Collapse

Featured Images Featured Images Module
Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• PrintDriver
    Reply to where is a good place to get foil business cards done?
    PrintDriver
    Where in the world might you be located?

Also, if in the US, do you have a reseller's tax ID so you can get wholesale pricing (if sales tax on goods is required in your state)?
    Today, 04:48 PM
  • kemingMatters
    Comment on Catalog Design
    kemingMatters
    OOPS, I didn't even notice that it was in the web design forum... Stupid not allowed to have caffeine right now...
    Today, 04:33 PM
  • <b>
    Reply to Catalog Design
    <b>
    Since this is in the "Web Design" forum, are we talking about an online catalog or print?
    Today, 03:53 PM
  • berbes
    where is a good place to get foil business cards done?
    berbes
    i have a new client who wants foiled business cards (for their logo). they told me the price they got from their old GD was 13 cents per card @ 10k, but that is about the best price i can get before markup....
    Today, 02:23 PM
  • arielr190
    Reply to Opinions on My Logo?
    arielr190
    I see. I guess I was too worried that if I used a thicker type face, it will compete with the name too much. I could definitely try though....
    Today, 02:20 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resume

if you wouldn't mind, please share your thoughts on this resume.
    this is pretty much the first draft.
    wondering if i should leave it alone, or keep tweaking.
    thanks!
    Attached Files

responsible is spelled wrong (missing an 'n')

I get hundreds of resumes sent to me each year, Ive always wondered why in an industry that revolves around being different and standing out from the competition that I constantly receive resumes that look like they are made from a Word template.

Why do you think an employer will call you after receiving this resume? What is going to make them call you before the other 100's of applicants?
    Last edited by LAV; 06-20-2007, 02:11 AM. Reason: adding stuff

Comment

Personal preference: I ABSOLUTELY HATE people that center everything on their resume. I always look right over them when flipping through resumes...

Also instead of typing "Adobe Indesign®," type it as "Adobe Indesign,®" and kern the ® in to the left over the comma. It looks alot nicer.

Keep all your Microsoft programs together. You have Word, PowerPoint and Publisher up top, and then Excel WAYYyyy at the end by itself. Same with your Adobe Programs, and then you have "Adobe GoLive" at the end...

Don't use a comma (,) before your ands (&). It is gramatically incorrect and looks WAY odd when speed reading.

Make sure you label programs correctly. "Adobe Indesign" "Adobe Illustrator" "Adobe Photoshop"
      Professional Pixel Pusher — Designing the world around you. | Working daily to reach 10,000 hours of practice.

Comment

What does that part say that's not in english on the second line? And why isn't it in english like everything else? Or is that dummy text for your contact info? cuz i was wondering where that was..

I think a color other than red would be nice. That's probably personal perference also. And I'd put work experience before software. Maybe also give software another line so it isn't so wide. Aside from that, it looks clean and standard.
        http://gopencilgo.blogspot.com & http://viince.blogspot.com

Comment

Having your copy centered just makes it more difficult to read.

Formal invitations- maybe- resume- not recommended.

Comment

Originally posted by viince
            What does that part say that's not in english on the second line? And why isn't it in english like everything else? Or is that dummy text for your contact info? cuz i was wondering where that was..
            The original poster is probably keeping the contact info private in terms of this forum, thus the dummy text.
            "Lucy, you got some 'splainin' to do!" - Ricky Ricardo

Comment

thanks!

thanks a lot for your feedback thus far.

I was going to list some of my concerns, but thought i'd just wait and see what people had to say.

yeah, I'm worried about the centered text also. I thought MAYBE it could work, but ehhhh.

(placeholder text for my address)

i think i'm just going to trash the registered trademark symbols.

thanks for the spelling and gramma corrections.

I was torn when writing out the software. I'm REALLY proficient in the first half of the list and just 'knowledgable' of the second half. ?????

I'm afraid to go to 'over-board' design-wise for a couple reasons.
              don't want to look like i'm trying too hard, and who's to say it's not going to be some HR chick w/ no 'creative' appreciation anyway?

I just want to look clean (that's my style) and be functional.

Also want it to be versatile, email, mail, PDF, fax, blah, blah....

thanks again!

Comment

Originally posted by CkretAjint
                Personal preference: I ABSOLUTELY HATE people that center everything on their resume. I always look right over them when flipping through resumes...

