X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• #30Logos Challenge #1 Space

I've taken a thirty logo challenge. Here's the brief for the first logo:

"Hey Designer!

I'm Mary, the project coordinator at Space. We're so happy to have you work on our logo design! Space is building coworking offices so that freelancers and small startup companies have a stunning office to work out of without paying the big bucks to buy or lease a large building.

We offer rentable offices for teams of 1 to 12 in beautiful areas across the world including Austin, New York City, Raleigh, Chicago, San Francisco, and London. These offices are also great for people working remote for larger companies.

For the Space logo, we want to capture the idea of a personal, modern, and fun shared office space. We would be open to some kind of icon or using the text "Space" to represent the company. We don't have any requirements in terms of colors, text, icon, or otherwise. Have fun with some ideas!

And if this helps, some of our competitors are Industrious: https://www.industriousoffice.com/ and WeWork: .https://www.wework.com/ .

Regards,

Mary Anderson
    Space - Project Coordinator"

Anyway, would anyone mind critiquing it? Thanks to all of you in advance.

It's the final draft by the way.

Comment

I realize this is a simulation.
      But
      A company with offices all over the world, with spaces available for design teams, should know better than to crowdsource a logo.

''This is as real as it gets.''
      Not hardly.
      You would sit down with the client and discuss this project far more deeply than just this simple brief. You would look at their buildout concept of the space to see if the logo fits with their projected ''look.'' You would look at the clientele for the market strata they are shooting for. Looks like they are targeting large cities. You would look at the competition for the same type of service in those cities.You would strategize long term market planning. Logos are not the only element of a branding exercise. Logos simply do not exist in a vacuum.

As for this logo, the line work and lettering are far to skinny to ever make an impact in the ''downtown'' or ''art district'' areas of the cities mentioned in the brief.

Not to mention, this fine line trend is one that needs to end. Soon. Take it from the sign guy who often wonders how anyone thinks this stuff is going on the outside of a building. Based on the brief, this IS going on the outside of a building.

Comment

What is the goal of these 30 day logo challenges?

I see them all the time on Linkedin and Behance, and the only people gushing over these pieces are other designers. Are you trying to get some positive reinforcement from other freelance designers? Or are you trying to build a portfolio that will land you a solid job?

I honestly would like to know because in my eyes it seems like a waste of time. This practice doesn't simulate the logo design experience. Take it from one of the lines in the brief:

"We don't have any requirements in terms of colors, text, icon, or otherwise. Have fun with some ideas!"

Yeah, there's a good chance you'll never hear that from an actual client. Also, are you getting feedback along the way as you design? Is this fictional client challenging your ideas and making you think how to truly cater to their audience?

Based on the logo you've developed it appears that you are an inexperienced designer. I understand you need to grow your skills and you may not be in a position to find work in order to do that. However, I would not waste your time on this logo challenge. Making 30 quality logos is a lot of hard work and this challenge will benefit you minimally. Not many aspiring designers get hired off of a logofolio, unless you are amazing at it and you find some contract work from a company who only needs a logo, again highly unlikely in your case.

If I sound like I am being negative, I am not. I am just giving my two cents and I hate to see another designer wasting their time. There are more resources out there you could be using to grow your skills and build your portfolio, you just need to search for them.

Comment

• Thug-D
          Thug-D commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for opening my eyes. What do u think abt the challenges posted in the forum?

Originally posted by Thug-D View Post
        Space is building coworking offices so that freelancers and small startup companies have a stunning office to work out of without paying the big bucks to buy or lease a large building.
        They ironically rent studio space to freelancers, yet they're asking freelancers to enter a crowdsourcing a contest where only the winner gets paid for the work that is done for them. Freelancers who make a habit of getting sucked into crowdsourcing shams like this one won't be able to pay the rent on those studios.

As for your logo, it's a nice idea, but it's also a bit blocky. Of course, this is how many office spaces are. But if there's any way you could make it just a bit more dynamic, fluid, shapely or dimensional, it might help pull it past the static, blocky look it now has.
        Last edited by B; 12-08-2017, 12:28 PM.

Comment

It isn't a crowdsource exercise. It's a site that promises to make you a better logo designer by providing fake briefs.
          While possibly fun for practice and all, it isn't practical for a real world environment. Maybe a crowdsource environment, which is sorta sad.

Comment

Okay. The original poster apparently assumed everyone knew about this Thirty Logos Challenge thing and didn't bother to explain it. I had never heard of it.

Comment

• Thug-D
              Thug-D commented
              Editing a comment
              I'm sorry abt that.

Its new one on me but often fake briefs to help build a varied portfolio away from the stuff you usually get involved in is good, isn't it?

Comment

I hadn't heard of them either, so I looked them up to see if it was yet another contest site.

Comment

Originally posted by Appmacguy View Post
                Its new one on me but often fake briefs to help build a varied portfolio away from the stuff you usually get involved in is good, isn't it?
                Well, that's a good point. Trying something different is usually a good way to break out of a rut. Come to think of it, most design school projects that supposedly prepare one for entry into the business world of graphic design aren't particularly realistic either.

What we really need, instead of a Thirty Logos Challenge website, is a Thirty Difficult Clients Challenge website. Instead of practicing making beautiful logos, the focus would be practicing diplomacy, communication and effectiveness in dealing with less-than-ideal clients and business dilemmas.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                Working...
                X