X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Dojo - logo variant

This follows along the tatami mat concept and after a few variations, I ended up with this. It is not finished in itself, only one I like the look of. I hope I can take it further.

What can be changed/removed/added? As it is, the black bars need to be thicker for print, I think.

Also, the font is Carbon Black, is that unacceptable for any reason? I havent seen any logos using the font but i'd like to know whether it is a wise choice.

It may also be interesting to note that the inverse of this logo looks very nice, as I originally made it.

Above is the old logo that was done in one night and used on a handful of Gis (clothing). The business has been sidelined for a rebranding of the gym. I posted this logo here before - its not particularly effective, but the client liked it a lot. He wants me to try doing The Dojo in this style (the belt), except in a calligraphy font.

In my mind, this would turn out to be very corny and cliched.

I think the inverse might work better. Not really sure on the alignment of 'DOJO': the way the D connects with the T could be misinterpreted and read as bojo.

And also all that whitespace on the left of the vertical line feels rather unnecessary.

Comment

I am wondering how those bars appear when the logo is placed on a page, etc.
      Sometimes elements like that "point" away from the subject.

Also: The "THE" is terribly prominent. It looks like it has just as much weight and importance as "DOJO".

I know it may not fit with you tatami mat concept, but I think having the white spaces the same size is a mistake. Make the top one smaller (less tall) will help you bring down the size of the "THE", and make the left mat space shorter (you can also make that one slightly thinner). Having the three white spaces work harmonious with each other while being different sizes. It'll make them more visualy interesting without being too complex.
      Heresy is a victimless crime.

Comment

That (smaller white space) might work, but tatami mats come in 2x1 and 1x1 and there are certain 'traditional' patterns (although you could do anything you want with them). Thats the problem, its very limited in what arrangements you can come up with. Anything different and it loses its association with traditional tatami mats.

I'm not sure as to the weight of 'The' - i'm leaning towards making it just as prominent as the word 'Dojo' and not smaller as you suggested.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr.McNinja View Post
          That (smaller white space) might work, but tatami mats come in 2x1 and 1x1 and there are certain 'traditional' patterns (although you could do anything you want with them). Thats the problem, its very limited in what arrangements you can come up with. Anything different and it loses its association with traditional tatami mats.
          How important is that association? Do you think those rectangles are being recognized as tatami mats? Does the association's importance outweigh the importance of overall design?
          Originally posted by Dr.McNinja View Post
          I'm not sure as to the weight of 'The' - i'm leaning towards making it just as prominent as the word 'Dojo' and not smaller as you suggested.

Is there a specific reasoning behind that?
          In your font choice it seems to have more weight and importance due to the character width.
          Heresy is a victimless crime.

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
          Working...
          X