Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DG Logo : Need guidance / suggestions, please?

Where to start?
    Here is a logo that I have been working on for myself.

Now, I DO KNOW that it needs a lot of work, and I would like some guidance and suggestions, please.

Also, I'm not the best with Illustrator (as you will clearly see).
    So, please bare along with me.
    I am slowly learning AND trying.

I'm trying to incorporate the letters D & G somehow.
    Unfortunately, I think this really might be hindering me to start with by 'staying within a box / specific criteria' that is probably unneccesary.

This is for myself, so I thought using a few of my initials would help.
    However, I've not been happy nor satisfied with any ideas using D & G.

I want my logo to represent me, and I am feminine and tend to lean toward more feminine ides, such as the logo. However, I KNOW being more neutral would be more beneficial in the long run.
    BUT, I want this logo to represent me.
    I gravitate toward the beauty industry, which is where I would ultimately like to establish a career incorporating beauty and graphic design.

Enough of my jibber jabber.
    Please give me honest feedback (as I know everyone will), because I need to learn/grow and realize all my weaknesses.

Thank you for any and all suggestions.
    (Takes a deep breathe.)

Last edited by BeautyNut; 01-09-2010, 03:08 PM.
    Please support justice for Bella

It is a great start, and you've definitely gone farther than I have with my own personal quest to create an "Initial Logo" as I've been calling the project.

Unfortunately, if you didn't tell me what it was before I saw it, I wouldn't have known. If you don't mind, I'll share my thoughts on your letters, as I think you have been blessed with a much better set than I have with K and E.

DG

Immediately, I see the vertical planes of the outer edges of the letters. Smooth and ridged. Then I notice the long, graceful curves of the inner edges. Both letters have hollow cores and a looping feel. The letter G in particular can be written a few different ways. I think my last thought would be to remember logos like Dolche and Gabana's and stay away from the "linked" look with the letters hooked together. It's very over done.

Comment

covax,
      First off, thank you for the nice compliment.

Unfortunately, if you didn't tell me what it was before I saw it, I wouldn't have known.
      That's what I was worried about.

If you don't mind me asking - you wouldn't have know:
      1- It was a D & G
      2- What the logo was 'suppose to' resemble.
      LOL

stay away from the "linked" look with the letters hooked together. It's very over done.
      So, do you think mine is too 'linked' together?
      You're right - it is done a lot.

Thank you - again.
      I'm here to get honest feedback in order to improve as much as I can.

Comment

I guess I wouldn't know either. I didn't actually realize it was supposed to resemble anything... :S Sorry!

You know what, I don't think it was Dolche and Gabbana that I was thinking of. But there are a plethora of logos where two round letters are linked together, sort of like a chain. Do you know what I mean?

There's nothing wrong with the letters touching; that's a very effective practice. I'm simply saying that I think it would be best to stay away from doing the same thing everyone else does with letters of that similar shape. Having letters touch is a great way to create flow and relationship between them as design elements.

Do I make sense? I didn't get much sleep last night...

Comment

I guess I wouldn't know either. I didn't actually realize it was supposed to resemble anything... :S Sorry!
          That's so funny.
          NO, it's no problem. I definitely need practice with my drawing skills.

It is 'suppose to' resemble a woman's face (D) with a pony tail (G).
          DUH! (anyone could see that! I'm ONLY kidding.)

That's what I was curious about also- IF anyone would recognize that.
          It's sad when you draw something and you have to label what it is out beside it. LOL

Yes, you make plenty of sense, and I TRULY appreciate your help.
          Honestly.

Again, I think that I'm limiting myself, but I really wanted to incorporate my initials somehow.
          BUT, I should 'force' things either.

Comment

I've been in the same boat for literally a year. In December of 2008, knowing I would be starting school soon, I started sketching concepts and have been doing that on and off since. Today, as I was doing the same thing, concept sketching, I just started scribbling my initials, the way I do at least 100 times daily at work, and realized it was kind of interesting. So, that's the direction I'm taking right now, and I think it looks great. I have filled about a whole sketch book with different concepts; it has been VERY frustrating so far.

Comment

Sorry, I thought it was a TV with a few big cables coming out the top! I think bletchley park would have struggled to decode that one. Don't forget that you have lower case available too, and that a lower case d and g are somewhat symmetrical. Maybe there is something to be experimented with there? Get your pencil sharpened and scribble out a hundred or so options. You can definitely do better.
              When men will beg God to kill them and they won’t be able to die

Comment

Sorry, I thought it was a TV with a few big cables coming out the top!
                OH NO!
                No, be honest.

You can definitely do better.
                I agree in that there is definitely better (not sure if I can do it).

I appreciate your feedback.

My initial goal was to:

use the lower case d (which I have but didn't post) as the face/head and

use the G as some sort of ponytail / hair incorporated into the d - face/ head

What do you think?

Comment

Instead of concentrating on the person, what about scribbling down a list of equipment used in beauty salons? I don't know what's in them, but things like scissors, nail files, sunbed googles, mudpack eye covers, rollers come to mind. Round things that might help you involve lower case d or g, if your determined to incorporate something into the letters.
                  When men will beg God to kill them and they won’t be able to die

Comment

Instead of concentrating on the person, what about scribbling down a list of equipment used in beauty salons? I don't know what's in them, but things like scissors, nail files, sunbed googles, mudpack eye covers, rollers come to mind. Round things that might help you involve lower case d or g, if your determined to incorporate something into the letters.
                    Good idea.
                    Thank you.

d = dryer?
                    g = ? at the moment ?

I know that I'm focusing mostly on 'beauty' which may also be hindering me!

HUH!
                    I can't find my identity / logo for the life of me.
                    LOL

Comment

I don't think he means items that necessarily start with D and G, just items that could LOOK like a D or G.

Comment

Hi, I guess I just don't think you need to have a logo that is beauty related, unless you are in that industry? Why don't you just play around with some fonts and initials until you a couple you like and then see what you can stretch them into.

Comment

I don't think he means items that necessarily start with D and G, just items that could LOOK like a D or G.
                          Oh, I knew that!
                          LOL
                          Just kidding - thank you for clarifying that for me.

I guess I just don't think you need to have a logo that is beauty related, unless you are in that industry? Why don't you just play around with some fonts and initials until you a couple you like and then see what you can stretch them into.
                          Well, I am in the industry, BUT I completely understand your point, because I DO WANT to expand beyond beauty.
                          Like you point out, the logo would need to be different.

I'm sketching now.
                          Is there a logo for completely lost and confused.

Thank you for all the help, and PLEASE keep them coming.

Comment

What type of beauty industry?

Have you written a creative design brief for yourself? It might help to approach your logo as you would any other client.
                            By that I mean,
                            where are you going to use the logo
                            What are you applying it to
                            What do you want it to imply/convey
                            What do you want it to accomplish/call to action
                            Whose your target audience/demographics and what are they drawn to
                            and give yourself a timeline

Some research that might help narrow down your ideas:
                            What style of art do you like
                            Have you looked at your competition
                            What do you like and not like about the competition

Comment

Good questions!

Type: hair, skin, nails, cosmetics ...

A lot of your questions - I don't have an answer, which is probably another hinderance / setback.

I do want it to imply or convey : variety.
                              Meaning, specializing in various areas and / or fields.

Again, I could be making this too complicated and trying to incorporate too many things into one.

I have educational backgrounds in a variety of fields, but I need to choose one and stay with that.

I can't think 'simple' for some reason.

I truly appreciate your help and questions.

No one can answer them, but me.
                              I'm so lost.

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X