Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• PrintDriver
    Reply to in need of urgent help
    PrintDriver
    If someone pulls a prank, they're the arse. Glad my boss doesn't take kindly to pranks. We have fun, of course, but anything that costs the company money? Not so much.
    Yesterday, 11:18 PM
  • Buda
    Reply to New design lover here
    Buda
    Welcome Sasa.
    Yesterday, 10:13 PM
  • Buda
    Buda
    I agree, the borders are too heavy.

Don't stretch the text. Use it at 100% scale only.

Personally, I don't think you need vertical lines at all. Just horizontal rules would...
    Yesterday, 10:12 PM
  • Buda
    Reply to Business Card Critique
    Buda
    The back and the front look like branding for two completely different businesses.

What pt size is your contact details? It looks a bit too small from here. I wouldn't go under 8pt. You might...
    Yesterday, 10:09 PM
  • PanToshi
    PanToshi
    Welcome to GDF ralf

We ask all new members to read the very important links here and here. These explain the rules and how the forum runs. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every...
    Yesterday, 09:48 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Logo

This is my logo re-design. I wanted to be bold, creative and clean. I wanted a logo which could be used in many ways.
    Attached Files
    www.smearns.wordpress.com

?
    I'm confused on this. is it a mouth? a "V" and an "A" ?
    Dribbble Page
    Behance Portfolio
    Linkedin Profile

Comment

I can't really read it or tell what it is.

Comment

It's confusing. Is that meant to be a traffic cone in the A? Then you've got a heart in the V, with what appears to be a random grey bit. Its leaning towards ambiguous and cluttered rather than bold and clean.
        When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

Comment

I understand the pen and pencil (although the pencil looks like a V with a bum!!)
          but it does distract from the text - Mevarns?

Comment

Originally posted by Jam View Post
            I understand the pen and pencil (although the pencil looks like a V with a bum!!)
            but it does distract from the text - Mevarns?
            oh I see that now, pretty confusing though and a bit too detailed.
            http://martyng.com

Comment

I didn't see it. I thought there was a person hiding behind the letters. Your customers wont get it. You are being too clever!
              It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

I think it's pretty clever, but like someone said a wee bit too clever.

I think loosing the blue V and A text completely might hold the answer.

Did anyone spot the obvious mistake?

The ellipitical shaving arcs are pointing the wrong direction.

See the attached image for how it ought to be.
                Attached Files

Comment

That's a pretty shade of blue.
                  I saw the image straight away - and I think it's clever - but I don't think it works.

I don't see anything wrong with the "elliptical shaving arcs".

Comment

I saw the pencils straight away, but am unsure about how they work with the text (especially using multiple colours) or what the text is - is it Mearns? If so, why the V above the A?

I'd suggest simplifying it somewhat - working in just black, how about replace the a with just the pencil image - as it's triangular, it already forms the shape of the letter, so doesn't need to sit inside the letter.

Comment

A few ideas of what you could do differently are:
                      1. With caution, consider trying a photo (if you might need to make your logo really big, this might not be a good idea)
                      2. Use just one pencil without the letter and try to use negative space to create the letter for you.
                      3. Try other stuff, like putting the text inside a pencil graphic, or warping the letters to look like a pencil.

-Fairth
                      While I recognize the necessity for a basis of observed reality... true art lies in a reality that is felt. -Odilon Redon

Comment

Originally posted by Fairth Ebrithil View Post
                        With caution, consider trying a photo (if you might need to make your logo really big, this might not be a good idea)
                        It's not a good idea at all. A raster image should NEVER be used in a logo under any circumstances. That's logo design 101.

Comment

Maybe it's not a good idea, but I've seen it done before. I know it's not a good idea, but what if it works? No doubt I sound stupid right about now, but if you know the Logo isn't ever going to be made really big, you have the image in it's original (large) size so the logo won't loose quality due to numerous up and down resizes, and you know it's never going to get put used in any way that the detail wouldn't be able to show up, what's the big deal? A good image will usually draw more attention than the best graphic. All that said, I am still a graphic design student, please, educate me. That's my main reason for being on this site after just plain enjoying talking about graphic design.

With the best intent to learn. -Fairth
                          While I recognize the necessity for a basis of observed reality... true art lies in a reality that is felt. -Odilon Redon

Comment

Originally posted by holycow77 View Post
                            That's a pretty shade of blue.
                            I saw the image straight away - and I think it's clever - but I don't think it works.

I don't see anything wrong with the "elliptical shaving arcs".
                            Trust me, I've chamfered enough hexagon bars on a lathe to know where the most metal gets removed, and sharpened enough pencils, i.e. more metal / wood is removed where the diameter is greatest, i.e. across the peaks of the hexagon's corners. Just look at the picture. If you can't see it from the photograph then I will hardly convince you with text. I'm not suggesting it's wrong, I know it's wrong

Comment

Originally posted by double A-ron View Post
                              It's not a good idea at all. A raster image should NEVER be used in a logo under any circumstances. That's logo design 101.

Tell that to AOL

http://www.underconsideration.com/br...ation_next.php
                              When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X