Magazine Spread Critique

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magazine Spread Critique

I'm trying to practice designing a magazine spread. This is an article that I got from Yes! Magazine aka the text isn't mine. The intended purpose is to let American voters know about the positive impact of electric trains. Please let me know any feedback you have for the layout/design of the spread.
    Attached Files

You didn't do anything at all different from that long, text heavy Yes article, except colorize the leaders.

http://www.yesmagazine.org/issues/sa...risis-20170530

So is that a natural gas powered electric train, or a coal powered electric train or a nuclear powered electric train? In the US, those three make up the top 79% of electricity production here.

Comment

Hi Marzbarz and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
      Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

It would have been nice to see it in spreads.

The title page feels like 1979, the image isn't very exciting and the text is quite vanilla. The typesetting looks like there was minimal done, no margins around images, pull quotes with widows; it felt like a wall of text and it is. Everything needs more breathing room.
        Design is not decoration.

Comment

The typesetting, if you could call it that, needs a lot more attention.
          • 3-column, serif-faced type leaded that tightly is really "noisy" and begs for a baseline grid, but you'll have to work to make it right
          • The pull-quotes were obviously just typed (or pasted) and left however they fell; a short word like "talked" should never be left hyphenated, even in body type, let alone display type
          • Every paragraph gets an indent and (some odd, small amount of) space before/after?
          Last edited by HotButton; 07-18-2017, 10:52 AM.
          I'd rather be killed than come to your party, but if you don't invite me, I'll kill myself.

Comment

You need to work on the type.

Those are huge indents, and you don't need to have indents PLUS space after the paragraphs. Choose one.
            The columns look really messy. I wouldn't suggest justified alignment, but you can manually adjust the columns to make the right edge less ragged.

You have a very large number of widows. You need to eliminate all of them.
            Keep Saturn in Saturnalia.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

• mixlikes
              Reply to ​What is your favorite forum software?
              mixlikes
              Favorite forum software:
              1. phpBB
              2. MyBB
              3. Vanilla Forum
              4. XenForo
              5. Simple Machines Forum
              Today, 03:43 AM
            • Caleson
              Reply to Questions about Business Cards, Self Promotion
              Caleson
              Actually, I was referring to applying for employment. I'm kind of mixed on whether or not it would be a good idea, but I think overall, if the card is pretty creative, it could serve as a memorable token....
              Yesterday, 09:59 PM
            • fredz0003
              Logo critique for my personal blog
              fredz0003
              Hi, I am new to this forum. A bit about myself I am a programmer, and trying to build a professional looking blog. I've done web dev before, but I've never considered myself the artistic type. I followed...
              Yesterday, 04:57 PM
            • B
              Reply to Any Tech Geeks please help me?!
              B
              Of the options you mentioned, upgrading the RAM will make the most difference for the cost. Eight megabytes of RAM is almost a bare minimum when working with Adobe's graphics applications -- 16 is even...
              Yesterday, 04:56 PM
            • mrturner
              Any Tech Geeks please help me?!
              mrturner
              I am currently doing my graphics design work on my laptop which specs are listed below, It really does struggle to handle software like photoshop and illustrator. Do I, upgrade RAM? An 8GB ram stick for...
              Yesterday, 04:16 PM
            GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
            Working...
            X