This is the Sidebar.php coding:

<div id="sidebar" class="clearfix">

<?php if(is_author()) : ?>
    <div class="widgetBox...
    Today, 01:10 PM
  • kemingMatters
    Comment on Getting into graphic design
    kemingMatters
    It should be noted that all files should be CMYK colour mode only when printing CMYK on a press. If you are printing digitally, spot colours can be left intact, although it varies from workflow to workflow....
    Today, 12:58 PM
  • KitchWitch
    Reply to Getting into graphic design
    KitchWitch
    Hi The01printer and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't...
    Today, 12:56 PM
  • kemingMatters
    Reply to Getting into graphic design
    kemingMatters
    Hello The01Printer, welcome to GDF!
    We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything...
    Today, 12:55 PM
  • kemingMatters
    Reply to Hi All!! Want to shift career to Graphic designing
    kemingMatters
    Hello SanDreams, what a sombre and mildly ironic name... welcome to GDF!
    We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few...
    Today, 12:52 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soap Company logo - Need feedback

Hey all --

This is my first time posting, so let me give you a little background. I'm going back to school next year to study graphic design. I work full time, but I've been doing design work for friends with small businesses (logos, postcards, ads, etc.) in the meantime. It tends to work well for them economically, and I can build experience and use the $ to help pay for school. The one thing I'm missing at this point is feedback from people who are experienced and can give good design advice.

So --

I'm designing a logo for a friend's soap company (it's actually my boss's husband -- no pressure there, right?). It's a new company, bascially a one-man operation. He makes hand made soaps and is planning on first selling them at farmers markets, local shops, etc. He is new to the business, and I haven't gotten much feedback as to what kind of image he wants to portray, so I kind of just went with my gut and designed something fairly simple.

I still would like to clean these logos up a bit, but I want to get some feedback on what I have so far before I become fixated on anything. I have a couple of pages of sketches, but I narrowed it down to these three:

I appreciate any constructive criticism you guys have. Thanks!

I would say you have become fixated on 1 thing already: a butterfly. Is there not anything else you can explore? A chrysalis perhaps?
    It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

Originally posted by budafist View Post
      I would say you have become fixated on 1 thing already: a butterfly.
      I quite liked No.3 but it looked more like a cat than a butterfly!

Comment

#3 is definitely the better of the three. But it does look like a cat. Perhaps check a swallowtail butterfly? The Y is awkward in all three versions.

Comment

I hadn't seen the cat before -- but I can definitely see it now! Not what I was going for. I'll look into other wing shapes. The "Y" has been a problem - I like the idea of using it that way, but it makes everything look unbalanced.

Thanks for the feedback -- it definitely helps.

Comment

Not to be a pain - but doesn't the name also apply to any puape, like butterflies and mosquitoes etc.

It's more to do with an insect from a cocoon than a particular insect.

Maybe that could be worked into the logo in some nice way.

I used to think butterflies were lovely, but looked closely at one recently and I wasn't impressed.

"May your hats fly as high as your dreams"Michael Scott

Comment

I actually kind of like the middle one. I like the "plate with tacks" look. It would also translate nicely for a sticker for on the soap itself. I craft and sell my work, so I'm thinking ahead about how to apply this in a somewhat DIY fashion to the actual soap. Are you going to wrap the soap in nice papers?

I agree also that it would be fun to play with the shape of an actual Chrysalis.

Comment

Originally posted by eugenetyson View Post
                Not to be a pain - but doesn't the name also apply to any puape, like butterflies and mosquitoes etc.

It's more to do with an insect from a cocoon than a particular insect.

Maybe that could be worked into the logo in some nice way.

I used to think butterflies were lovely, but looked closely at one recently and I wasn't impressed.

Not a pain at all -- it's actually pretty close to what I thought when she told me the name of the company. I felt like it was so broad, and could say so many different things. And a chrysalis in and of itself isn't a very attractive thing, let a lone what may come out of it -- could be an insult or an asset, depending on what direction you take it! That's why I went with the butterfly - people generally associate it with something lovely, a natural beauty, and that would tie in with the whole natural bath/beauty company thing, as well as the company name.

I think I'll play with this a little more on pen and paper. Thanks for the input.

Comment

Well a line drawing of a butterfly emerging from a cocoon would be a powerful image.

"May your hats fly as high as your dreams"Michael Scott

Comment

Originally posted by becktesch View Post
                    I actually kind of like the middle one. I like the "plate with tacks" look. It would also translate nicely for a sticker for on the soap itself. I craft and sell my work, so I'm thinking ahead about how to apply this in a somewhat DIY fashion to the actual soap. Are you going to wrap the soap in nice papers?

I agree also that it would be fun to play with the shape of an actual Chrysalis.
                    When I designed that one, that's what I was thinking -- tags made from natural paper, embossed bar soaps, thin, hand-made paper wrapping the soaps with a somewhat antique-looking sticker sealing them. I think you know where I'm coming from. I wanted a modern version of the antique soap company logos. I'd still like to incorporate that somehow, at least in the packaging. (As a side note, I found a lot of companies that will make custom soap stamps, and are fairly inexpensive, depending on the size. Worth checking out!)

I'm starting to play around with the chrysalis shape a bit more, and I think I can make that work. I think I just had a bad image in my head, and that's why I've been avoiding it. But so far I'm liking the idea.

Comment

I think Chrysalises are beautiful. the concept is beautiful too. It's a place that is al at once, a shelter, a place for transformation, rebirth. Cocoons are thought of as warm and protective. Is it perhaps the clients thought that the soap is supposed to protect and transform you skin? I just got an image in my head of a lotion bottle squirting out a chrysalis shaped blob of lotion

check this out:
                      http://www.flickr.com/photos/eclecti...es/2861869642/
                      http://www.flickr.com/photos/jnhkrawczyk/2856726398/!

Comment

I don't suppose you could make a pair of cupped hands and the bar of soap, represent a butterfly coming out of the pupa? i.e. the hands shaped like butterfly and the bar of soap the pupa. A tall order I reckon.

Comment

I like 2 aswell; the traditional element is very appealing to me. It doesn't have to be original, just well done. Three looks like it would blow away on the wind. Those whispy lines would get lost/lose definition reduced or with poor reproduction. And the pupa idea - they are ugly things. They may symbolise something beautiful conceptually but physically they're like little bird poos.

Comment

I like the second version - as you've stated it looks like a traditional fancy soap label.. needs some work though

- don't like the kerning between the Y and S.. maybe lose the swash on the S

- kerning on SOAPS could use some increasing

Comment

how great a chrysalis would look stamped into the top of the soap. an engraved style....
                              You can't treat every situation as a life and death matter... you'll die a lot of times.

Comment

home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | about us | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | events | forums | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions about | terms of use | privacy policy | Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X