First Project creating 10 flat head design CRITIQUE PLEASE

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Project creating 10 flat head design CRITIQUE PLEASE

So I just create a personal project to create 10 flat design per day. On the first week, I create the head, the second-week body, the third-week background/landscape and the last week I combine everything. I just recently active creating/drawing stuff for about 2 months. I love drawing character design and for the start, I want to practice flat design first. So here they are I complete my first week. I also have a blog where I post graphic design daily.
    Please give your critique and opinion about my works!
    thanks

Click image for larger version

Name:	flat face 2.png
Views:	1
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	21512

Name:	flat face 5.png
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	21515

Name:	flat face 4.png
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	21513

Name:	flat face 6.png
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	21516

Name:	flat face 7.png
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	21517

Hi Kjoyez and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
    Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

This is not graphic design, so there is really nothing to critique here. It is an artistic exercise, the result of which can only really matter to you,. so if you're satisfied with the output, it's good; if you're not, it isn't.

That said, some of them are pretty interesting. Like the results of any exercise which requires a certain quantity of output, some of it reaches too far, some of it's lazy, and the stuff in between is probably the most "correct," or at least balanced. One thing I see clearly here is you could use some work on your approach to noses. Obviously, with this many variants, you strive to avoid repeating a technique too often, but a repeat would be better than copping out with a simple rectangle. A constructive comment I'd make is that real noses are most often sources of both highlight and shadow, so while I understand the objective here is "flat," the all-darker-than-face-tone shapes don't work well. You could use multiple shapes for noses; some darker, some lighter (than face tone) for better believe-ability, without breaking whatever rules govern "flat." (You did it with some of the hair features, reflections on sunglasses, etc.)
      I'd rather be killed than come to your party, but if you don't invite me, I'll kill myself.

Comment

• kjoyez
        kjoyez commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you for your opinion. I agree with everything that you said. I think the term "exercise" is more suitable in here. My head has a lot of variants because I try to copy from many people. I know that some combination work some don't. Yet, I decided to include the bad one to know what I can create in one day (is it make sense?). For the highlight and shadow, I honestly still figure out how to do that. I also use this exercise to make myself more familiar with the tool.

Nice work! I admire the discipline needed to do ten per day. Have you considered selling sets of them on iStock or Shutterstock?

Comment

• kjoyez
        kjoyez commented
        Editing a comment
        I think my picture/set still looks horrible. I don't know if anyone wants to buy it.

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

• HotButton
      Comment on Flyer Crtitique
      HotButton
      It's just what I call it when people use an expression that actually says or means the opposite of what is intended; ''could care less'' would be another prime example.
      Yesterday, 11:44 PM
    • B
      Reply to Flyer Crtitique
      B
      That makes sense, I guess. Off is the inverse of on, which makes based off the inverse of based on. Got it. ...
      Yesterday, 08:50 PM
    • B
      Reply to Flyer Crtitique
      B
      Okay, I know what a colloquialism is, but what is an inverse colloquialism?

Probrien, in addition to HotButton's comments, which I agree with, the ad is a bit confusing. Maybe it's lacking...
      Yesterday, 08:48 PM
    • PrintDriver
      Reply to Flyer Crtitique
      PrintDriver
      ''Based off'' is inverse of ''based on.'' ''Based on'' is a colloquialism.
      I think.
      I have not had enough to drink to play this game.

o O
      Yesterday, 08:27 PM
    • pobrien
      Reply to Flyer Crtitique
      pobrien
      Thanks for the feedback. That all makes a lot of sense. I'll take these points and re-work things....
      Yesterday, 04:06 PM
    GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
    Working...
    X