Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crit my portfolio.

Hey all,

My name is Darrin and I'm beginning to look for a job in graphic design. This is my latest work and I'm still building my portfolio so it's not "full", but I'm adding to it weekly. I would like some feedback on how I can imporove my work in a general way and/or improve my website. I use squarespace for my website and there are some limitations on what I can do with the site. I tried to keep it minimal for ease of use. Again, I'm adding to it.

I need help!

Thanks all!

This is a very, very quick crit. And it's a common "mistake" or issue with junior designers. With a portfolio of work, it's critical to include a little write up explaining who the client is, what sort of brand they have (fun, corporate, technical, vibrant, etc.) and/or what sort of purpose the piece was intended for. Otherwise it's all in a vacuum and it doesn't show that your design is thought out or whether it even works as intended.

Also, you don't need too explain what logos, print or UI/UX are Other than that, for the most part everything is clean and easy to navigate which is a plus, just work on giving some context for the work being shown. Your about section is also pretty indistinguishable form probably thousands of other designers. It's good that it is short and sweet, but I'd tweak it to give it a little more personality.

N.A.N.K.A. "We Kick Because We Care."

Comment

Originally posted by Craig B View Post
      Also, you don't need too explain what logos, print or UI/UX are...
      Right. As a graphic designer, you need to think more about your target audience. Why would someone who is in a position to hire you be interested in your superficial explanation of UX, or your editorializing about whether print is dead? This only exposes your relative inexperience, and sets the wrong tone right at the top level of each section. (That tone being: 'This is only here because I thought there should be something here, regardless of whether it adds true value.')

Forget about category commentary and come up with a substantive paragraph for each piece, explaining the impetus and/or strategy behind it. Then equate one or two of the most distinguishing design decisions back to that impetus/strategy. For a piece that was actual client work, a line or two about how it performed (in measurable results), can go a long way toward impressing the prospective client/manager. Don't write a book; just hit the high notes and make it concise but informative to demonstrate your written communications skills. The graphics you post are important, but to seriously compete for work, the thought process you demonstrate and your ability to communicate are more important than your graphical prowess.
      I'd rather be killed than come to your party, but if you don't invite me, I'll kill myself.

Comment

There are many ways , i understand what hotbutton is saying. Have you ever seen when fashion designers Sketch a dress add some colour tabs and textures with write ups on the though process of the design. It offers alot more in terms of information about the image and can destroy any misinterpreted styles. Ive tried this approach and it did not go down well. I believe that this is because my target audience does not relate to that type of display. Some like a quick clean representation of what the design looks like in action . Others like the logo flat on a plain background without the interruption of a mock-up, maybe some explanation with it like a corporate presentation .

I wouldnt say include all types because that would just be a mess. YOU need to figure out what suits the audience you are going for. First thing i ever learnt about graphic design is all the work you do is for the client not yourself. They put the money in your pocket, and as moralistic as all artists would like to be about freedom of expression and the boundless powers of art, money is what puts bread on the table. Unless you are the next Micheal Angelo or van Gogh you can design for yourself and express yourself with no limit. Run those odds if you want mate .

You can design no doubt , your presentation just needs to be looked at from marketing perspective.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
        Working...
        X