Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• PrintDriver
    Reply to How to do this?
    PrintDriver
    I'd think you'd want to be careful that it doesn't look obviously fake, like the first photo.
    The second one is strangely shadowless and floaty.
    The third one is ok, the objects are actually...
    Today, 12:55 AM
  • Buda
    Reply to Candy Shop Logo
    Buda
    It's a good start. I like the middle one how it has highlights in the text, but I think the drop shapes are way too big. Have you considered working with candy stripes?
    Today, 12:23 AM
  • Buda
    Reply to How to do this?
    Buda
    Yes.

There are many ways to skin a cat.

Personally, I would do this in Photoshop so that I had more control of the final colour. Photographing colours can result in differences...
    Today, 12:22 AM
  • Buda
    Reply to Hello from Nordic
    Buda
    Hi Mikko and welcome to GDF.

We ask every new member to read the threads posted HERE, particularly this thread to get acquainted with how things work on GDF. They will explain how the...
    Today, 12:20 AM
  • Buda
    Reply to Zazzle, CafePress, Etsy, OH MY!
    Buda
    I've never used Zazzle or CafePress, but I've bought a few things on Etsy.

If your CafePress store is doing well, why not sell your Zazzle items on CafePress and see how you go? It might...
    Today, 12:17 AM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Random piece

im nearly finished in sixth form and need to put together a portfolio for art foundation course

thoughts on this? just basically a fun piece to show a bit of my style/what i can do blahh. not meant for any purpose or reason other than that.

Hi Anddy

Nice style. Reminds me of the cartoony style of shoebox greetings.

http://www.hallmark.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/article|10001|10051|/HallmarkSite/Shoebox/SHOEBOX_VAULT

I know you are still in high school (6 form = 11 and 12 grade in the US) and are just beginning your art and graphic education. Kudos to you!

This is a nice, simple illustration at the moment. Graphic Design has some sort of communication (can be solely visual, but is more often seen coupled with type) that informs a specific message or prompts a desired action of the viewer.

My only comment regarding the illustration itself is the 'length' (from back of head to edge of the white ruff) of the man's hoodie. It makes him look like he has a very long face (ear to nose) at the moment.

Although we all tend to pull the hood forward around our faces, this side view plus the forward projecting hood gives the impression of a very long face. Unless of course the figure isn't meant to be human? Could be a funny idea to draw an alligator snout or Rudolph's reindeer nose poking out...

Nice work!
    Sketching not only helps you work out good ideas, it helps you get past the bad ones.

Comment

never seen a snorkel coat before, eh Pan? LOL.
      The fishing line is frozen too.
      Where's the beer? Freezing your ass off ice fishing is only an excuse to drink beer.

Comment

i see what you mean by the hood, i guess i was going for the kind of pulled forward thing

and yeah i was going to put text in but because its for an art foundation course i figured i'd leave it as it was, as i will have a lot of other more graphicsy stuff to put into my portfolio as well!

and hey, something not human coming out the front sounds good maybe i'll give it a go ;D

also, i'll fix the fishing line O:

thanks!

Comment

I think you'd really complete this by rendering a face. get rid of the snorkel, and go with some manner of hat/cap and possibly earmuffs. Scarf maybe?

Perhaps create more interesting negative space behind the figure with trees behind the hill -some breaking the top margin. They need not be complex, but the can add to the composition.

Also, try working out 4-5 different color harmonies. Some muted, some more based on a segment/quarter of the color wheel.

I think if you refine the pallete this will be outstanding/timeless.
          Heresy is a victimless crime.

Comment

I'd add a nose. And ditch the trees cuz you can't tell where the ice starts/stops.
            I love my job. I hate freelancing.

Comment

Usually can't if it snows the night before you go out. First few steps could be wet.
              Speaking of steps, I think this guy levitated in. But don't add them. It adds to the charm with them not being there.

Comment

What is the difference (if any, besides spelling) between folk-art, and folk-design?

Comment

@Broacher -- This topic comes up a lot in the art world in terms of Art Brut or "Outsider Art"...

No difference. Similarly, the poor mastery of the medium and design principles.
                  I love my job. I hate freelancing.

Comment

I'm presuming this is one of those occassions when the moon and sun are out together? There must be a second light source according to your shadows. If that is the sun in the sky, the shadows of the trees would suggest the sun is about 2 or 3 miles further away than the trees, so it wouldn't be long until the fish are cooked, like wise the angler.
                    When men will beg God to kill them and they won’t be able to die

Comment

Make the feet a little bigger.
                      Heresy is a victimless crime.

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                      Working...
                      X