X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mascot Re-design

One of my bosses' clients (an elementary) recently had a promotion of a new principal. The new principal met with my boss and they hashed out some ideas of the direction she would like to take in school designs and what that would mean to our company. That said, I was given the job of re-designing the mascot, which is an eagle. The old eagle is baby-ish, very cute, sort of like a chibi (anime) eagle. She did not want this, which is fair, considering the older students are probably embarrassed by having such a cute mascot. In any case, the eagle is in the process of being updated. I have posted the three images approved by the principal below.

The thing is, I'm not sure how to finish them. I have an idea of making them like a stencil, kind of gritty looking, but I think I need a few more ideas.

What she wanted was a "cool, rough character, but not scary." That is all she gave me for direction. Oh, and I'm only allowed the colors red, white & blue (school colors), but black is also acceptable.

So what do you think of the new design? And any suggestions for finishing it? The design would ultimately end up on t-shirts, bumper stickers, ribbons, folders, etc. The sort of things you get from a school. Not sure if there's anything else I need to add in...

"When you have to kill a man, it costs nothing to be polite." --Winston Churchill

Call me Ares.

I prefer the head on it's own. Bird man is kinda creepy, he is also very nekkid, I know it's a bird, but it's also a man!
    http://martyng.com

Comment

He looks angry, scared and confused all at the same time.

I sort of liked it though. I'm sure it's still very much in it's elementary stage.

"May your hats fly as high as your dreams"Michael Scott

Comment

Originally posted by martyng
        I prefer the head on it's own. Bird man is kinda creepy, he is also very nekkid, I know it's a bird, but it's also a man!
        I thought about that when I first drew him, but neither the principal nor the vice-principal noticed or said anything about it... Then again, the Muppets didn't really wear clothing on a regular basis...'cept the females, because that would just be vulgar. Lol. Which head do you prefer? The one with black eyes or the one with white eyes? I prefer the second one, though I'm not sure why...

Originally posted by eugenetyson View Post
        He looks angry, scared and confused all at the same time.

I sort of liked it though. I'm sure it's still very much in it's elementary stage.
        Angry, scared, AND confused? Wow...I'm suddenly very impressed with myself. Lol. I was going for laid-back with a "just try and mess with me" expression. I don't really see the scared or confused part though...

And yes, it's still a work in progress. This is the half-way point, I would say. The basic structure is there, but I need to finish it, and fine tune it (like, say...the facial expression.)
        "When you have to kill a man, it costs nothing to be polite." --Winston Churchill

Call me Ares.

Comment

Friendlier expression is what I was going for. Looking good though.

Comment

I'd say it needs more eagle and less dude. Based on the description of what they want I'd try to do something similar to the style of the Miami Hurricanes mascot but with a friendlier face.

Comment

The first one looks like he's giving a sarcastic thumbs up.

The second one looks like he's angry and confused, angry because he's late for something, and confused because he can't find his car keys.

The third one just screams "Look at my penis"

Comment

Originally posted by Yossarian View Post
                I'd say it needs more eagle and less dude.

Yes!

Right now he sort of reminds me of "Poochie" from the Itchy and Scratchy show.
                Heresy is a victimless crime.

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                Working...
                X