Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• PrintDriver
    Reply to Extreme colour shift
    PrintDriver
    Usually it's a combination of the ink dot pattern and the lam, not so much the stock. And won't you get silvering if you lam a matte stock? Or is it a real smooth matte?

CMYK inkjet is notorious...
    Today, 08:15 PM
  • misplacedVTer
    Reply to Friend as a client - problem
    misplacedVTer
    It's a tough lesson lots of people in the industry have learned, myself included. As for making things physical... the guy that stiffed me like this told me he would come to my house and shoot me dead...
    Today, 08:14 PM
  • H22
    Comment on Logo for a small startup company....
    H22
    I have talked with them at length about it but that conversation is kind of lost on them. This is a side business that they "may" grow into something larger. But at the moment, they aren't focusing...
    Today, 08:03 PM
  • KitchWitch
    Reply to How to Delete Selected Backround
    KitchWitch
    Hi Brad and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done...
    Today, 07:56 PM
  • Keyare
    Reply to Extreme colour shift
    Keyare
    Would printing on a matte stock, then lamm help?
    Today, 07:54 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Critique my new site please!

I haven't had a website since I took my college design portfolio offline years ago. I'm completely new to blogging besides subscribing to a ton of other design blogs. I've been wanting to create a design blog for a while now. Finally sat down and did it. I really moved out of my comfort zone with the look of it. Tried to use a color scheme that I can't use on some of my clients' boring corporate sites.

I used Expression Engine CMS and updated to the newest version 2.0 yesterday. I really like it. Still getting used to the admin, it's not as user friendly as I think it should be. Anyway, critique away!

psst... Linky?
    This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
    "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

DOH!

http://www.thatdeadpixel.com

Comment

Any thoughts from anyone? good/bad?

Comment

Well done, but I'm not sure I want to RSS it yet. Nothing makes me want to follow it...

but the design's great. I like the theme.
          I love my job. I hate freelancing.

Comment

Originally posted by shegetsby View Post
            Well done, but I'm not sure I want to RSS it yet. Nothing makes me want to follow it...

but the design's great. I like the theme.
            Thanks! Completely understandable about not wanting to subscribe. I wouldn't either! I'm still tweaking and testing, after that and some more posts I plan on advertising it more.

Comment

OK! I am a fan of Smashing Mag too. Do you plan on posting links about design only or include business or any other aspects?

Comment

Originally posted by shegetsby View Post
                OK! I am a fan of Smashing Mag too. Do you plan on posting links about design only or include business or any other aspects?
                I'm not even sure what links I want to include in the sidebar yet...I'm still trying to figure out the "rules". Can I just link to any site? Should I ask for permission or only link to friends? Should I only link to sites that link to me? I have so many great sites I visit daily, I don't want to link to them all, so how do I narrow it down? Questions like that are still floating around in my head.

Comment

Mike, my opinion's always been that if it's a personal site, blog, whatever, to link to what YOU like and what you think your reader would like.

For the everyday links, I'd have something permanent in the sidebar. Another option, and I don't know if this is entirely possible, is import a delicious feed.

Comment

Good job, it's a nice clean design that doesn't get in the way of the content. The only thing that could do with looking at is the blog post headings. I assume the text is meant to be right up against the left edge of the box but it just looks like a mistake, probably because you have space on the right side. It would look cleaner if you added some space on the left as well.

Good luck with thinking of things to write on there!
                    When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

Comment

Originally posted by pinksta View Post
                      Good job, it's a nice clean design that doesn't get in the way of the content. The only thing that could do with looking at is the blog post headings. I assume the text is meant to be right up against the left edge of the box but it just looks like a mistake, probably because you have space on the right side. It would look cleaner if you added some space on the left as well.

Good luck with thinking of things to write on there!
                      Yea, that bugs me too. When I mocked it up, I had padding on the left and right side, even coded it that way and it looked great. When I used a heading that was longer and it dropped to a second line, the second line lost the padding on the left side. The first line of the heading then looked indented. After researching some other sites that have the solid color behind text I realize they were all like that. Must be a limitation, definitely a complete bummer.

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                      Working...
                      X