Poster critique please

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poster critique please

This was my contest submission. The festival is held in San Francisco.

The logo at the bottom-right was provided and had to be put on there somewhere.

I know it's far from great but I'd find it useful if someone could articulate why this is so.

Thanks

Click image for larger version

Name:	poster.png
Views:	2
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	21500

Attached Files

Hi blackmath, welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
    Design is not decoration.

Comment

What were the parameters of the contest brief other than the logo has to appear on there?
      What are your gray values? Gray is a PITA to print. Varying shades of gray make it that much more of a PITA.
      It looks like the gray box behind the logo is a different gray from the border. Could be optical, but my prepress tools are telling me it is cooler/different. It may just be the RGB interpretation I have to use on this but I'm also getting a 3-color gray with no K..... that's just asking for it.

Print this out, put it on the wall and stand on the other side of the room. Does it grab your attention? Does it convey the information you need it to convey?

Comment

Originally posted by PrintDriver View Post
        What were the parameters of the contest brief other than the logo has to appear on there?
        What are your gray values? Gray is a PITA to print. Varying shades of gray make it that much more of a PITA.
        It looks like the gray box behind the logo is a different gray from the border. Could be optical, but my prepress tools are telling me it is cooler/different. It may just be the RGB interpretation I have to use on this but I'm also getting a 3-color gray with no K..... that's just asking for it.

Print this out, put it on the wall and stand on the other side of the room. Does it grab your attention? Does it convey the information you need it to convey?

Sorry, should have made it clearer that the grey border isn't part of the poster but a background I included for the sake of the white border on the right and bottom of the poster.

Here's quotes from the brief:

"Think modern, chic, cool, film, movies - driving people to the film festival - the film festivla is in San Francisco and the SF East Bay."

"...Keep in mind abstract, chic, modern - eye catching."

Thanks for the tip about printing it out to see how attention-grabbing it is.

Comment

If this was something I was going to design, I would have researched film festival posters, looked at books/web sites that showcase great poster designs. Then, since they mention modern, chic, abstract, etc. you might want to research those as well start to keep a "mood board" of colors, fonts, styles, elements, etc. I'd also research the actual California Film Festival. Look at their past materials, look as their demographic, their culture, etc.

Then, while taking in the mood board, the direction, etc. start sketching ideas out on paper, even loose ideas not just one or two, but hundreds.

Then, after all that, pick the few you like and take those to the computer. Your design doesn't look like any of that happened. The hierarchy is off, the font looks random, the 21 in the background has no purpose to the angle. The 2018 seems large. Even the old school film cutouts off the bridge seem lost. That's my 2 cents.

N.A.N.K.A. "We Kick Because We Care."

Comment

Shouldn't the poster tell me the venue(s) for this film festival? No films featured, no times specified, no idea if the event is free, for $$, where to get tickets, url for more info,etc.
            Sketching not only helps you work out good ideas, it helps you get past the bad ones.

Comment

Originally posted by blackmath View Post
              Sorry, should have made it clearer that the grey border isn't part of the poster but a background I included for the sake of the white border on the right and bottom of the poster.
              So the red and white areas are the edges. A printer could have difficulty trimming this poster since those borders fall within the print safety zone that's needed for trimming. In other words, if the printer's trim is even the slightest bit off, it'll be very obvious.

Beyond that, I agree with what PanToshi said. There's just not enough information on this poster. Even if the poster caught my eye, there's nothing that tells me anything about it or where I can go to find out more.

Comment

Your grays are still different. If the background image of the bridge matches the border, it doesn't match the text box.
                Do you know the terms ''bleed'' and ''safety''?
                If you submit this file, depending on how large this is printed, you need that red and white to extend 1/8 to 1/4'' outside the finished dimensions, with your trim indicated with crop marks placed OUTSIDE the bleed.

I can't tell you how many times I get PDFs with the bleed present but the crop marks placed exactly at the corners of the trim. The crop marks need to be well away from the trim in order to not show black tail clips on trimming. Not to mention, in my weird corner of the industry, PDFs are bad anyway....

/rant.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                Working...
                X