Announcement

Collapse

Critical Announcement

With great regret, we would like to inform you that the decision has been made to close down www.GraphicDesignForum.com as of January 31, 2018.

The community has started www.GraphicDesignForum.org to continue the discussion.
See more
See less

Need my first poster critiсized

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need my first poster critiсized

Click image for larger version

Name:	violence_poster_mid-01.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	21750 Hi everyone! I am new to this forum but hope to stay long. Looking for some opinions about the picture attached. It meant to be a poster targeting the problem of violence against kids. I am quite new to the graphic design industry and feel that I need some professional critique. I feel that something is missing here, does it make any sense?

Hi Zaza and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
    Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

I like the message you're trying to deliver. But i'm just not a fan of this layout.

The illustrations seem a bit crude. The type is painfully close to the illustration, not to mention running of the page. You need a healthy margin between the graphics and the type. I understand you haven't the room, which means the layout needs to change in some way. Maybe the two hands can meet in the center, the arms coming out from the left and right sides of the poster? This would leave plenty of room for typography. You can keep the art bottom justified, I do enjoy the A-symmetrical design and the negative space has an artist feel that works really well.

Also, do you think the black and white imagery might send the wrong message to some viewers?

Play around with it a bit. Make a few versions. I guarantee something will come to light that you like better.

Comment

I agree with Biggs on just about every point.

When you do start another version, think about the reading order, and the reader's inner voice. The way you've got the words STOP and ABUSE separated here doesn't work. The message is STOP ABUSE. That should be clear and instantly readable, in that form, from 20 feet away. Keep those words together.

What you've got here is memorable, but for the wrong reasons.
        Last edited by HotButton; 01-12-2018, 10:52 AM.
        I'd rather be killed than come to your party, but if you don't invite me, I'll kill myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Biggs097 View Post
          do you think the black and white imagery might send the wrong message to some viewers?
          ^ THIS.
          Sketching not only helps you work out good ideas, it helps you get past the bad ones.

Comment

Is that in agreement Pan? or are you devastated that I went down that road?
            I'd say out of 100 viewers at least 10 viewers will have that thought cross their mind.
            And it's a terrible message to project if you view it that way.

Perhaps the other hand could be red - it would match the typography and someone would have to really misconstrue that to get the wrong idea.

Comment

• PanToshi
              PanToshi commented
              Editing a comment
              In agreement. I would say that your estimation of 10% would be conservative, especially in the current climate.

I try to have some faith in humanity. Just a little bit. Nevertheless i'm sure you're right about that. I can see the multi-cultural brawl taking place as the poster hangs above it all.

Comment

I have read the comments above attentively and must admit it was like a fresh breeze. Thank you so much! thats exactly what I expected more experienced people to say. I agree with every point of the critics you made. Definately going to make other versions and hopefully it can appeal in a better way.
              I didnt mean any other context than evil and innocenсe when using black and white. Didnt meant to trigger any other statements but thank you for giving me a second thoughts about how to avoid these things. Thanks to everyone who took time to write your personal opinion, its much appreciated!

Comment

It would probably be very powerful without the larger hand in the illustration. A kid sending up a balloon for help is very strong.
                Plus all the other things mentioned.

Comment

• aid4design
                  aid4design commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I agree wholeheartedly with this... the lone white (child's) hand would be very powerful.

Originally posted by Zaza View Post
                I didnt mean any other context than evil and innocenсe when using black and white.

There are a considerable number of people who have problems with that association, and they aren't without merit.
                Keep Saturn in Saturnalia.

Comment

When I was a kid, it never registered. The good guys wore the white hats, the bad guys wore the black hats. Evil was always dark and brooding even when it came packaged as sweetness and light.
                  But a literal illustration such as shown here, while no malice was intended, will indeed cause controversy in 90% of viewers.
                  Don't lose the message through inadvertent association.
                  That too is part of a graphic designer's job.

Comment

Valuable comments thank you. I think my colour choice was also aspired by Luba Luckova's graphic works which convey strong visual communication only using few primary colours like black, red, white and yellow. Would you say that these posters by Luba could be read as controversial to you? Click image for larger version

Name:	Luba Lukova-Bulgaria (9).jpg
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	21759

Comment

There is a difference between what you are intending to portray and what Ms. Luckova is portraying.
                      Luckova intentionally is calling attention to social justice issues and doing so in a way that makes you think beyond the obvious.
                      Your message here is to stop violence against children, but you are also implying, by your imagery, a somewhat ingrained stereotype that is not any more true than if the colors had been reversed.
                      Speak to the truth of the issue. As I said before, don't muddy it with inadvertent associations. You say yourself you didn't mean to make the association, but you have to consider the bigger picture beyond your ''Art.'' You have to consider the audience. Graphic Design is about communication. Be sure you understand the language in which you are trying to speak.

Comment

Right. Design is about communication and I made wrong decisions here to speak the language that would be clear in only one meaning for every person who looks at it. I assume the controversy in my "art" particularly happened because black and white colours were applied to parts of human bodies which automatically drives some viewers to unwanted (by me) associations. I think my mistake was in relying too much on gestalt.
                        May be (as offered above) I will try to avoid black hand imagery and choose "simple way" I guess. Which is a bit sad because it makes me weak designer to solve the problem in the alternative way.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	violence_poster_2-01.jpg
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	21761 Any better this way? Execute me, guys )

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• B
                            Reply to What do you guys think about this designe ?
                            B
                            I'm guessing that renting a party girl means exactly what one might suspect.

As for the logo, it looks like a peel-off sticker of some kind. The type is mathematically centered, but visually...
                            Today, 09:07 PM
                          • PrintDriver
                            Reply to migrating or going away?
                            PrintDriver
                            Merit badges? Really?
                            We'll see what happens I guess.
                            Today, 08:19 PM
                          • B
                            Reply to migrating or going away?
                            B
                            The project manager, Iraszi, from the company that owns the forum, says the company decided to shut down the forum. He's taken the initiative to set up a new, independent forum that isn't owned by the...
                            Today, 07:55 PM
                          • PrintDriver
                            Reply to What do you guys think about this designe ?
                            PrintDriver
                            What do you mean by ''gig design''?

As for the thing itself, I might put Perth on its own line under Party Girls. The whole thing kind of gives a mixed message. Is it a modeling agency? Is...
                            Today, 07:34 PM
                          • PrintDriver
                            migrating or going away?
                            PrintDriver
                            Is this forum migrating to the new or going away and starting over?
                            Today, 07:30 PM
                          GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                          Working...
                          X