X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• magazine spread

I was wondering if you guys can give me advise on this magazine spread i did for class that i got a D on and need to redo

Your upper left header is WAY too close to the edge. Could easily get chopped if misregistered.

MYSTERIOUS is hard to read especially they way you have it tracked so tightly.

The typography is just plain odd.
    The drop shadow (and -is that a bevel?) on Bejing is a clear mark of an amateur.
    Why choose that typeface? Why did you use the grunge look on it?
    What do either have to do with the subject?
    (I'm not asking for you to use a hokey font like Mandarin, but you could have gone with something not so "punk".)

What was your plan insofar as overall page composition? Did you have a plan?

The pink/magenta does have some commonality with the photo, but it is far tooooo much of that color.

The blocks of text are so rigid, and have waayy too much space between the text and the photo.

Usually in travel/human interest stories it is common totrack out the text and leading for more "liesurely" reading.

A "pull quote" would almost be mandatory in a spread like this. Perhaps try something different with your drop cap.
    A piece like this should DEFINITELY have a subhead.

Also: I don't see how the photo correlates with "Mysterious Bejing" at all.

New observation:
    Your blocks of text are a real mess to look at.

The right edges are just WAY too ragged.
    I'd suggest ditching the indent on the paragraph's first line, and going with a "space before" or "space after" for a cleaner/ more contemporary look.

So in essence:
    1 REFINE your color pallette
    2. Work with a clearer composition
    3. choose better/more appropriate typefaces (whaty KINGD of magazine is this?)
    4. Pay attention to your typography. it is sloppy.
    Last edited by seamas; 12-04-2009, 09:45 PM.
    Heresy is a victimless crime.

Comment

I agree with a lot of Seamas' comments. Other than the overdone idea of sort of picking up the color form the photo, there is nothing cohesive that is holding this together. Currently each element is "floating" in their separate boxes with no idea of alignment or grid.

You don't always need to have a grid, but it helps to have one so you know where to use it and where to push it.

I'm not saying all of these are perfect, but here is a collection of spreads for inspiration. Hopefully that will help you see what you're missing compositionally.

I'd also recommend checking out well designed magazines and seeing which spreads appeal to you and why.

N.A.N.K.A. "We Kick Because We Care."

Comment

Also I'm kind of surprised that if you got a D on it that your instructor didn't offer reasons why as well as general pointers on what areas needed to be worked on.

N.A.N.K.A. "We Kick Because We Care."

Comment

Originally posted by Craig B View Post
          Also I'm kind of surprised that if you got a D on it that your instructor didn't offer reasons why as well as general pointers on what areas needed to be worked on.

Same here.
          Heresy is a victimless crime.

Comment

You need to do some reading and some learning on basic type setting. Learn what kerning is. Your body copy should be left justified I think with spaces after each paragraph or a full line return.

The serif font you have used for your drop cap doesn't work with the spread and neither does the font you have used for your heading. I can't see what font you have used in your body copy as it is too small to see.

Pink is a strong colour, but red would have been the more obvious choice. Pink makes the article suddenly for girls and with a girl in the photo, it doesn't suggest an article about a city.

There's nothing about the spread that suggests the article is about "Mysterious Beijing"
            It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

The white space looks like an accident as opposed to a design choice.

Comment

Great link Craig! Looking at those spreads has given me few ideas to try out on the magazine I'm currenty laying out at work. Thanks!

Comment

home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | about us | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | events | forums | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions about | terms of use | privacy policy | Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                Working...
                X