X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• small family business - logo design critique

I am helping out my family's business (a bakery) by ramping up their advertising and online presence. I plan on launching a website and blog, creating ads for local print magazines/newspapers, as well as designing new business cards, t-shirts, delivery van decals, etc. First thing I need to do is decide on a logo and font combination for all of this.

Im not a graphic designer, I have no creative/artistic ability whatsoever, and my photoshop/illustrator skills are mediocre, so what I can accomplish is limited.

I guess I should briefly describe my reasons for choosing what I have chosen:

The cake slice logo fits with the business the bakery focuses primarily on cakes; birthday, wedding, etc. This logo was chosen by my parents in 1992 when they bought the bakery. I dont like how the icing looks like flames, and I dont like how the 2 dots on the left side touch the cake layers instead of being suspended in the icing. I tried to remedy the flames issue, but could not come up with anything decent looking.

As for the fonts, I chose "chunk" in all lowercase lettering because it is friendly and easy to read. I chose "marketing script" because the bakery itself has an old-timey/nostalgic feel to it, and was established in the 1950's, and I feel this font fits nicely with that aspect. I chose the "delicious" font because I needed a sans-serif font to balance the bold serif headline font, and also because I liked the idea of using a font named "delicious" for a bakery.

I kept it black and white for two reasons. One, I couldnt come up with anything else. Two, as far as I can tell, simpler usually equates to better when it comes to logos. The two colored options I threw in at the bottom were my sad attempts at creating something more interesting. I dont really think they work.

Here is what I have so far. I am interested to know which layout looks the best to you. I am also open to any ideas/criticisms as well.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...y/a12317f6.jpg

Welcome to GDF, csuarez! As you settle in, please read these important threads posted here. They will explain a lot about how the forum runs, from the rules and regulations to frequently discussed topics to the background on some of our lingo and inside jokes.

I hope you enjoy yourself!
    This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
    "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

OK, official Mod duty done. On to my crit.

You stumbled on the prime directive of logo design: Always start in black and white. Make it look good in B&W and you're golden.

Think of all the ways you might use this logo, both in size and in method.

Size: From business cards to billboards. Please design in vector (Illustrator), not bitmap (Photoshop) so you can cleanly scale your logo. On a business card, "cakes • breads • pastries" will be plugged up and lost. You have room to increase the point size. Reversed out (#5 & #11) will plug up even faster.

Method: Either would work for offset printing, but Scriptina will be next to impossible to embroider on polo shirts, chef's coats, etc. Think of all the ways you'd want to reproduce the logo. Flexo for the cake boxes? silk screening for tee shirts and tchotchkes? Decals for your delivery vans? Make a list.

Also yeah, the icing could be smoothed out, and the slice of cake could be more 3-dimensional. If you ask Google about "slice of cake" images, you'll see that they're most always shot down at an angle, not straight on. Look at some images, then draw your own from memory. You can do it!

I look forward to your next round of comps.
      This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
      "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

Thanks for the reply, garricks.

Im thinking of abandoning the scriptina font all together as it is somewhat hard to read, and doesnt fit as well with the business. I may decide to use it for wedding cake adverts, as it looks more formal/elegant. Good points about #5 & 11 plugging up.

I'll smooth out the cake icing in illustrator, as well as look for "slice of cake" images.

Comment

You're welcome. I'm a big fan of cake. And pie. And pastries. And doughnuts. And St. Louis Gooey Butter Cake. (If you don't know what it is, ask Google about the recipe...YUM!) OK, I want to LIVE in a bakery.

It's pretty quiet around here on the weekends, watch for more crit tomorrow.

Comment

I heard someone say pie.
            "Lucy, you got some 'splainin' to do!" - Ricky Ricardo

Comment

Originally posted by urstwile View Post
              I heard someone say pie.
              <sigh> Are you really going to start up that Pie/Cake discussion?

Comment

First, I would like to say that most of your thumbnails are use alignment very effectively, and I agree with the san-serif type for the smaller text because there are fewer details to get lost at small sizes. I would suggest seeing what making the afore mentioned small text bold, increasing the contrast like that might help make that text more readable at smaller sizes.

As for which design I like best, I would have to say that that pleasure belongs to #1. It keeps the focal point (the cake) bigger, and provides a nice pocket for the smaller text to fit into.

As far as the cake is concerned, all I have to say is pretty much what has already been said, try to get an angle view, and smooth out the icing (if you look at pictures you will probably see smoother curves for frosting). If you put a new angle on the cake you might not even end up needing the dots.

As a final thought, if you want something around the cake like in your bottom two examples try something like the outline of a slice of bread.

-Fairth
                While I recognize the necessity for a basis of observed reality... true art lies in a reality that is felt. -Odilon Redon

Comment

I don't like any of them - sorry about that. In visual terms, is 'family' really that linear?

Comment

I applaud your doing this for your family, and you may yet make a decent fist of it, but I'm curious as to why they would have a sound marketing plan yet skimp on the bedrock of that plan, the design. For a logo that's going to be plastered all over town (not to mention all the other stuf you mentioned) they're taking a cheap, slapdash approach. Considered a professional designer?

Comment

The logo is ok. The cake icon isn't good. The type looks very generic. Nothing special about it.

How about instead of 10 of the one design you do 10 different designs.

"May your hats fly as high as your dreams"Michael Scott

Comment

Why is the piece of cake on fire?

Comment

I also like #1. I think for not being a designer, you've done a great job! Can the pice of cake be less heavy somehow? It is very heavy and bold. Cake is light and fluffy...

Comment

I guess I overestimated my abilities for this project; I posted this exact thread on other message boards, and "you suck, hire someone" was the unanimous response on those boards as well. Im definitely going to hire someone.

Im not sure how this works (finding a designer, soliciting their services, narrowing down submissions, etc.) but I will visit the websites of those who have responded in this thread, and if anyone reading wants to PM me Id be glad to take a look at what you can offer.

Thanks.

Comment

csuarez, make a post in the 'Classifieds" section of the forum, with a contact address. People will respond with their info and portfolio links.

Comment

home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | about us | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | events | forums | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions about | terms of use | privacy policy | Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X