Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Throw this logo through the wringer

Hello,

We are designing a new logo for our company, and I just do not like where it is currently at.

Click image for larger version

Name:	SS (2).png
Views:	1
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	21445
    Context: We are Canadian. We do apparel branding (Embroidery, Screen printing on tshirts).

Let me know your thoughts:
    • What can be improved?
    • Suggestions on color changes?
    • Suggestions on a different font?
    • Should this design be simplified?

One big component of this is that we will be making a new channel letter sign. Unfortuntaely, I do not think this logo will look good as an outdoor sign. (Just my opinion, let me know yours)

Hi Whuang4 and welcome to GDF.

Are you designing this logo, or on the team that is? We don't allow crit of work that isn't created by the person posting it.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
    Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

You aren't making a channel letter sign out of that - unless you are doing it very very very large.
      Or we may have a different opinion on what channel letters are.
      In my book they are either metal sided letters with a plexi face that are usually internally lit, or they are metal sided letters with a metal face that are either completely unlit or halo lit (there is one more option of an open face can letter stuffed with neon tubing to give a retro look, usually faced with clear plex to keep the birds out, but not with this logo.)

I make signs all day long.
      In the second logo down, If everything black is a channel letter, the complexity/sharp points of the leaf-w are going to need some tweaking and the small letters of the tag line and the stick and details of the leaf-w may be too small to stuff in even the smallest of exterior LEDs or neon tubing. You have to accommodate not only the lighting (if any) but also the mounting studs for the letters.

On the designs with the tag in a brush stroke, do you plan to make the top of the brush stroke solid and apply the smaller letters as vinyl?

Comment

In my opinion, I think it is too busy. There are way too many ideas going on in one small design space. Especially the first one. Depending on where this logo will appear/be produced, I think it may be difficult to make out the smaller details (like the small detail on the end of the "N" - is that supposed to be a needle threading it?)
        • What can be improved? SIMPLIFY! Do you need all those tiny details? Is the Canadian leaf necessary?
        • Color wise - I don't mind the colors. For logos especially for something like a print shop, I would tend to veer more towards bright/eyecatching colors. I think the blue is nice, but perhaps a bit brighter? It seems a bit muted as it is now. Or if you still want to pay respect to your Canadian roots without having the obvious leaf, you could try it in a Canadian red?
        • Fonts - I don't mind the font, I am not particularly fond of the "W" font in the leaf. You could perhaps try some other font pairings, and give it a bit of variation instead of having the name and tagline in what appears to be the same font but different weights?
        • Simplify? - YES. That is my biggest critique of this logo. Perhaps you can introduce a vector image that alludes to the fact that you do printing and embroidery, but not make it so cluttered. Take advantage of negative space within letter...I don't mind the fact that you are doing something with the N, but from an outsider's perspective it took me a while to understand what it is.

Comment

Originally posted by PrintDriver View Post
          You aren't making a channel letter sign out of that - unless you are doing it very very very large.
          Or we may have a different opinion on what channel letters are.
          In my book they are either metal sided letters with a plexi face that are usually internally lit, or they are metal sided letters with a metal face that are either completely unlit or halo lit (there is one more option of an open face can letter stuffed with neon tubing to give a retro look, usually faced with clear plex to keep the birds out, but not with this logo.)

I make signs all day long.
          In the second logo down, If everything black is a channel letter, the complexity/sharp points of the leaf-w are going to need some tweaking and the small letters of the tag line and the stick and details of the leaf-w may be too small to stuff in even the smallest of exterior LEDs or neon tubing. You have to accommodate not only the lighting (if any) but also the mounting studs for the letters.

On the designs with the tag in a brush stroke, do you plan to make the top of the brush stroke solid and apply the smaller letters as vinyl?

Thanks PrintDriver.
          Yes, that is the same channel letter I am aware of.
          Our signage company has not mentioned any complaints regarding the leaf-w yet, however I would like to simplify it if possible. I am trying to go for a clean/minimal look. Do you perhaps have any suggestions?

The tagline would currently be backlit vinyl letters; however, I am contemplating on removing the brush stroke and adding more weight to the fonts.

Or would it be wise to remove the tagline altogether from the logo?
          (You dont see BestBuy Computers, Nike Shoes, etc..). My only objective with adding the tagline is that customers would recognize what our store does, from the big channel letter signage. However, that may not be entirely necessary..

Perhaps a simplified ICON + "WESCAN" will do?
          We can replace the tagline with other media/signage to advertise the company's services.. Thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by KitchWitch View Post
            Are you designing this logo, or on the team that is? We don't allow crit of work that isn't created by the person posting it.
            Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

Originally posted by whuang4 View Post
              Thoughts?
              Whuang4, for this discussion to continue, please respond to KitchWitch's questions regarding you being or not being the designer of the logo.

