Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• vaprarts
    Reply to Down selling to clients
    vaprarts
    Now i have no real experience working with clients but in my opinion you did what most designers should do. You are being hired as a designer not an artist. Its our job to create work that makes sense....
    Today, 02:58 AM
  • Buda
    Reply to Zoo Business Card Critique Wanted
    Buda
    I really like the aesthetic.

Will you do more in the series? You could have a different design for different departments.
    Today, 02:44 AM
  • Buda
    Reply to Sweden's official national typeface
    Buda
    Cool idea but I'm not convinced that font will work in every situation. Can they remove Comic Sans from all government computers? That would be a nice start.

My mum works for a government...
    Today, 02:43 AM
  • it52
    Reply to Infographics...struggle
    it52
    I do find them a bit boring. I think the layout and graphics themselves are too simple. I think you can definitely try adding some more detail to the graphics and experiment a bit more with your layo...
    Today, 01:19 AM
  • <b>
    Reply to Down selling to clients
    <b>
    I always try to recommend what I think will work best for the client -- even when it means a lower fee for me. It sort of boils down to a matter of being professional and honest, which as far as I'm concerned,...
    Today, 12:40 AM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• few different logos...

...if anyone would like to take a look and give some feedback I would appreciate it.

The logos are for a packaging project for nuts (snacks). I am unsure which one looks the best really and which one to use.

Thanks

P.s. the quality isn't too good on the pink logo's as I used photoshop to scale them up. They don't look pixellated really.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by theshoefairy; 12-07-2009, 10:38 PM. Reason: forgot to attach image

My concerns.

1. I assume that the flourishy thing on the left logos was not created by you. If it wasn't you probably can't use it for a logo.
    2. Logos should be created as vector in a program like Illustrator so that they can be scaled to any size without losing quality.
    3. The font in the first 2 logos on the left is too overused and looks tacky.
    4. I don't like they pink ones - they look a bit awkward and boring and won't work really well in black and white.

What I like:
    The 3rd one down on the right is quite nice. It's neat and has a classic look to it. It would probably be a little confusing if it was on something other than a can of nuts as it doesn't really communicate any kind of message related to nuts, and neither does the name.

I think you should really put a lot more thought into this. Start by researching logos from similar industries, brainstorming words and making scribbles all over a note book.

Once you've come up with some strong concepts, choose the best 3 or 4 and then recreate them in illustrator using only black and white. Make sure any illustrations are your own work and not "borrowed" from google images or stock websites. (It's cool to use those for inspiration, but nothing else.)

The whole process will take a significant chunk of time. I'd say a minimum of 5 hours all up.

Comment

I think for a package, you want a strong mark. Like holycow, I like the third
      one down on the right. I think the concentric diamonds is a good direction to
      go in - now go sketch up 20 variations of it, sleep on it, and see which one
      you think looks best. THEN you can make a ton of sketches with different
      types, THEN a ton of sketches in different color combos, then the same for
      scale and placement, etc etc.

More than anything I've learned that if you can't count on a flash of genius at
      the outset (and who can?), you need to slog through the muck to get to the
      treasure. My two cents! Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by holycow77 View Post
        My concerns.

1. I assume that the flourishy thing on the left logos was not created by you. If it wasn't you probably can't use it for a logo.
        2. Logos should be created as vector in a program like Illustrator so that they can be scaled to any size without losing quality.
        3. The font in the first 2 logos on the left is too overused and looks tacky.
        4. I don't like they pink ones - they look a bit awkward and boring and won't work really well in black and white.

What I like:
        The 3rd one down on the right is quite nice. It's neat and has a classic look to it. It would probably be a little confusing if it was on something other than a can of nuts as it doesn't really communicate any kind of message related to nuts, and neither does the name.

I think you should really put a lot more thought into this. Start by researching logos from similar industries, brainstorming words and making scribbles all over a note book.

Once you've come up with some strong concepts, choose the best 3 or 4 and then recreate them in illustrator using only black and white. Make sure any illustrations are your own work and not "borrowed" from google images or stock websites. (It's cool to use those for inspiration, but nothing else.)

The whole process will take a significant chunk of time. I'd say a minimum of 5 hours all up.

The swirly crown was created in illustrator, as was the 3rd. The pink ones were created in InDesign.

I did tons of research on nut and snack logos and I found them all pretty boring. I then decided to research logos that used crowns and jewels hence the name and used them for inspiration.

I did like the 3rd when I first created that, but it just doesn't look right on the designs. It looks top heavy and also like it is just floating. Good point about the pink ones not working in B&W. I did think of that but most of the logo's I found for nut packaging also wouldn't work well in B&W so I overlooked it.

Comment

other than the slang toward nuts...the crown jewels...this doesn't really say nuts to me. are these high-end nuts?

super flavor nuts? top roasting technique? crown jewels is an odd name for edible nuts. hard to really get a grasp on the logo without some sort of feel to the nuts.
          Dribbble Page
          Behance Portfolio
          Linkedin Profile

Comment

Pink isn't working for me. Unless you are specifically going trying to sell to women (who like pink). Both men and women eat nuts!
            It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

Originally posted by BJMRGTIVR6 View Post
              other than the slang toward nuts...the crown jewels...this doesn't really say nuts to me. are these high-end nuts?

super flavor nuts? top roasting technique? crown jewels is an odd name for edible nuts. hard to really get a grasp on the logo without some sort of feel to the nuts.
              Sorry, I should have explained better. They are nuts aimed at the higher end of the market. Can't do anything about the name unfortunately as it is the one I was told to use. I didn't even know the refeference to the private bits of men until a friend pointed it out. I must say it made me smile, and now I know why the lecturer came up with it.

As they are "high end" nuts, I thought a crown/jewel based logo might be the best way to go.

Comment

Originally posted by budafist View Post
                Pink isn't working for me. Unless you are specifically going trying to sell to women (who like pink). Both men and women eat nuts!
                Yeah thats what I thought, I did try it in different colours but the pink seemed to work better with my designs for some reason. I might think about changing the pink to purple then, more unisex and also considered a "royal" colour if I do decide to use that one.

I would like to use to swirly crown though if I am honest.

Comment

Originally posted by budafist View Post
                  Both men and women eat nuts!
                  *giggle*
                  Society has come a long way.

Comment

I wrote a very long reply which disappeared after i hit backspace...
                    here's the gist
                    your current collection of ideas is way too far removed from the nut/snack world. I think you need to somehow include the nut/snack theme in your ideas. That doesn't mean you have to use the same concepts/ideas that are out there for nuts/snacks, but there needs to be a tie-in of some sort. Right now, it looks like a hair salon logo from the 90's. (no offense meant - just a constructive obsevation on the atmosphere of the logos)

Maybe you showcase nuts in place of jewels in jewelry pieces? I don't know, but this current direction isn't working but there is a solution out there for you, somewhere.

Comment

chuckle....nutsnack...freudian slip

Comment

I like the very last one - the one shaped like a jewel.

"May your hats fly as high as your dreams"Michael Scott

Comment

When it comes to high end goods, you have to get off the 'simple' train of thought. Think more like fine wine labels. You are competing for buy-me attention like a fine bottle of wine. This means just about anything goes. Sure you need a strong mark but you don't have to limit yourself to flat/boring.

If this is a class project, it will be interesting to see how many follow the same narrow road of royal purple/crowns/jewels. Have you tried thinking outside the box a little? School is about the only time you will ever get away with clever and off the wall ideas. Go nuts! <pun intended>

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                          Working...
                          X