Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• crdunsto
    Reply to Freelance Work/Volunteer Experience on Resume/Applications
    crdunsto
    Thanks for your feedback Print Driver. Let me clarify a few things you brought up in your post.

I am applying for admission to these schools. (This seemed like the most appropriate sub forum)...
    Today, 03:55 PM
  • kemingMatters
    Reply to Freelance Work/Volunteer Experience on Resume/Applications
    kemingMatters
    In most cases, freelance work won't be considered as industry experience, especially when you have no other related professional experience or education.

That being said, listing each job...
    Today, 03:51 PM
  • HotButton
    Reply to logo lettering new york
    HotButton
    Yeah sorry, but I'd also call this a full miss. The pointed ends don't improve the uninteresting font. The face and crown suggest the Statue of Liberty, but really don't look anything like it.
    Today, 03:42 PM
  • Cosmo
    Reply to Are you interested in selling your company?
    Cosmo
    Where were you in 2010 when I sold my company?

Seriously though, I do know of a company here that is more than likely going to be selling out soon. Other side of the country though. If that...
    Today, 03:18 PM
  • MaNL
    Reply to logo lettering new york
    MaNL
    In my eyes that doesn't work at all. You shouldn't torture typeface in this kind of way. What is the reasoning in sharping ends of the letters?
    Also, raised hand like this doesnt resemble statue...
    Today, 03:09 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flyer for club

This is my first attempt at...

well

really anything that takes skill.

I am used to most aspects of photoshop, but then again there are thousands of things I still need to learn. Most of the time I do things like switching faces, photo manipulation type of stuff.

But my buddy is promoting a club that has an awful flier apparently, and he asked me to make a better one... Somehow

Get ready

so that is it

This is what I came up with, for a "Vegas style club" in St. Louis

I have to use their logo at the top, and like I said, never done this before. I can't tell if someone could look at it and understand it alright, or if they would get a headache trying to read everything

Any suggestion is much appreciated, thanks!

Don't really know a big lot about drinking, so the text isn't very explanatory to me, (I don't know who gets what for free and when), but I wouldn't expect it to be, even if it made perfect word sense.

Referring to the general image, I like it, all but for the two big nipples and the flare in the top corners. Other than that I think it looks nice, but keep in mind that is a from a completely untechnically authority. I'm just saying visually I like it.
    When men will beg God to kill them and they won’t be able to die

Comment

I'll say it first, NEVER design in photoshop.

As for the poster - too much pazazz. Lose the glow, lose the stroke, lose atleast half of the effects, lose the 8,000 colours. Try and make it look vaguely like header, body text and background are part of the same club. Honestly, it's horrible.

Comment

Originally posted by Roth View Post
        I'll say it first, NEVER design in photoshop.

As for the poster - too much pazazz. Lose the glow, lose the stroke, lose atleast half of the effects, lose the 8,000 colours. Try and make it look vaguely like header, body text and background are part of the same club. Honestly, it's horrible.
        What if I am the only person he knows, and all I have at my disposal is CS2?

As for the advice, thanks.

I'll have a go at work again when I go back Monday, but until then, I can only think how I will change it. The text I admit I have no idea what I am getting into, especially when I realized over the past 6 months how in depth typography is, and how I don't know the first thing about it. I just kept adding, and adding, and adding stuff until it looked full. I guess it is "full", but just not co-ordinated.

Trial and error will hopefully settle this out

Again, thanks to both of you

Comment

If you've got CS2 that's perfect for what you need. It's not really about the programme. CS4 never made anyone a better designer. So crack open Indesign, or Illy if you prefer, drop the photoshop background in and redo the type. Look at other posters for similar bars, or bars in general. If in doubt, keep it simple. Try using a less condensed font. Heck, use helvetica. Give it a hierarchy. Important stuff bigger. You have big and not big, all spread out. Try zoning it, so there's room some places without type.

Comment

Good thing I had my sunglasses near by when I opened this thread...
            Sigs. Made by the internet, for the internet.

Comment

I'm with Roth (yet again). Stop the type-butchery.

Take the background (and maybe the header/logo) into Illy and use 'proper text'.

Text does not need be curved/squashed/stretched/glowing/outlined at every opportunity to send your message, keep the fancy bits, make the text easier to read.

PS. til should be 'til or until, not til

PPS. What's 'well drinks'? Here it means water straight out of a well?

Comment

Originally posted by bulgariacalling View Post
                PPS. What's 'well drinks'? Here it means water straight out of a well?
                This is a common phrase in the US. The 'well' is a kind of rack behind the bar, in front of the bartender. Also sometimes called a 'speed rail.' It contains the lower cost liquor the bartender uses when you order a "scotch and water" instead of calling your brand 'Dewar's and water.'

And frankly, this is kind of typical of bar flyers we see around town.
                This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
                "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

The frogs and the top text look kind of pixelated to me. Were they just scanned in at a low resolution?

Garricks is right! I see posters like this all over my campus. There are always so many posters that they have been making them more and more "crazy" to grab your attention. I will grab some photos of them next semester so you can see just how crazy they are.

As far as well drinks go, I think a quote by Tracy Morgan fits.
                  "It means you get F*#@ed up for less money!"
                  "You can't say it sucks. That's my job." -design professor

Comment

Originally posted by Heartburn_02 View Post
                    Referring to the general image, I like it, all but for the two big nipples and the flare in the top corners.
                    LOL, thats exactly what i was thinking too... they were 2 nipples...
                    Typos are very important to all written form. It gives the reader something to look for so they aren't distracted by the total lack of content in your writing.
                    - Randy K. Milholland

Comment

You need to be a little more specific about what is free...
                      Free Happy Hour? Yay!
                      Free bottle of Vodka with 8 friends Yay! (I suppose, if you drink vodka)
                      Free Beer and Food til 10? Can I start at 8? Yay!
                      How does this place make their money? Just curious.

Didn't Kool post about a sign behind a bar that said, "Free Drinks Tomorrow" ?

Comment

I am so far removed from drinking but... that poster looks like what I used to see AFTER I knocked back (quite) a few. I can't believe there isn't room for a well designed flyer to be successful if they all look like that. Maybe you could stand out from the crowd with a simplified design using bold colors and some hierarchy that Print Driver suggested. You have enough 'cute' from the frogs.

Comment

Originally posted by Ang View Post
                          LOL, thats exactly what i was thinking too... they were 2 nipples...

Subliminal messaging to attract the guys
                          When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

Comment

You need to learn about setting type. You're stretching and squishing text with no regard to respect to the letterforms.

I also agree that the poster looks like what it should look like after I've knocked back a few. Does that mean that a drunk person would see a well kerned poster?
                            It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" – Winnie the Pooh

Comment

I have to agree with what has been stated by the others.

I'm going to say it harshly: The use of type sucks and the nasty Photoshop filters suck too. Don't do that.

Stretching and distorting and outlining and 'outer glow" and effects just make this look cheap and amateur.

I would also STRONGLY suggest that whoever is owns the bar should read their copy very carefully.

Looks like a LOT of drinks and booze -not to mention entry-- are FREE up to a certain hour, and then cheap after that?

Looks to me like trouble will happen once groups of 8 or more come in expecting free bottles of vodka and free drinks and food and no entry fee.
                              People get PISSED when they a lured in to a place from false advertizing.
                              Heresy is a victimless crime.

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc.
                              Working...
                              X