X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Portfolio Crit -- Feedback, pls!

Con-crit/comments on my site, work, whatever you feel like telling me. Feel free to use the star ratings or comment there, too. (Stars are anonymous, but if you suck and give me like a "1" I will change it!). Please, if you say "that's nice" or "good work" -- I'd like to know what, specifically, you like. Or, even better, what you don't like.

I do both design and photography, but I feel like the photos currently overwhelm my design work. Do you think that too? Should it matter? I ask because I have another set of photos to upload that are more environmental themed, not portraiture.

I know the "logo" is, well, not too impressive. I'm open for suggestions... trying to go for the obvious nerd-chic but can't really seem to find something just right. FYI: The background had a spotlight overlay effect but I took that down because I thought it was distracting. I can put it back up if you think the background needs some sort of texture.

The layout's all done in WordPress. This is my first real experience with WP as a gallery and I've had some success with it... struggled at first, but got it figured out.

Lastly, do I have enough information in the about, resume and services sections? Too wordy? Do the named anchors work well in the 'services' section or should I just scratch that and make my user scroll endlessly?

Thank you!
    Chelsea
    I love my job. I hate freelancing.

Overall, it's pretty nice! I'll give you some feedback based on what you asked us to specifically look at.

I do both design and photography, but I feel like the photos currently overwhelm my design work. Do you think that too? Should it matter?
    Photography appears to be your main focus based on your website. Two things give that impression: it's listed first everywhere (tab bar, services, resume, etc), and you also showcase more photos. I don't think it's a problem unless your main goal is to get more print or web business.

I know the "logo" is, well, not too impressive. I'm open for suggestions...
    Agreed. It doesn't seem to fit your style, it's too clean and modern. A lot of your photography is taken outdoors, and most of your print stuff has a collage, organic, old fashioned look. If I were you, I'd redo the logo to reflect that style. The typewriter font might be the only thing worth keeping, if you like it.

The background had a spotlight overlay effect but I took that down because I thought it was distracting. I can put it back up if you think the background needs some sort of texture.
    I like it the way it is. I think the solid dark background provides a nice backdrop for your work.

Lastly, do I have enough information in the about, resume and services sections? Too wordy?
    I think the Qualifications paragraph in the resume is a bit wordy and cliche. Everyone's resume says they have good communication skills, is self motivated, detail oriented, etc. Also, your resume doesn't list any of your previous jobs, which is what a resume does. Your resume talks a lot about what you're capable of, but it doesn't show that you've actually done any of these things. If you don't want to put your previous job experience on your website, then that's fine, but then maybe you can include some of your skills in the About section and delete the resume all together. Or, if you want to rewrite your resume, I suggest www.blueskyresumes.com, and use the free resume help section. They have the best resume advice I've seen anywhere.

Also, the justified paragraphs make it hard to read.

Do the named anchors work well in the 'services' section or should I just scratch that and make my user scroll endlessly?
    I don't like clicking on anchors anyway, so I don't care. It's not a very long section, so the user doesn't have to scroll that far if you want to remove them.

Comment

First of all, thank YOU! Right now, I am making more money on my photography side.. which is, I think (allbeit subconsciously) there's more photo than design work. BUT, that said, design was my primary focus in college even though I had a dual focus in both design and photo.

I think I am going to scrap the resume section all-together. I don't think it needs to be on there if I do a combo of the about and resume section. Good idea there, and thank you.

Will fix the justified text, but I do like that it's a crisp shape of text.. minus the waterfalls.

Comment

OK, made some changes to the about me, ditched the resume all-together.

Now to find the right vintage font.

Comment

I was trying to find the home page, then realised I was on it. The home page content seems like it belongs a bit deeper down the tree.

The logo you mentioned, I can't find it. Am I missing something here? Have I still not found your home page?
          When men will beg God to kill them and they won’t be able to die

Comment

I think many of the photos are just normal. I know the biggest percentage of photos I take are also normal, but I wouldn't be showcasing those ones. I think you'd be better selecting a dozen of your very best and ditching a lot of the others. They also seem to be very randomly organised, and much too many wedding and personal friend types included. Before reading the notes with each, I already assumed they were friends agreeing to pose for you, rather than a professional undertaking a commission. The only picture that really turns my crank is the Senior Picture. I really like that one.
            When men will beg God to kill them and they won’t be able to die

Comment

Just one thing. When I go to your Web section and click one of them, then click again to see the actual website, it'd be nice if the website would open in a new window. I hate having to use the back button.

Other than that, I think it looks good!

Comment

Originally posted by Heartburn_02 View Post
                I was trying to find the home page, then realised I was on it. The home page content seems like it belongs a bit deeper down the tree.

The logo you mentioned, I can't find it. Am I missing something here? Have I still not found your home page?

I have a new logo in the works, which is why you couldn't find it.. I reworked it into something better and didn't put it up last night. (I take my computer w/me to work and leave it there overnight).

You liked the senior picture? Not my favorite one at all. So I guess the next step is to weed through what I do as far as photo goes and pick out the best.

Comment

Originally posted by Shawj View Post
                  Just one thing. When I go to your Web section and click one of them, then click again to see the actual website, it'd be nice if the website would open in a new window. I hate having to use the back button.

Other than that, I think it looks good!

OK! Thanks, will look into getting those open in a new window. I didn't really even think of it.

Comment

BTW, most of the people, with the exception of 2, are people I worked with once at the studio I managed. Some were college photo projects w/film, others are digital.

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc.
                    Working...
                    X