Also instead of typing "Adobe Indesign®," type it as "Adobe Indesign,®" and kern the ® in to the left over the comma. It looks alot nicer.

Keep all your Microsoft programs together. You have Word, PowerPoint and Publisher up top, and then Excel WAYYyyy at the end by itself. Same with your Adobe Programs, and then you have "Adobe GoLive" at the end...

Don't use a comma (,) before your ands (&). It is gramatically incorrect and looks WAY odd when speed reading.

Make sure you label programs correctly. "Adobe Indesign" "Adobe Illustrator" "Adobe Photoshop"
                WOW! you 'HATE' people that center text! yipes!

Comment

Originally posted by rainbow2bryte
                  WOW! you 'HATE' people that center text! yipes!
                  Yes I do, cause EVERYONE does it and it is really hard on a persons eyes. Sure it jumps out at you but beyond that you can't read it without straining your eyes.

I would list the programs you are good at. Most employers assume that everyone knows Word, Powerpoint, Excel and Publisher. And if you don't there is sight a miniml learning curve with it that any person could learn it within an hour....
                  Professional Pixel Pusher — Designing the world around you. | Working daily to reach 10,000 hours of practice.

Comment

oh stop. Save your hate for something worthwhile.

R2B - look over the resume tips posted in our frequently discussed topics thread: http://www.graphicdesignforum.com/fo...ead.php?t=7892

There is some excellent information there.
                    "It's never too late to be who you might have been." - George Eliot

Comment

thanks morea.
                      think i've already read thru all those at least twice!

alright, i'll also scrap the Microsoft apps....

theres a lot of apps i've gotten my feet wet in, but i'm by no means proficient in. however, i'm a quick learner. should i scrap them?

Comment

Originally posted by rainbow2bryte
                        thanks for the spelling and gramma corrections.
                        **Grammer... lol

You're right, if you are applying to a larger company as an in-house designer or prepress or something, some random HR lady will be looking at them and then I think being too artsy can have a huge negetive effect. However, if you know you will be submitting to an art director, or you are applying to a small agency, I would have an artsy design you cans end in that case.

Originally posted by CkretAjint
                        Most employers assume that everyone knows Word, Powerpoint, Excel and Publisher.
                        I gotta disagree. People are pretty dumb. To be on the safe side I'd keep it on your resume. However, I just wrote out "Microsoft Office Programs" on my resume, and that sums it up.
                        www.jackiecreative.com

People who live in glass houses sink ships.

Comment

To utilize current skills and experiences in graphic design and prepress, as well as improve upon them, in a challenging fast-paced environment.
                          Think about this a minute. Of course everyone's objective is to use the skills they have. And why would I want to pay you to 'improve' your skills in MY fast-paced environment.

This is a standard resume objective and always makes me chuck the resume aside. Instead of using this come up with a phrase that will SELL your current skills. What you can do for me. Or don't use one at all. You obviously have skills. And everyone's print environment is different. I think you can do better.

Comment

Originally posted by PrintDriver
                            Think about this a minute. Of course everyone's objective is to use the skills they have. And why would I want to pay you to 'improve' your skills in MY fast-paced environment.

This is a standard resume objective and always makes me chuck the resume aside. Instead of using this come up with a phrase that will SELL your current skills. What you can do for me. Or don't use one at all. You obviously have skills. And everyone's print environment is different. I think you can do better.
                            yeah, the 'objective' was totally generic.
                            i guess i was going for, 'hey, i'm not a freakin' know-it-all and there;s ALWAYS room for improvement and learning new things.' wonder how i could better convey that i LOVE to learn to the point where it's just about OCD!
                            thanks PD!

Comment

Originally posted by Jackimalyn
                              **Grammer... lol

You're right, if you are applying to a larger company as an in-house designer or prepress or something, some random HR lady will be looking at them and then I think being too artsy can have a huge negetive effect. However, if you know you will be submitting to an art director, or you are applying to a small agency, I would have an artsy design you cans end in that case.

I gotta disagree. People are pretty dumb. To be on the safe side I'd keep it on your resume. However, I just wrote out "Microsoft Office Programs" on my resume, and that sums it up.
                              thanks jacki, mind if i use that? 'Micro. office programs'? that sounds good to me

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X