Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone minds critiquing this Behance Project of Mine??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone minds critiquing this Behance Project of Mine??

Here's a Behance Case Study I've made on my new logo: https://www.behance.net/gallery/5683...Sebestian-Logo
    Thanks in advance for all of your help.

Skipping all the blah-blah-blah words, and cutting to the chase of the logo at the bottom, I'm seeing a blue that appears to be an RGB bright blue. Since you don't give a Pantone standard for it, I can't tell if it it really isn't printable, but my work calibrated monitor is telling me it is trouble.

Second, where you define the parameters of how you built the logos is all in pixels. That means it is a static scale. Check out how most logos are defined in their brand standards and how they relate to a ''sign blank'' or define their ''clear space.'' How you came up with spacing of elements, while interesting in some ways, is nothing more than more words no one is going to read.

A case study that includes, ''what I like'' doesn't work.
    Since you are a Youtuber, I would more expect to see a demographic study of the people who frequent your channel, or better, a reflection on how your new logo might appeal to a broader audience, not how it appeals to YOU. YOU doesn't matter. Who you sell your product to matters more.

I'm not sure where you got that color like-dislike pie charts (again TLDR,) but that can be very regionally sensitive and not all that scientific. Generically men and women may like blue more, but maybe in a different set of circumstances they may like red or green better. For instance Christmas themed items may sell more as red and green rather than blue, and in the fall Brown and orange are very popular colors in the US...
    Color is very relative.

Comment

• Thug-D
      Thug-D commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks a lot. Should I use the golden ratio (or something similar) to set up the structure? Do you mean negative space when you say 'clear space"? Anyway, thanks again guess I gotta do some more research on Pantone colors.

Here's a page from a famous logo's brand book that uses the whole x height of the logo for clear space.
    https://issuu.com/logobr/docs/guideline_cc/46

The clear space is the amount of blank space that is required by the brand when using the logo in traffic. ie if there are a bunch of brands being used as sponsors on a banner, each will have a clear space parameter into which you may not insert another brand. The same clear space sometimes applies when using the logo on certain ''sign blanks'' like a banner that has a defined edge. You would use the same x distance away from the sides of the banner.

A lot of times a logo is designed with a specific sign blank defined giving clear space as letter dimensions.
    Here's one that uses a logo element as a clear space x standard as well as a design standard.
    https://brand.linkedin.com/visual-identity/logo
    (note this is a link to download the entire brand standard for this well known logo.)

As for the Golden ratio or any other sorta set in stone design theory, use them if they work, don't if they don't.
    I'm not suggesting you change your logo at all. What I'm suggesting is the presentation you have there is pretty much a lot of ''who cares'' and using pixel dimensions suggests to me this is more exclusively web based rather than a well rounded logo for any sort of company usage.

I haven't checked out your channel as mostly I dislike blogs/tutorials from newbs to the industry as I have to save gritting my teeth for work. Youngsters are always trying to re-invent the wheel out there and not always doing it in the proper way using solid production methods (ie researching Pantones and clear space.)

Not saying that describes you, but I've been down that road too many times to want to do it any more.

Comment

• Thug-D
      Thug-D commented
      Editing a comment
      I wish there were opportunities to get to an Art college, etc to master graphic design. Almost everyone here is self-taught and don't know anything about the other aspects of design. Yeah, many young designers like me focus on Pure Aesthetics rather than meaningful design. I used to be like that until my account on 99designs got banned a few months ago because of lacking the tactical knowledge. Just letting you know that now I'm trying to master all the basic principles and then dive into Constructivism. Nowadays marketing seems to be the key to selling designs rather than the actual quality. It's good that my account got banned otherwise if I earned a few bucks from I would've never known what design is actually about rather than just knowing how to use the software. Sadly, I haven't even made a single dollar yet, don't know how long will it take me to earn some money for the first time by doing what I love.

Anyway, sorry for beating about the bush. I was wondering how to get colors which are web safe and also safe for printing since after I recolored the artwork with pantone colors ( specifically the "Pantone Solid Uncoated" color swatch) illustrator warned me that these are not web safe. How to obtain the PMS number and how to actually use it?? FYI I do not have any kind of calibrator and I can't afford one.

• Thug-D
      Thug-D commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm not understanding what is the logo design package about? I'm not being able to comprehend the assets.

Ah, sorry. I forget you aren't from around here.

The LinkedIn thing, if you scroll down has the usage rules showing clear space and whatnot.
    The download is how they package their logo standard for every conceivable use out there.

With Pantone, you really need the swatch guide. Computer screen simulations often do not come close.
    Where you live, Pantone may not be the color standard. It might be one of the other European standards like HKS.

Here's a hint on websafe colors. Do you have Photoshop? The color picker in Photoshop uses Hex colors. It also uses Pantone Book values (and some other color standards as well including HKS.) I forget you aren't from here, so you might want to set Photoshop's color space to your local version of CMYK printing. We use US Web Coated Swop v2 here, but that might not be right for you. Then dial in your pantone color, then switch over to the picker and it should give you the nearest Hex number. You can see in the comparison box just how close they are (or aren't). The thing about Hex? what looks good on your monitor, may look very weird on mine. Or the guy's down the street. And some Pantones just don't convert to CMYK very well either. Color theory as it applies to web and print is an odd mix of trial and error, standards swatches that might change over the years, and the vagaries of the print output devices and their inks. You could study it for years.

Comment

"Web safe" colors are obsolete. "Web safe" is a limited palette of 216 colors chosen to accommodate hardware that can only show 256 colors. Illustrator still lets you check with this old standard even though everyone can display millions of colors now. You don't need to worry about the "web safe" warning in Illustrator. Check Google for more info.

PrintDriver was talking about color discrepancies between different people's monitors and between monitors and print colors. He knows way more about that than I do, and it really sounds like a nightmare! (I've seen my coworker wrestle with it.) However, if you are not designing for print, my guess is you should make sure your screen is color accurate, and then make your design look good on your screen. However I don't know for sure and I don't know anything about color calibrating a screen. Hope that helps!

Comment

Hi Bandyssows and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
        Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
        Working...
        X