Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• RCdublin
    Design Student Introduction
    RCdublin
    Hello everyone. I'm a design student in Dublin Ireland and I've just discovered the forum.

Looking forward to meet everyone and share ideas and tips.

There's a little...
    Today, 09:41 PM
  • misplacedVTer
    Reply to Graphic Design tutorials
    misplacedVTer
    Lynda is good for learning how to use design programs, not how to go about designing things....
    Today, 09:36 PM
  • misplacedVTer
    Comment on Anyone else only have a diploma┬┐?
    misplacedVTer
    @StudioMonkey
    The problem is that most places get SO many applications for a job posting that automatically weeding out the people without a degree becomes a way to pare the number down to something...
    Today, 09:31 PM
  • Cosmo
    Reply to RIP: The Necrology Thread
    Cosmo
    The name may not mean much to a lot of you, but just found out Steve Hed - one of the pioneers in bicycle wheel design - passed away today. I ride a set of his wheels on my race bike.

ht...
    Today, 08:56 PM
  • justproud2b
    General Branding (Re-branding)
    justproud2b
    Hello All,

I ended up finding this website in a search for information help to my issue. I need people for a sounding board. I'm trying to rebrand myself and I am struggling with a direction...
    Today, 08:31 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Music Artist Logo?

Hi everyone,

I'm an electronic dance music producer/dj and I need a recognizable logo for marketing purposes. The logo will be used on flyers/posters when I do live shows around the world as well as on my website of course.

I've come up with this myself:

I have gotten the feedback that it's pretty cool but a bit too plain?
    What do you guys think, and do you have any suggestions if it is indeed too plain?

Here are some examples of logos of other producers/djs in my field of music:

Here is the Illustrator (CS3) file of my logo idea:
    http://www.phynn.com/logophynn3web.ai

Many thanks in advance!

The extra leg on the "n"s make them look like "m"s.

I read it as phymm
    Heresy is a victimless crime.

Comment

Good critique, thanks! I hadn't shown it to anybody who didn't already know me as Phynn so they didn't notice. Thanks!

Comment

I didn't see m's, but I don't get why you have those lines in the n's. Maybe it's just me, but the first thing I thought when I saw that was not pure!

Is your real name Phineas? It's one of my all time favorite names but I couldn't name my son that because I thought it might doom him to the predicament of Phineas Gage.
        You're no longer a child when a mud puddle is an obstacle rather than an opportunity!

Comment

i too thought they were "m"s
          not bad, not great, similar to what i see in DJ arena.
          Dribbble Page
          Behance Portfolio
          Linkedin Profile

Comment

My real name is Finne.
            I don't know why I added those lines, I wanted to 'spice' up the type font I guess, but instead added confusion.
            I'm having a hard time coming up with some cool tweak to make this more of a logo than just a cool font.

Comment

Ditto with the lines making it look like m's.
              It is simple but that's not always bad.
              Do you have any other colors in mind?
              The yellow/orange gradient isn't bad by any means but some other colors might be nice to see as well.

Comment

Most of those examples you posted have some sort of symbol that goes along with their name. My thought is this: the h and the y in that font are really just the same letter flipped upside down. Why not take just those 2 letters and create some sort of yen and yang effect, maybe even using some cool blending modes and maybe another color. Make the h & y much larger and place the simple word "phynn" (minus the lines under the n's) below or to the side. As your symbol gains recognition, you may eventually be able to leave off the "phynn" and people will still know who you are.

Keep in mind that a logo should be simple. You can later add styling around the logo to portray your overall image.
                "Since we cannot know all that there is to be known about anything, we ought to know a little about everything."
                -Blaise Pascal

Comment

Originally posted by cornfed View Post

Is your real name Phineas? It's one of my all time favorite names but I couldn't name my son that because I thought it might doom him to the predicament of Phineas Gage.

One of my favorite names too. We'd have used it for my son, but the last name begins with F, and I just couldn't do the alliterative name thing to my own offspring.
                  Heresy is a victimless crime.

Comment

I read them as Ms as well.

Comment

Originally posted by lweedop View Post
                      Most of those examples you posted have some sort of symbol that goes along with their name. My thought is this: the h and the y in that font are really just the same letter flipped upside down. Why not take just those 2 letters and create some sort of yen and yang effect, maybe even using some cool blending modes and maybe another color. Make the h & y much larger and place the simple word "phynn" (minus the lines under the n's) below or to the side. As your symbol gains recognition, you may eventually be able to leave off the "phynn" and people will still know who you are.

Keep in mind that a logo should be simple. You can later add styling around the logo to portray your overall image.
                      Thanks for the advice. I did try some H-Y tricks previously but didn't come up with anything special. I'll give that another shot though!

Comment

I've been liking your remix of Statica, nice work.

For the logo it does look like m's, I lowered the extra legs and it seemed a little better. Once I lowered them they started to look like headphones. The other thought I had was another color for them.

It is unique and recognizable though.

Comment

Be warned that I'm about as far away from being an insider in the music business as you can get so my perspective may be off, but are you purposely distancing yourself from your real name? I would think that using "Finne" would build greater personal recognition and have longer lasting appeal, especially if you plan on being in this business for a long time.

I know it's not really a critique, just thinking out loud.

Comment

Perhaps define the n with as seen in...

...?

Comment

Thanks for the tips everyone.
                              I did a new version, this time with some Kerning and outline effect to make it look more '3d' and without a gradient. I think it looks too plain like this though. Any comments?

And here is another concept:

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc.
                              Working...
                              X