Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• PrintDriver
    Reply to The legalities of "Fan Art" and Copyrights/Trademarks
    PrintDriver
    I need to find an hour to watch that video. Tough when the weather is so good and work is so busy.
    Today, 11:02 AM
  • PrintDriver
    Reply to How to cut down on meetings?
    PrintDriver
    Do you have any kind of contractual explanation on the amount of meetings you have accounted for in your quote?
    Lately I've noticed you almost have to do this just to avoid running all over the...
    Today, 10:59 AM
  • jessica21
    Steampunk Tea Brand Logo Critique- Trying to choose final concept
    jessica21
    Hello All,

Background:
    I am making a logo for my boyfriend's tea company, Starlight Tea. It sells high quality loose leaf tea, will have a website, and be in a local cafe (it's more...
    Today, 05:52 AM
  • Buda
    How to cut down on meetings?
    Buda
    I have a client who I am going to design a book for. I met with her about 4-5 months ago to discuss. She emails me each month to tell me she hasn't advanced any further on the project. She's been overseas...
    Today, 05:25 AM
  • skribe
    Reply to Crisp web graphics, how?
    skribe
    It sounds to me like you are hitting a retina issue. When I look at your site the graphics look fine to me on my 25" monitor. I just googled "SquareSpace Retina Support" and quickly...
    Today, 05:24 AM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• another logo

ok... after a few years in business now i think i'll get myself an actual logo. i put something together quickly when i started & have used a half a dozen version & other text as needed. lets forgo the work in black, sketches & other conversations... just let me know your thoughts ideas or suggestions for this logo. thanks in advance.

Steeler Born, Steeler Bred And When I Die I'll be Steeler Dead!

I think it's an interesting thought (the flaming painter's palette), but the font, illustration style, etc. aren't helping at all. I wouldn't run with it. I like the tie in with the flames, becuase I think of classic paint jobs that make cars stand out, but the old painter's palette worries me some ... becuase it all points to paint and not wraps ...

That's my 2 cents. And I won't tell you to sketch like mad ... but you should ... and I won't talk about black and white ... but the flames and the way they overlap the text would be a problem.

N.A.N.K.A. "We Kick Because We Care."

Comment

If your going to do the flaming palette, really make it on fire. Like fully engulfed in flames. The more dynamic the flames the better. I think if you put some colors on the palette itself, it would read more as palette.

I agree with Craig about the font as well.
      "You can't say it sucks. That's my job." -design professor

Comment

Sorry for being brutally honest, but all in all, I really don't think your logo is working, and unfortunately it looks quite like clip art. It looks kind of cheap, rather than professional.

I didn't see a palette at all until I read Craig B's comments - I thought it was a flaming potato.

The concept could work, but I think it needs to be redrawn / stylised so that it's instantly recognisable.

Aside from the 'i' forming the thumb hole in the palette, the text and logo mark really don't seem to be working together - the text certainly looks like an afterthought rather than a key part of the design, and the font choice isn't working for me either.

If you're going for a hot-rod flame styled look, why not have a look at the types of fonts used on those classic cars?

Comment

I have to say it... your logo looks like a flaming turd.

Comment

Originally posted by Craig B View Post
            it all points to paint and not wraps ...
            excellent point, i'll keep that in mind.

Originally posted by Craig B View Post
            but the flames and the way they overlap the text would be a problem.

Originally posted by Shiruken View Post
            If your going to do the flaming palette, really make it on fire. Like fully engulfed in flames. The more dynamic the flames the better. I think if you put some colors on the palette itself, it would read more as palette.
            this is going to have to be limited to a couple colors like any logo should be

Originally posted by Cool Gray 8 View Post
            Sorry for being brutally honest, but all in all, I really don't think your logo is working, and unfortunately it looks quite like clip art. It looks kind of cheap, rather than professional.
            don't appoligise for your opinion, i've been around here long enough i knew what i was stepping into & that is exactly what i want & need to hear

Originally posted by Cool Gray 8 View Post
            the font choice isn't working for me either.
            If you're going for a hot-rod flame styled look, why not have a look at the types of fonts used on those classic cars?
            the font chosen is reminiscent of the 50's & 60's hot rot

Comment

In the colour version I see a bean on fire.
              In the black and white version I see a sperm.

I agree that the font choice is lousy. There are similarities to that and the Rat Fink poster text, but they don't both have the same feel, the one you have chosen looks like a cheap and nasty kiddy font.

I would recommend you draw the letters rather than using a font to get a similar feel - or at least type them and then alter them a little to give it that 50s hand-drawn feel.

Comment

Hey Gary, here's a thought...research movie title cards like "Rebel Without a Cause" and other '50s hot rod movies? Then draw the type like holycow suggested.
                This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
                "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

thanks for the feedback, i'll give it a day to sink in & see what others think & repost then.

Comment

Try not to use the same lineweight throughout. It makes the piece boring with no sense of movement. For one who doesn't like thin outline strokes in cut vinyl, that's quite a pile of them there.

The brown of the palette is an unnecessary additional color. You could make it full black and drop out the hole.

You must have a Fellers catalog. Look at some of the flame options in there in the Design Elements packages. Your flames are very tentative. Be bold. And watch your overlaps. A black outline overlap tends to stop the movement of the flame it is encasing. A straight linear gradient is a cop-out. If you are going to have to print the logo anyway, work on a more bold approach to that fill.

The font is funky but again, it is static and predictable. The Rat Rod "font" is much more all over the place. Rat Rods come from an era before custom machine drawn fonts. Think custom hand drawn, no two letters alike.
                    Last edited by PrintDriver; 01-08-2010, 11:27 AM.

Comment

thanks PD, when i had the palette black it was just too much for me.
                      as far as the fill (gradient) i didn't want to set up that until the design was nailed down but had that in mind as well.
                      take a look at this & let me know thoughts ideas & suggestions

Comment

it may be just me, but i think there's a sort of visual fight going on between the serifs of your font and whispiness of the licks of flame. and then, everything's pretty thin and a little wirey, and then there's this solid swatch of color that's the palette, and it's not really an exciting color. maybe a palette isn't the right icon -- maybe something like a color wheel with the flames coming off of it. or hell, a frying pan frying a color wheel or something.

i'm still seeing the "bean" that others posted about. i think the name has a lot of potential, but i think you ought to put this one for a bit, and go in a different direction completely just to give it a try, and see what comes out of that.
                        Remember: Wherever you go, there you are.

Comment

I have to echo what others have said.

I think the concept you speak of could work-and work well, but you haven't nailed down the design.

I am at a loss to add much of "what is wrong" with this other than it it's working.

A hand drawn-or individually created lettering is almost a must.
                          The flames look like they'd be a problem as they are.

From what I have seen, I know you can do better, but it'd require a lot of re-imagining.
                          Heresy is a victimless crime.

Comment

vtwin, we all know you can do better! Push it to the max!
                            Professional Pixel Pusher Designing the world around you. | Working daily to reach 10,000 hours of practice.

Comment

You have a lot of little bits and spaces and interactions that kill the design. I like the font a little better but it is hard to read already and if you come up at it on an oblique angle (like on the side of your truck) it will just compact all the more.
                              Attached Files

Comment

home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | about us | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | events | forums | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions about | terms of use | privacy policy | Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X