Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need criticism please

I just made this..

What would you rate it? Amateur, Semipro, Noob.. 1/10? What would you change.. Need to know my limits..Thanks.. I'm 13 years old.

Ok 13, il go easy. Its a sig. WOW.

Ok now for the info. Graphic design in not just about GRAPHICS........ Your only larning how to use a program with this sort of work...

Heres a challange to push your limits.

Design a poster for a big up and coming DJ fest in scotland. Age gorup would be 18+......You have full control of the finished project and the one restriction you do have is, you must only use TYPE.

Comment

I can't use text at all.. It's horrible.
      I'm not using photoshop.
      I'm using gimp.
      The signature is made up from scratch.
      The only thing I got was the render, on the right.
      It was black and white.
      If you look closely theres alot of detail..

15 layers.

I've been working with Gimp for 3 years.. For me that's an amazing work. I know how to do professional work, as I have on my computer with photoshop CS3.

Thanks.

Comment

Moved to the Crit Pit.

Welcome to GDF, mass. Please read these important threads posted here. They will explain a lot about how the forum runs, from the rules and regulations to frequently discussed topics to the background on some of our lingo and inside jokes.

I hope you enjoy yourself!
        This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
        "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

Graphic design is about communication. You'll need a background in typesetting and page layout if you want to be a professional graphic designer.

You'll also quickly learn that graphic design is about making the client happy.

I suggest that you read the topics listed HERE for more information.
          This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
          "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

Why do we need to know how old you are?
            Sigs. Made by the internet, for the internet.

Comment

Originally posted by massdestruction View Post
              I know how to do professional work, as I have on my computer with photoshop CS3.
              That means absolutely nothing. What about InDesign or Illustrator? Knorledge of color theory or font and design history?? "Professional" has nothing to having Photoshop on your computer.

Being 13 years old or not, I am going to give you my honest opinion. It's a sig, you designed it as yourself being the client. There were no outside guidelines, requests or information to follow. If you are happy when the out come, then that is all one needs to hear. There is no reason for us to "critique" this sig image.
              Professional Pixel Pusher Designing the world around you. | Working daily to reach 10,000 hours of practice.

Comment

I think its useful Schmoo, especially since the majority here are made up of Professionals its doesn't make sense to treat them at the same level as we would treat another professional or even someone coming out of school.

To the OP: The problem I see with it though is that the figure doesn't make any correlation with the tech-like background. I would say for your age it's pretty good in terms of learning the software and using image making techniques, but the images don't work in context.

You should also heed the advice that what your creating isn't design as much as it is digital art, and that the programs, while often used in design, do not constitute design simply by their use.

It would be akin to hand sketches or figure studies compared to a finished painting. It's more like practice and study.

You have a lot of time to learn though and if you have the opportunities through school to take design classes or work on the school newspaper the more the better for the experience and education if this is what you want to do for a living.
                Tumblr Blog Thing

Comment

I did my fair share of sigs when I first started learning the software and I'm sure a lot of other people on here did too. For what it is, I think it's good. However, it is not graphic design. It's digital art. If you're really interested in learning graphic design, stick by here and you'll learn a lot.
                  "Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
                  -Steve Jobs

Comment

I've been working with Gimp for 3 years.. For me that's an amazing work. I know how to do professional work, as I have on my computer with photoshop CS3
                    The false modesty didn't last long, did it.

Comment

It's great.

But... I might be biased. I mean, that looks a lot like my first girlfriend.

Comment

I know how to do professional work, as I have on my computer with photoshop CS3.
                        Wow, that's a pretty ballsy statement to make, especially on a site made up of professional graphic designers. If you're so confident in your skills, than lets see some of this professional work you know how to do.

As for your sig. Sorry, I don't like. To me it just looks like every other sig out there done by people that think they're graphic designers.

Comment

The only thing I got was the render, on the right.
                          Where did you got it from?

Comment

Originally posted by Roth View Post
                            The false modesty didn't last long, did it.
                            12:34 -> 12:53 = 19 minutes precisely.

Just think of the development that can take place in 24 hours!!

I suppose by this time tommorrow he will expect to be a senior member with moderator status.

Comment

True its only a sig, that you are posting on a Graphic Design Forum. Excuse the generalisation, but an image and a bunch of filters is not graphic design. You, however are only 13 and you have years ahead of you to understand the above. At the moment I think its great that youre learning the applications as you will need to do this at some point in your life. I think that if you are seriously planning to get into the industry than its only great youre starting now. The earlier the better .

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X