Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• ISitude
    Reply to Logo tutorial
    ISitude
    There's a follow-up survey found just after the last vid ...I'm guessing that my written answers are also award winning
    Today, 03:48 AM
  • MichaelWied
    Comment on Logo tutorial
    MichaelWied
    Agreed.
    Today, 03:38 AM
  • PrintDriver
    Reply to Logo tutorial
    PrintDriver
    Then change the title to "Getting Started with Illustrator"
    Not "Logo Design."
    Today, 03:25 AM
  • MichaelWied
    Reply to Logo tutorial
    MichaelWied
    I honestly think he's just showing some quick tuts to get people started in illustrator. But I know what you mean by people seeing these videos and thinking that's how stuff gets done. An even bigger...
    Today, 03:22 AM
  • Buda
    Reply to Need feedback on this package
    Buda
    The chocolate stuff looks like blood.
    Today, 03:16 AM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Crit Pit vs Clients

I don't post much for crit - most personal pieces actually like my wedding invitatiosn, but I just wanted to start a discussion on how the crit pit would be viewed by clients.

If you were a client buying a service, how would you feel if you saw your brand being critiqued in the working stages? Would you be happy your designer was actively seeking other opinions?

I personally think crit is a vital part of learning and working. It's great that we can get it here for free. But of course, it's not for everyone - especially those designers that work for other companies.
    It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Yea but, if i was paying a designer to design my companie image, and seen it posted here with comments on how to mnake it work better. Id think the designer was incompetent and needed help.
    Some clients think our job is easy.

Comment

That's why on Sign Up there is a big bold message not to use your real name, client's name, etc when posting. We've had more than a few requests to remove posts where either the designer got cold feet or the client saw their company name come up here in the GDF before their own SEO. LOL. GDF policy is not to remove them.

I'd consider a client's new mark, logo, ad campaign, exhibit or environmental decor strictly confidential until first used by the client. <shrug>

Comment

i wanted to post a logotype i was working on but decided against it as they had yet to reveal it.
        once they did, i figured too late to post. that's my 9-5 though.
        Dribbble Page
        Behance Portfolio
        Linkedin Profile

Comment

True, confidentially is a bit part to play here.
          It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

for freelance i feel the client's are normally fine with it. with the 9-5 and company policy, things get touchy. Most things i post are either after-complete or personal.

Maybe just throw a space in the middle of a company name so when people type it that particular name wont show high rankings in a search engine.
            Dribbble Page
            Behance Portfolio
            Linkedin Profile

Comment

It seems to me that the majority (not all) of the work submitted to the crit pit is from amateurs or people starting out in the profession.

If I, as a client, stumbled across my business being discussed here, I'd may feel like my privacy had been slightly violated.

If the post was along the lines of "Look what I've done, what do you fellow professionals think?", it probably wouldn't be all that bad, but if it was more of a "i just downloaded photoshop, how do I make a logo that's shiny" post... hmmmm...

Comment

but if it was more of a "i just downloaded photoshop, how do I make a logo that's shiny" post...
                One would hope as a client you would see the error of your ways. Misrepresentation is a contract breaker.

Comment

i can't post any of the stuff i create because i'm an in-house guy. and i don't get to do a lot of varied freelance stuff, so it's frustrating to me that i can't really participate -- though i do crib suggestions and apply others' suggestions to my own work.

but i freely tell my employer that i solicit (and hopefully give) advice on this professional forum -- which i can honestly say has both saved me time and money for my company.

but while i tell them that, i also am clear to say that i don't post any of our stuff, but ask questions when i need to, and give advice when i can.
                  Remember: Wherever you go, there you are.

Comment

i would never let a client know i look at this forum and i would never, ever post any in-progress paid work either. both because if a client comes across it online it makes me look like i do not know what i am doing, and secondly because we sign a non-disclosure with every client so i legally cannot post it anyway.

one thing i have learned about clients, they care about the result, not the process.

Comment

this may get me in hot water, but i don't mind saying that i'm learning things i wasn't sure how to do, or trying different ways of doing things. that's why i'm a member of this forum. i don't pretend to know everything or be the "be-all, end-all" of design, though as a 20+ year veteran i know my way around pretty well. i've figured out ways of doing things that get me the results i want -- however, sometimes there's a better way.

and i'm secure enough in myself to say that. and i'm also secure enough in my clients and the services i give them to say when i don't know how to do something, like some of the web design. it doesn't happen often, rarely in fact, but it's been my experience that if you're up front with your clients they'll appreciate your honesty and integrity. and your fellow designers will appreciate it, too -- i send those clients their way, and they reciprocate.

so, while i may not shout it from the rooftop, i do tell clients and employers, and other designers, that i'm a member of a professional forum that provides advice, direction and folks to vent to. other professionals do the same every day -- there are forums for lawyers, printers, EMTs, firemen...doctors consult with each other every day.

just my .02.

Comment

I don't think Greedo meant it quite that way. Maybe.

There is nothing wrong with being a member of a forum. It's all in how you interact. This place is fairly professional.
                        I use it to see what designers are doing, and how they are doing it. Or maybe to deflect some folks from the errors of their ways.

Comment

i just enjoy pointing out phallic similarities in people logos

"There's something about turning the pages of a book or magazine and the felling of rubbing your hands across the words."

This is my pen tool. There are many like it, but this one is MINE. My pen tool is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My pen tool without me is useless. Without my pen tool, I am useless.

there is no grey area when it comes to 1 color logos.

Comment

I've posted one piece of work from my current job so far and I purposefully didn't include the name of the company so that it would never be found on google. That's probably a good thing to mention actually; if someone doesn't write the name of the company then I guess we should avoid writing it in any of the replies to the post!

As there is only one other designer where I'm at I doubt anyone from my company would ever come across anything I post here. If they did then I can't see a problem as I'm just getting some advice which will hopefully lead to a better result.
                            When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

Comment

@PD, yer prolly right. the holidays make me so emotional... *big hug*

there's a lot of good talk about bacon. there can never be enough talk about bacon. and more cowbell.

Comment

home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | about us | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | events | forums | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions about | terms of use | privacy policy | Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X