Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Portfolio Feedback

Hello All,

My name is Mark and I currently run my own design studio. I've been very successful in getting clients but I was wondering what I could do to bump it up a level.
    I would love some feedback on my portfolio/site and what I could do to improve it.

You can view my Portfolio here: http://swatchandpixel.com/

Thanks so much,
    Mark

What do you mean by bump it up a level? What do you consider the next level to be?
    Are you an illustrator or a graphic designer? Do you have schooling as a designer?
    Most of this is more illustrative and there is no real design meat going on here. The No Food poster in particular, where the illustration draws more attention to being ''food friendly'' than the admonishment that ''food is not welcome,'' the words become secondary to the characters.

All of the work looks the same. If you can only do one style, only people who think they need that style will think about hiring you.

Your own logo presentation shows web-only colors and uses a blue I would find very hard to reproduce in CMYK printing. Most people won't be savvy to that. But a good marketing person - the type who does overhires or brings in outside design - would definitely notice.

That portfolio is a little buggy.
    Some of the images wouldn't load for me. Just blank pages when clicked.
    Last edited by PrintDriver; 08-27-2017, 06:31 AM.

Comment

Hi Swatchandpixel and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
      Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

You have some nice illustrations here. Being an avid Chrono Trigger fan, I can appreciate the Frog illustration.

I'm with PD tho, not really sure what you're going for here. Are you wanting to appeal to clients who are seeking a children's book style of illustration?

Most of your projects have little to no information about them. For example the game studio description where you state

"
        I made this for an up and coming game studio. Wanted to give it a corporate yet playful feel without making it too childish."

Did you want to give it a corporate/playful feel or did the client want you to? How does the gaming studio logo achieve the client's desires? What was your process leading up to the final draft?

These are important questions, that if answered, can give a deeper insight into your work and help the viewer appreciate and understand what they're looking at.

Comment

Aside from the Rootbeer piece, these items have very little market value. I could see these items as maybe social media icons - or items that could run along-side a company logo. But otherwise it will difficult to make a buck with these (or designs like these). It's a very narrow portfolio.

I'm not saying the work is bad per se, just that I might not hire you if this is what you presented to me.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. I'm not sure if I agree with everything that was said, but it did give me some ideas of what I can improve. Two things I'll take away with this is creating context and development of better copyright. Thanks again.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

• mixlikes
              Reply to How they did the drawings like this?
              mixlikes
              For perfect drawing, you need to learn photoshop so that you can give a nice texture to an image. There are lots of tools to edit an image that can be used for many purposes....
              Today, 02:27 AM
            • hank_scorpio
              Reply to I apparently "need" to get a new laptop.
              hank_scorpio
              Don't have the new mac book pro.

What type of software are you using? Is it specific for the Mac? What type of work are you doing?

Do you really need a Mac? You can put together...
              Today, 12:59 AM
            • Magical Unicorn
              I apparently "need" to get a new laptop.
              Magical Unicorn
              The laptop I'm writing this post on is *calculating in head* going on 7 years old. It's a well loved 13" white MacBook from when I started high school in 2010. I've vehemently stated that I don't...
              Yesterday, 11:38 PM
            • B
              Reply to Please review my -responsive design- website
              B
              As for content, an obvious addition would be the inclusion of several good before-and-after samples of audio that you've cleaned up.
              Yesterday, 06:54 PM
            • RMo
              Reply to Please review my -responsive design- website
              RMo
              Hey,

some quick things:
              • your page is just a tiny bit too wide. There is a scrollbar at the bottom. That shouldn't be there
              • add a favicon
              • there is a massive amount of space after loading
              Yesterday, 03:18 PM
            GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
            Working...
            X