Tell me what I could have done better with this vector drawing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tell me what I could have done better with this vector drawing

I traced this in Illustrator, as I'm sure you can tell, and I colored it using the Live Paint Bucket. I think it came out OK, but I know I could have done some things differently for better results, aside from the detail omissions, my eyes got tired.
    Tell me what you see and what you think, please.
    Here is the original image:

And this is the vector, obviously:

TGB

• The Golden Boy
    replied
    Originally posted by Drazan View Post
    here ya go. Ignore the style if your not into it. But the basics of illustration is completely there.
    http://www.mangatutorials.com/

Jade
    Righteous, thank you. I like that style of artwork, it's the animation I don't get into.
    If I fail at becoming a print advertising designer, I can always get into the Hentai game, right?
    TGB

Leave a comment:

• Drazan
    replied
    here ya go. Ignore the style if your not into it. But the basics of illustration is completely there.
    http://www.mangatutorials.com/

Jade

Leave a comment:

• vtwin_gary
    replied
    i didn't mention live trace to have the work done. i even stated it would probably look like poo. it always does, but... what i was getting at was this shows some direction on where the OP should take his. i think if you cut the color by 1 or 2 you'll get an even "better" hair, you'll also get terrible results as far as face & fingers go.

Leave a comment:

• The Golden Boy
    replied
    Originally posted by Cool Gray 8 View Post
    Personally I can't stand Live Trace - the results are never clean enough for my liking (although I understand why it was suggested).

I do a whole heap of portrait illustraion in Illustrator, where I painstakingly trace all the vectors by hand, and the finished images are always a lot more stylised than what Live Trace offers.

With regards to your original image, I'm inclined to agree with most of the other posts - I'm not overly keen on the line strokes. I think they make the image look a little flat and dull. The illustration that klucid posted posted is a great example of illustrating without using strokes. Also, I think you should look at the shadows in klucid's picture too, as that style may be an viable alternative to giving your image depth (especially around the forehead wrinkles, nose and mouth). And I'd suggest that the hair could do with more detail.
    Totally. I am hammering away at some of these tutorials, trying to figure out how to accomplish the shading. I want to know how to use Illustrator without using the automatic functions; those things are such a compromise, and I'm a student, so I'm not in a hurry to get a project finished for a client or anything.
    I'm taking Photoshop I this semester, and Illustrator I in the fall, but since I have CS4 I might as well learn to use the programs.
    TGB

Leave a comment:

• Totem-Media
    replied
    As long as Geddy continues to look awesome, then life (and art) is good.

Leave a comment:

• Cool Gray 8
    replied
    Personally I can't stand Live Trace - the results are never clean enough for my liking (although I understand why it was suggested).

I do a whole heap of portrait illustraion in Illustrator, where I painstakingly trace all the vectors by hand, and the finished images are always a lot more stylised than what Live Trace offers.

With regards to your original image, I'm inclined to agree with most of the other posts - I'm not overly keen on the line strokes. I think they make the image look a little flat and dull. The illustration that klucid posted posted is a great example of illustrating without using strokes. Also, I think you should look at the shadows in klucid's picture too, as that style may be an viable alternative to giving your image depth (especially around the forehead wrinkles, nose and mouth). And I'd suggest that the hair could do with more detail.

Leave a comment:

• The Golden Boy
    replied
    Originally posted by vtwin_gary View Post
    just for shitz & giggles use live trace & limit the colors to 4 or 5 & see what illy does with it. it will probably look like poo but it will give you a good idea where to go next.
    Thanks for mentioning Live Trace. Didn't know it existed.

This is with 5 colors:

It's cool, sort of the effect I was going for. I just didn't know Illustrator would do that for me. Takes some of the fun out of it.
    TGB

Leave a comment:

• vtwin_gary
    replied
    just for shitz & giggles use live trace & limit the colors to 4 or 5 & see what illy does with it. it will probably look like poo but it will give you a good idea where to go next.

Leave a comment:

• The Golden Boy
    replied
    Originally posted by vtwin_gary View Post
    i agree with what everyone has said so far.
    i think that in some areas you have too much detail, i don't think the lines in his face (at least some of them) or the ones in his shirt are needed but you need more in his hair.

just my $.02
    Yeah, that kind of goes along with what tz said, using value rather than lines. I just don't possess the skillz to get it done that way yet.

I tried to minimize the lines in the face, but that was the only way I could get any dimension into the drawing.

I'll play with the stroke width next, then move on to shading. So far the gradients are the only way I know to get that effect.
    TGB

Leave a comment:

• vtwin_gary
    replied
    i agree with what everyone has said so far.
    i think that in some areas you have too much detail, i don't think the lines in his face (at least some of them) or the ones in his shirt are needed but you need more in his hair.

just my $.02

Leave a comment:

• Danger_Mouse
    replied
    Some goodies in here.

http://www.graphicdesignforum.com/fo...ad.php?t=22762

I know some other ones that are great for beginners too, but the links are at my work. If I remember I'll post tomorrow, although I am sure someone will be by to share some good ones as well.

Leave a comment:

• The Golden Boy
    replied
    Originally posted by holycow77 View Post
    ...and try not to add details that aren't really there, like the wrinkles on his forehead. If they are there, they are not black lines.
    They are there, I just used too-heavy of a stroke weight for that.

I'm going to drink 3 or 4 more pots of coffee and dig into this again.
    TGB

Leave a comment:

• The Golden Boy
    replied
    If I were to do a Google search for video tutorials regarding using color in Illustrator, with regards to shading and color dynamics, and NOT using the Live Paint bucket, what would be a good set of keywords?

Do any of you guys know of any decent tutorials? I'm using CS4.

I can see the colors in my mind that I want to use, the shading and where it needs to go, and stuff like that, I just can't figure out how to get it onto the screen. I've tried messing with the fills and stroke colors and things like that, it just doesn't satisfy me...

Thanks again, you guys rule.
    TGB

Leave a comment:

• holycow77
    replied
    ...and try not to add details that aren't really there, like the wrinkles on his forehead. If they are there, they are not black lines.

Leave a comment:

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
Working...
X