Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resume Critique

Hello,

Here is my resume that I designed, and I was hoping to get some feedback on overall design and I guess the content as well. If it helps to know, this is for entry level and I'm still in college for the time being. I also want to make sure this stands out well enough and if there is anything that comes across as cliche or generic that should be fixed. I haven't taken Professional Practices (in graphic design) until the upcoming fall semester, so I guess I'm a little ignorant about specific principles when it comes to designing a resume (if there are any). Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks!
    Attached Files

Hi b_o_i and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
    Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

Hey boi, just took a look over your resume and I have a few notes.

First, I like that green. It pairs well with your use of negative space and rounded aesthetic, and gives the resume a contemporary feel. I would suggest possibly adding a secondary color for the smaller body text to create a bit more hierarchy (perhaps a navy or dark gray). As it stands with everything green, I feel like everything other than the section titles in all caps sort of blends together. Adobe's online color tool (color.adobe.com) is a neat tool for refining color palettes.

As far as content, I think perhaps you could go in and begin cutting extraneous info. The "relevant courses" section is a bit redundant when you already list the programs and skills that you gained from taking said courses. I'd also cut the 2017 out of all the Adobe programs and just put Mac OS under your comp skills.

Under design summary, you list 3rd place for the SCF Art Exhibition. I'm not familiar with it, but unless it's a huge nation wide contest with tons of entries, I may consider cutting both the 2017 and 2016 exhibition. Others may disagree with me, but I consider that to be similar to the GPA rule of not mentioning it if it's not something that really stands out. Then again, since you're light on experience, it may help to show that you had the courage to put your work out there.

Finally, something to note in your little blurb on the left side: I'm not entirely sure "spontaneous" is something you'd want to advertise to a potential employer.

Overall, good job. It's headed in the right direction.

Comment

You'd get more of a response with either a link to a portfolio site or a hosted photo. Quite a few of us don't download unsolicited PDFs.
        Not from single digit posters. Or when resumes are emailed directly to us.

Comment

I redid the design and content. I changed the body text to 50% tinted black for more contrast, giving it more hierarchy (navy, dark gray, and darker colors in general conflict with the green). I also kept some content for relevant courses that I felt were necessary because they signify principles I've learned about typography, desktop publishing, etc. that wouldn't be disclosed anywhere else on the resume.

I look forward to feedback on this version as well.

Thanks again!

http://imgur.com/a/HZ8HL

Comment

The dates above the jobs and education make it difficult to tell which one they are related to. At first glance I thought you had been an intern since 2015.

Have you tried moving around or completely taking away the thick lines? I would be interested to see what it would look like without them.

Comment

Taking calebninja's advice, I redid the dates and took out the thick lines. However, I don't know if I want to take the thick lines out because that's one of the main elements of the design and it gives it that rounded aesthetic to pair with the font.

http://imgur.com/a/XuMTJ

Comment

Here is v3, I've added extra space so that what's listed in education and work are more distinguishable from each other. I also took out the thick lines in this one, although I don't know if I want to do that for the final version since it's one of the main elements of the design. To me, it gives the design that rounded aesthetic and pairs well with the rounded font.

http://imgur.com/a/X8ukr

Comment

Ok, had a look at this.

This might be an old fogey thing, but I'm not a fan of gray text. It's somewhat irritating to read. This isn't too bad as it's on the somewhat darker side of the spectrum. But when paired with the light green, the look comes across as someone wanting to blend into the scenery. I'm not saying use screaming pink and orange, it's just coming across as really laid back and mellow. If that's what you're aiming for, fine.

I'd downcheck you on not using full sentences.
                  Your intro blurb has no subject and is missing an indefinite article even though it's trying real hard to be a sentence. It's sort of a descriptive blurb about yourself. It doesn't really tell me a lot about what you bring to the table. Every designer should be bringing the things you list. What can you do for me?

The rest of your resume sort of gets into lists, but those lists are missing words as well.

You don't have to point out that you are an entry level designer. That's fairly obvious based on the short work experience and the use of resume filler.

Design summary - that's all pretty standard stuff. ''Wayfinder systems'' caught my eye cuz I'm a sign guy. Your portfolio better show something good....

Every college has a yearly art exhibition. Is this one juried? If not juried, having 2 pieces in a college art show isn't all that special, and might look like grasping at straws.

All of your art courses are relevant in some way or other.

If someone asked, ''we love your stuff but you are mac only?'' how would you respond?

''Basic navigating computer software and information systems'' other than not being a sentence, means what exactly? I doubt you could navigate my job-flow system without me walking you through it more than a few times - and I wouldn't expect you to be able to figure it out. Basic computer use is assumed in this day and age. Any design student can navigate a desktop.

What is a ''Cert, Graphic Design Support?
                  What does an AS in Graphic Design Technology cover? When I see Tech, I think web, but you say you only have basic HTML and CSS skills. Do you rely on Dreamweaver for your coding or do you just use it for code layout purposes?

That's all the tearing apart.
                  The font size and choice is nice. There are no huge rivers. The text is just a little tight to the green lines but that wouldn't be a downcheck. No spelling errors is a plus. The 3 column look is fine, but I think you are sacrificing your words to the look. Make the wording consistent in some way as well. You have one widow you might want to think about.

Last edited by PrintDriver; 08-12-2017, 04:25 PM.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                  Working...
                  X