Announcement

Collapse

Critical Announcement

With great regret, we would like to inform you that the decision has been made to close down www.GraphicDesignForum.com as of January 31, 2018.

The community has started www.GraphicDesignForum.org to continue the discussion.
See more
See less

Need some quick website design feedback (please only experienced website designers)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some quick website design feedback (please only experienced website designers)

See it in fullscreen and HD here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GoT...RiFDmlKst/view

Thank you in advance.

I don't know squat about coding a website.
    Design-wise? You have some gaffes in this.
    Starting with the light gray tiny text and the run-on, in some cases ungrammatical sentences, plus the seemingly divorced drop caps.
    You have a text spacing error jamming South Bali to the edge of its photo, unlike the others.
    Book-length testimonials won't get read. Or believed to be authentic.

Target demographic = 20-somethings?
    Very strong on the ''partying'' theme.

Comment

How do you plan on handling all the overlayed items that deal with the different areas on Bali? Will you be positioning things with CSS z-index layers or making a big Photoshop image. CSS could present a challenge in getting those layers to align properly -- especially if you're making a layout that is responsive to screen sizes.

And speaking of screen/display sizes, most website traffic for most websites is from mobile devices (primarily smart phones). Unless you plan on realigning most everything for those small displays, readability is going to be an issue. If you plan on relying on images that contain text, you'll run into the problem of, both, bandwidth issues (again, think mobile phone connectivity and data plan usage) and search engines being unable to index your text (think search engine optimization).

Just an opinion (widely shared), but in today's world, most websites should be designed for both smartphone and desktop/laptop use. It's not that web designers should stop designing for larger monitors, but failing to consider smartphones as being the main way people view many websites will relegate at least half the visitors to those sites to a less-than-optimum experience.
      Last edited by B; 12-26-2017, 10:05 AM. Reason: Awkward wording

Comment

Smart phone compatibility would be very important for the apparent demographic you are targeting...

Comment

Err.. I have more than 10 years in coding website, just not much in designing websites. It's a piece of cake to code this template by using absolute positioning, flexbox, etc.

You don't need to tell other web designers to design for mobile first, unless they are a complete newbie. It's basic knowledge really, but thank you for reminding me. I did design mobile first, and I plan to code for mobile first. The reason I only posted the desktop design is the mobile one have the same exact design.. so I don't see why I should post that.. Anyway most people who will use the website will most likely use a desktop, a laptop or a tablet, they rarely use smartphones. This is the stats from the old website.

Mobile designs for portrait and landscape

The design above is for old smartphones with small screen resolution like 320 x 480, so there should be much more whitespace with most smartphones these days, much bigger resolutions
          Last edited by Dan Tyler; 12-27-2017, 05:43 AM.

Comment

And please ignore the grammatical errors. I wrote those myself! And I'm not a native English speaker. It's just better than using lorem ipsum just so I know what it would look like.

Comment

Dan, your posts so far here give no indication of experience level. We get a lot more beginners here than experienced designers. Don't take offense at advice offered with that in mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Tyler View Post
                Err.. I have more than 10 years in coding website, just not much in designing websites. It's a piece of cake to code this template by using absolute positioning, flexbox, etc.

You don't need to tell other web designers to design for mobile first, unless they are a complete newbie. It's basic knowledge really, but thank you for reminding me. I did design mobile first, and I plan to code for mobile first.
                Most people posting website mockups here are newbies or, at least, designers who don't fully understand the basics of web design and tend to underestimate the practical considerations of building websites. Your design looks like the work of someone who's more familiar with print than the web, so I mistakenly assumed your website coding experience was similar to your UI experience.

If you want comments just on the UI, well, it seems a bit chaotic. Overlapping shapes can be interesting, but in the case of your layout, they obfuscate the organizational hierarchy and hide the imagery of the island. Of course, if each of those boxes/sections link to pages with compelling photos and information to help visitors make destination decisions, some of that problem is mitigated. But then you haven't shown us those pages.

Your typography is too conservative and lifeless. I'm not suggesting anything wild and crazy. I'm just pointing out opportunities for integrating more thoughtful typography into the layout in ways that help evoke the kind of emotional responses from viewers that would be appropriate for a tropical island vacation.

The overall flavor of the design doesn't suggest or support the personality of the destination. Swap out the imagery and text and you'll have a layout just as suitable for a trip to anywhere from Alaska to South Africa.

Finally, who is your target audience? Average tourists? High rollers? People on a budget? People looking for adventure or relaxation? Young people? Retirees? Middle incomers? I can't tell from your layout design. It's generic in the sense that it doesn't evoke the emotional qualities of a tropical island (or anywhere else) and, consequently, is less likely to resonate with whatever target audience you have in mind.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• sumon_77
                  What do you guys think about this designe ?
                  sumon_77

What do you guys think about this gig design ?...
                  Today, 06:36 AM
                • sumon_77
                  Reply to T-shirt designe
                  sumon_77
                  i like it so much....
                  Today, 06:22 AM
                • MattCarson
                  Reply to Any similar font?
                  MattCarson
                  hello Troep, do you search it in google font? If you are not searched search still now, then do it. I don't tell you that you find that font but I hope you should find a similar one.
                  Today, 04:09 AM
                • B
                  Reply to Freelancing - Going out on your own
                  B
                  I've always had a side business doing work for various clients, but I've never bitten the bullet and taken the chance of doing it full-time. Honestly, I'm a little envious of you. Good luck!
                  Yesterday, 11:52 PM
                • Jess_
                  Freelancing - Going out on your own
                  Jess_
                  After 10 years of working for other people as a graphic designer I've decided to go out on my own! I'm not going to to quit my full-time design job until I have everything lined-up but I've made up my...
                  Yesterday, 10:21 PM
                GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                Working...
                X