Magazine Article design feedback

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magazine Article design feedback

Hi, I am taking a print publishing class, and I would love it if you could could give me some feedback on my design. Thank you so much!

My audience is: sad middle-aged people who have a fear of death. I'm trying to show the contrasts between death and life, as well as that by coming to terms with death we increase our quality of life.

Originally posted by C. Joy View Post
    My audience is: sad middle-aged people who have a fear of death.
    I suppose someone (or their families) facing death due to terminal illness might read an article about coping with it.

However, I don't think depressed, middle-aged people who are neurotically preoccupied with their deaths would be drawn to a story about what frightens and depresses them. A sad, middle-aged person still has decades of life left, so even though the article itself might be about coping with one's mortality, the headline should be about life, hope, reflection and the future. Big photos of dead barren trees and a headline of DEATH is just about the surest way I can think of to reduce readership rather than increase it.

Comment

B's right. Don't focus on DEATH.
      Focus on Living!

At first I thought this was going to be an article about having that talk with your loved ones about your last wishes.
      This apparently is supposed to be an inspirational article.
      Depict the inspirational, not the end outcome.

Comment

Hi Joy and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
        Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

Yup, that is a foreboding and "scary" design. If you want people to cope with their fear, you don't necessarily show it. That's like saying, are you afraid of spiders, here's a couple hundred spiders crawling all over the page and some giant tarantula close-ups.

N.A.N.K.A. "We Kick Because We Care."

Comment

Thanks for all the feedback! I will be definitely be making some changes based on what you guys have said.

Also I realized that I forgot to mention in my original post that the text is not mine. The design is mine, but the text is from http://www.yesmagazine.org.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
            Working...
            X