Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• KitchWitch
    Comment on Do You Keep Work Drafts?
    KitchWitch
    Technically I don't limit changes, I just stop at three versions of the same thing. Once we get to version 4, version 1 gets tossed. The 'final' is mostly for me, so I can grab the right file quickly...
    Today, 06:15 PM
  • KitchWitch
    Reply to Help with starting out in Design
    KitchWitch
    Hi JacobyO and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done...
    Today, 06:07 PM
  • com_amy
    com_amy
    I wouldn't package everything multiple times. I generally don't even work in a draft format. So I figure that maybe 1 out of 5 projects will have multiple drafts. But those drafts will be useless later...
    Today, 06:06 PM
  • com_amy
    com_amy
    No they don't have access to the ID files. Sorry, by "they" I meant the people in the dept before me.
    Today, 06:04 PM
  • <b>
    Reply to Which of HTML and XHTML works best for most browsers?
    <b>
    It's an oversimplification, but XHTML is really just HTML that requires a tighter adherence to syntax. There are no recent, major browsers that can't handle both just fine.

Anyway, both have...
    Today, 05:49 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Personal Brand

Hello, I'm an amateur graphic designer attempting to develop my own brand.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
    Attached Files

Your own brand of...?

blog/portfolio

Comment

Sorry, I should've specified, my personal brand as a freelance graphic designer.

Comment

What's your area of expertise?

Right now, this looks like something I've seen before.. honestly, it reminds me of Orange Julius. I think, too, that it's a little trendy... unless that's what you're going for?
        I love my job. I hate freelancing.

Comment

I like it. I agree, it does make me think of orange juice, but who doesn't like orange juice?
          It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

shegetsby: i am particularly interested in branding. Indeed, you may be right about the trendiness of it. I did not aim for this, and usually don't, but I'm not as offended by trendiness (at least not in my own design) as oldschool designers are.

budafist: it is quite orange juicy! maybe Jones Soda will hire me to market their brand of orange juice (if they ever get one)?
            Last edited by martyjones; 12-16-2009, 09:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by martyjones View Post
              shegetsby: i am particularly interested in branding. Indeed, you may be right about the trendiness of it. I did not aim for this, and usually don't, but I'm not as offended by trendiness (at least not in my own design) as oldschool designers are.
              OK.. well, what kinds of logos do you like? I hate my name as my "brand" because, thanks to Calvin Klein, my initials can never be used (CK). So I came up with something else more suitable.

From a design standpoint, the logo is appealing and well done.. Are you using it as an identity/portfolio website or just something to slap on a business card?

Comment

Chelsea, i am quite drawn to designs by paul rand, david airey, milton glasier, etc.

As for the usage, i plan on putting it on everything, business cards, invoicing, website, etc. I know that ultimately this will not be a lifelong brand, but im satisfied for the time being. At least until i have more time to work on it.

I know what you mean with the initials, as i share a last name with millions of people in the U.S. It sucks.

Comment

The gap that starts at the "RT" and flows on down to the "ES" really throws the whole thing off... It's the only thing I see.

I'm not a huge fan of what you've done. IMHO, it's more a fancy font than a well thought out design.

Comment

Originally posted by holycow77 View Post
                    The gap that starts at the "RT" and flows on down to the "ES" really throws the whole thing off... It's the only thing I see.

I'm not a huge fan of what you've done. IMHO, it's more a fancy font than a well thought out design.

I do agree with holycow77 on this. Do you have comps or roughs to show us?

Well, find something you like? I went with a theme + color scheme combo so that way, even if I change my site (like I just did w/the Wordpress gallery setup), everything will still match. I will always like greys and blacks, so with an extra color thrown in, it still works. If you like the "classic" designers, then why not pay homage to any of them and use a font they've created? Just an idea.

But don't take it from me... I HATE the logo I have up at nerdydeeds.com right now. I just needed something little to fill in the gap. It's not "me" per se, but it's fine for now. I was more concerned that the layout functioned properly.

Comment

Holycow: both very good points, and i cant fault you on either, i do have several pages of sketches but i came around the Danube font mainly because i like it so much.

Chelsea, thank you for your feedback on that. It is a very good idea! I will have to look around and see what i can do with that.

Comment

I like smashingmagazine.com's posts, so maybe they'll inspire you too!
                        You're welcome!

Comment

The "A" in "Marty" looks too much like a "G" to me.

Comment

I can critique your logo, but if you want branding advice, I'd like to see more than just the logo. What does your work look like, how do you plan to present it, etc. My best advice... Think hard about your goals and where you want to work/what type of clients you want. The way you present yourself can affect they type of work you will get. It's like the saying, "don't dress for the job you have, dress for the job you want".

I'm a recently graduated student, and just did my own branding. My dream is to work for an Advertising Agency and eventually, way down the line, be a creative director. That's where I started when making my brand, http://www.SethTeeters.net
                            my work - http://www.SethTeeters.net

Comment

Originally posted by seth View Post
                              That's where I started when making my brand, http://www.SethTeeters.net
                              Nice site. Your Illustrator ad is unreal! How long did that take you?

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X