X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Layout of ad article - Exercise

Hello!
    I'm deepening my study about layout.
    In the last weeks I read a book called "The layout book" by Gavin Ambrose Paul Harris.
    In the last chapter of the book there are exercises to put into practice the topic of study. One of this exercise is using the lettering to create a dynamic and attractive layout considering the use of typographical black, different text sizes and fonts, and using Van De Graaf's cage.

This is my exercise, i would like have comments and reviews to improve.

Thank you for the attention!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by -Milky Way-; 11-27-2017, 02:36 PM.

Van de Graaf Canon, not cage. A Van de Graaf cage is a shocking Physics experiment.

Some of us won't download PDFs at work.

Comment

Sorry for my bad English, i don't know that it's Called Van de Graaf Canon in English, I'm Italian.
      I hope that people will download PDF anyway XD

Comment

Your English is far better than my Italian.

That correction was for some of the students who hang out here and might want to check it out.

Comment

Thank you!
          Anyway, can you give some comment about it?
          Last edited by -Milky Way-; 11-27-2017, 05:15 PM.

Comment

It's an interesting 3-page layout, but it's a little scattered with chunks of text here and there. It could work, though, but the visual hierarchy is just a little ambiguous.

I'm mostly skeptical of basing layouts on things like the Van De Graaf Canon or the Golden Ratio. Yes, there are mathematical underpinnings that provide a degree of cohesiveness and balance to layouts using these formulas. Even so, at least to me, that sense of cohesiveness and balance is better achieved in a more natural way through the intuition that comes from much practice and observation.

Comment

I understand, Thank you for your reply!
              I'll try to make a layout less scattered.

Why do you think that the visual hierarchy is just a little ambiguous? For the pink page?

I agree with your thoughts about practice and observation, I was trying to make the book's exercise to learn a new thing and to practice.

Comment

• B
                B commented
                Editing a comment
                There are lots of different pull-out quotes and emphasized text in different typefaces, weights, sizes and styles. When I look at it, it's not immediately obvious what I should see and read first.

It's clear! Thank you for the advice!
              I'll modify the file following all feedback received and I'll post here again.

Thank you!

Comment

I modified the file and I have inserted pictures.
                The first picture is shelled because it is in low quality, but is only an example, It's important the layout and the organization of elements and the hierarchy. I followed the advices, i hope that my work is improved.

If there are other advices, they will be accepted.
                Thank you!

Esercizio-Gabbia di Van De Graaf - 2.pdf

Comment

I think your latest example is an improvement that addresses the concerns that I stated earlier. You're a fast learner.

I'm puzzled by what you're doing with the main text, though. Your paragraph indents are quite large and sometimes you have space between the paragraphs and sometimes you don't. You also seem to have made some text and entire paragraphs in that text bold for no apparent reason.

I know you're mainly concentrating on the composition and the relationship between all the layout elements, but designers also need to make logical and consistent decisions within the individual parts, like being more consistent in how you treat the paragraphs. Text is there for people to read, and layout decisions should consider how best to improve the reading experience as well as making things look good.

Comment

You're right, I thought too much of the look and not the functionality! The text bold is for the questions... but if it's not clear, there's something wrong with the layout. I'll try again!

In the photo (take form the Book of Layout) there is the same exercise done by a student... I was trying to make something like this.
                    But i don't understand ho to reach this kind of result.

Thank you for your advice!

Last edited by -Milky Way-; 12-01-2017, 05:29 AM.

Comment

Sorry, I can't to put the photo or the link to show the photo.

I insert so: https://i.imgur.com/d1cF5Y7.jpg

Comment

What you've linked to and what it seems you're trying to accomplish reminds me of an influential design book published back in the 1960s by Emil Ruder. It was called Typographie. When I was in design school back in the 1980s, we were required to study it as one of many different ways to approach design problems.

Personally, the reservations I expressed about your layout are much the same reservations I have when I look at what you've linked to. In the example you posted, I see a great deal of attention being paid to weights, balances, tension and other compositional considerations. Despite it looking nice, I'm not so sure the end user of that information (the reader) was taken into consideration. In other words, as you mentioned, the designer was paying more attention to the look of the layout than to its functionality.

I think these are great things to study since they broaden one's perspectives and increase the options available to a designer, which seems to be why you're doing this exercise. There is rarely only one best approach to a design problem and one solution is often just as good as another. I think you've done a good job in trying to duplicate the processes you're studying, and your results aren't bad either. My main suggestion is that any approach to solving a design problem can be improved by placing oneself in the position of the end user and asking oneself if the solution being pursued best meets the needs of that end user.

Comment

Thank you for your advices you're right! It's important to remember that a product is for the end user.
                          I'll try again the execise without to follow the example, but putting me in the user's shoes and making easy and beautiful the reading.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

• StudioMonkey
                            Reply to Price of Foil vs. Varnish for business cards?
                            StudioMonkey
                            Neither Foil nor Varnish are done on a digital press - you would have to get your Business Cards printed Litho. For 100 cards this is always going to be expensive - you could probably get 2000 cards...
                            Today, 09:38 AM
                          • natalya.jpg
                            What do you think about my new web site?
                            natalya.jpg
                            What do you think about my new web site?

[COLOR=#6A6A6A !important]Hello everybody![/COLOR]

I've just made my new website for the great opera singer. What do you think?...
                            Today, 03:16 AM
                          • mishulikes
                            Reply to The right typography
                            mishulikes
                            With body text, one tends to want use a simple serif for easier reading. Like B and PrintDriver have said, who is reading the magazine and even the genre of the content will dictate the typeface. I used...
                            Today, 01:13 AM
                          • mishulikes
                            Reply to Please critique my jazz poster
                            mishulikes
                            Coloring can make or break a piece. Jazz tends to be a moody, soulful music. The lime green does not fit that moody feel and it might have been better if you pushed you color scheme a bit further to add...
                            Today, 12:59 AM
                          • mishulikes
                            Reply to Hello All!
                            mishulikes
                            Thank you, KitchWitch!
                            Today, 12:13 AM
                          GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                          Working...
                          X