Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• MalcolmTheCat
    Reply to Cafe Logo
    MalcolmTheCat
    I updated the design to hopefully remove the...unwanted imagery people see, (Istill don't,) and to make the 3 cups aspect of it clearer. I dropped the directional arrow and removed the name (that still...
    Today, 06:08 PM
  • MalcolmTheCat
    Comment on Cafe Logo
    MalcolmTheCat
    Seamas, I didn't get to see the Tesco thing, but, since I live in the US, that's not really a surprise. It does make you wonder how things like that get through. I used to work at a competitor, Sainsbury's....
    Today, 05:51 PM
  • MalcolmTheCat
    Comment on Cafe Logo
    MalcolmTheCat
    I know the owners.
    Today, 05:47 PM
  • seamas
    Reply to Logo critique
    seamas
    Though I am not personally offended by mocking religion or religious figures, your client is a dumbass if they want to use such mockery as a business name.

But as a person...
    Today, 05:43 PM
  • kemingMatters
    Comment on Final Art Disclaimer
    kemingMatters
    Pay a lawyer to either review yours or write one up for you.
    Today, 05:40 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• design assignment

hi,

this is a poster assignment i did for the design school.
    assignment was- "movie poster for an upcoming squeal"

...i felt really cool abt it... !!

but ma teacher..he blasted at me ..nd asked me to submit another one...
    did'nt even care to explain why!...

plz let me know what i was doing wrong with this one..!

[IMG][/IMG]

You basically took this logo

http://www.thelastminuteblog.com/wp-...ansformers.gif

used this font
    http://www.dafont.com/transformers.font (which is free on some sites)

Applied some effects in photoshop.

minimal effort on your part - a 30 minute job. The lecturer was right to make you do it again.

What is the brief for your assignment?

"May your hats fly as high as your dreams"Michael Scott

Comment

yea.. it ws a quick job..i took jus abt that..

..but nyways it ws an overnight assignment.. i hardly got 6hrs of system....tried some samples and fixed this one...

abt the logo... i took another one..one wallpaper i had..
      nd the font...??? i mean.. that's the way it should be right...

he didn't expect me to redesign the logo and the create a new font for the transformers.....at least i thought like that....one night..??

could yo plz tell me ..what you'd have been done??

Comment

I would have done something original, not a copycat of an existing theme.

Make it your own. Be creative. You could have got loads of pictures of cars and trucks and bikes and arranged them into the shape of the transformers logo. Or spelled out the transformer text.

You could have done something a bit more original than what you did.

The topic of your poster isn't the problem, it's just boring and lazy. Seen it a million times for the transformer movie. Do something different. Not repeated.

Comment

What was the brief for the assignment? We need to know what youve been told to do before we can offer an informed opinion of how well you did.

As eug said, youve just slapped some filters onto an image and added some text.
          What is the movie about? What happens in the movie? This looks more like a teaser poster. Maybe show a burning city, cybernetic meteorites falling from the sky, explosions... whatever.

A classic movie poster template often shows a montage of scenes from the film. Check out http://www.drewstruzan.com/ - amazing illustrator who did the posters for star wars, indy, back to the future.

Comment

hmmmm..something like that..

.. nywayz..that i wouldn't have manged in one night...

i ws thinking like..in the third movie ... when the smoke settles decepticons will be coming back....ns blah blah!!.. ... something like that...

nyone else..?

Comment

You'd do well to type in English, not "txt spk" makes it very hard to read what you're typing. And other members of the forum might be turned off from helping you out if you continue to type in this "code".

Could have done a bird with metalic parts, or a dog, or human or something, with metallic parts, like it was transforming into something.

All Spark comes to mind, easy to do, a cube that is glowing, put a scene from the movie on each face or something with transformers and decepticons running at each other from each side?

You're lucky to get one night to do this, some of us don't get an hour to pull designs out of our asses.

Your lecturer is preparing you for the real world. Welcome, you need to work fast and work well.

Comment

Originally posted by Paj View Post
                What was the brief for the assignment? We need to know what youve been told to do before we can offer an informed opinion of how well you did.

As eug said, youve just slapped some filters onto an image and added some text.
                What is the movie about? What happens in the movie? This looks more like a teaser poster. Maybe show a burning city, cybernetic meteorites falling from the sky, explosions... whatever.

A classic movie poster template often shows a montage of scenes from the film. Check out http://www.drewstruzan.com/ - amazing illustrator who did the posters for star wars, indy, back to the future.
                he got this practice of giving ..surprise assignments..
                brief..!!. like.. actually nothing ws der..... said a "poster for an upcoming sequel" ..he did showed a sample... nd that ws a teaser.. (now i notice it .! ) ...actaully i dnt know what he ws expecting.. a teaser or a release poster..
                ..i took teaser only in ma mind...put the date also like that...

so i guess.. that is it.. i ws supposed to try something original...hmm..

thanks eugenetyson!
                thanks Paj!
                thanks for the link.!

.. would appreciate more comments !

Comment

"There's something about turning the pages of a book or magazine and the felling of rubbing your hands across the words."

This is my pen tool. There are many like it, but this one is MINE. My pen tool is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My pen tool without me is useless. Without my pen tool, I am useless.

there is no grey area when it comes to 1 color logos.

Comment

sorry about the text stuff..!!

anyways.. i am going to redesign it..!!

.i will ll be posting it here only..plz take a look..thank you!

Comment

Go for it. Remember to be original, not copy cat.

Remember to buy your lecturer a thank you card.

Comment

This poster isn't much of a design really, just a couple simple elements tossed together, centered (*yawn*), with some filters. Filters ≠ design. Tell a story with your design. A burning metallic mask tells me nothing. Except "Why are they making another one of these things?"

Don't be sorry about the textspeak. Just stop using it. Please.

blog/portfolio

Comment

boy, this took me a while to read through, translating txt nd stff.

as for the work...ehh, nothing stands out as wow! like stated above, this is basically dropped items on a poster. a sequel to Up could have been Down, with a similar style logotype name.

what did other students' work look like? how did theirs compare to yours?
                          Dribbble Page
                          Behance Portfolio
                          Linkedin Profile

Comment

Originally posted by Virgo Nightingale View Post
                            This poster isn't much of a design really, just a couple simple elements tossed together, centered (*yawn*), with some filters. Filters ≠ design. Tell a story with your design. A burning metallic mask tells me nothing. Except "Why are they making another one of these things?"

Don't be sorry about the textspeak. Just stop using it. Please.
                            hmm.. i did'nt use any filters...

http://www.cinematicwallpaper.com/mo...sformers_2.jpg

used this image..

applied some image overlay effects ...added fire and smoke...
                            and created the text ..used dafont...

..sad ...this don't qualify ...even for a wallpaper...

.. missing the "story" .. yea...

Comment

It's not the techniques you used that are the problem, it's the lack of effort to be unique.

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X