Comment

Sorry - didnt even see KitchWitch's question as I thought it was a auto-bot post on any new user..
                Yes, I am leading the team designing this logo.

In my opinion, I think it is too busy. There are way too many ideas going on in one small design space. Especially the first one. Depending on where this logo will appear/be produced, I think it may be difficult to make out the smaller details (like the small detail on the end of the "N" - is that supposed to be a needle threading it?)
                • What can be improved? SIMPLIFY! Do you need all those tiny details? Is the Canadian leaf necessary?
                • Color wise - I don't mind the colors. For logos especially for something like a print shop, I would tend to veer more towards bright/eyecatching colors. I think the blue is nice, but perhaps a bit brighter? It seems a bit muted as it is now. Or if you still want to pay respect to your Canadian roots without having the obvious leaf, you could try it in a Canadian red?
                • Fonts - I don't mind the font, I am not particularly fond of the "W" font in the leaf. You could perhaps try some other font pairings, and give it a bit of variation instead of having the name and tagline in what appears to be the same font but different weights?
                • Simplify? - YES. That is my biggest critique of this logo. Perhaps you can introduce a vector image that alludes to the fact that you do printing and embroidery, but not make it so cluttered. Take advantage of negative space within letter...I don't mind the fact that you are doing something with the N, but from an outsider's perspective it took me a while to understand what it is.
                Got it. Will simplify it as much as possible. Removing the print stroke, and perhaps the needle? I may just need to come up with a new w-leaf icon altogether. Any good sources for inspiration?

Comment

Originally posted by whuang4 View Post
                  Sorry - didnt even see KitchWitch's question as I thought it was a auto-bot post on any new user..
                  Yes, I am leading the team designing this logo.
                  Thanks!

KitchWitch is a human who has been augmented with AI circuitry. She's very advanced.

I'm going to agree with what's been said so far about the complexity. There are just too many competing and visually unrelated ideas going on: a needle with thread, a Canadian maple leaf with a cursive W in the middle of it, a tagline, a jagged ribbon-like shape and a black box surrounding the whole thing.

You need to simplify, not only for the sake of clarity and focus but also due to the practical considerations of reproducibility in various mediums along the lines of what PrintDriver mentioned. For example, you do embroidery and screen printing; is this a logo that would lend itself all that well to either -- especially at small sizes.

Is being made in Canada an important marketing consideration? If so, is the, um, hackneyed approach of using a maple leaf to say that the right approach? The leaf sort of comes across as a logo within another logo, which isn't good. I kind of like the idea of the needle being part of a letter, but how about something as simple as using a W as your logo, with one of the strokes of the W being the needle? This might or might not work, but what I'm really suggesting is to simplify it down to something no more complicated than that.
                  Last edited by B; 10-06-2017, 10:59 AM. Reason: Typo fix

Comment

We've taken the suggestions into consideration and revised our concept.
                    Ive attached a few color options.

Please give me honest feedback and suggestions for improvement.

Comment

Now you've made the logo bug superfluous. It serves no real purpose other than to take up space on your sign.
                      It looks like an old-style app icon for something adobe-like

Comment

Originally posted by PrintDriver View Post
                        Now you've made the logo bug superfluous. It serves no real purpose other than to take up space on your sign.
                        It looks like an old-style app icon for something adobe-like
                        Any ideas for improvement?

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Glitchin
                          Reply to What kind and which book would it be wise to spend on?
                          Glitchin
                          Work for money design for love by David Airey and Know Your Onions: Graphic Design by Drew De Soto are good books for freelancers if your just starting out in the industry.

Also Pretty Much...
                          Today, 03:55 PM
                        • Glitchin
                          Comment on Logo Feedback
                          Glitchin
                          I'm confused. This is one of your designs from your original post right? I meant if you could post an image of the logo the client liked, it might help. "They provided me a Logo they want it...
                          Today, 03:24 PM
                        • Glitchin
                          Reply to Critique Please?
                          Glitchin
                          This is the latest version. I have thickened the CF and lowered the weight of the sound....
                          Today, 02:58 PM
                        • Glitchin
                          Comment on Critique Please?
                          Glitchin
                          Hey thanks for the feedback.

I have tried what you're suggesting with shapes rather than lines, but it didn't work for me.

That's the challenge, making it looking like CF whilst...
                          Today, 02:54 PM
                        • PrintDriver
                          Reply to Portfolio usage of work
                          PrintDriver
                          Nice article B, and illustrates my point about being an LLC or a sole proprietor. The LLC is a business entity separate from your personal life. With sole proprietorship, all of your belongings and assets...
                          Today, 12:42 PM
                        GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                        Working...
                        X