intended to do what? Tell people that the photo is of an earring, or is it meant to entice people into buying these particular earrings or remembering this particular brand or shopping at a certain store? If so, there's nothing in the ad or flyer (or whatever it is) giving people any information.

Good design isn't about putting together nice imagery. Making things look nice is certainly important, but doing so is a means to an end -- not the final goal. The real goal is to solve a problem and accomplish an objective. Typically, in an ad (if that's what this is), the goal is to sell products and to further brand recognition for the client. Your design doesn't do these things. It's just a photo of an ear with an earring and a word that says earrings. Even if someone absolutely loved the earring in the photo and wanted to buy a set, there's no information in the ad telling someone how to do so.

Don't get discouraged by these critiques. As you said, you're a novice and this is your first attempt, which it totally fine. You should see my first attempt at a classroom design assignment (30 years ago). I have it hanging on the wall near my desk at home. I keep it there as a reminder of how much I didn't know.

Comment

Well, the OP could also consider that HB and I aren't exactly what you'd call the average demographic for something like this.
              Maybe I shouldn't speak for HB, but I know I'm not, LOL. I absolutely hate watching someone put on pierced earrings. From afar, they're fine. Don't get me started on those ring plug things. Nasty.

Comment

• HotButton
                HotButton commented
                Editing a comment
                Hah...I may be somewhat less averse to ears in general myself, but in terms of marketability, an image cropped down on a woman's ear (don't even consider a disgusting man's ear), must have a lot of good stuff to succeed. The neck and jaw profiles, as well as proportion, could easily make or break the composition, and the hair is critical. The OP's image is actually lighted sort of interestingly, but falls short in those other areas.

Originally posted by ScotchBennett View Post
              I actually like it! I like the design you've done on the font.

Hi ScotchBennett and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
              Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
              Working...
              X