Collapse

Featured Images Featured Images Module
Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• approveme
    Reply to How to choose a good graphic design for a web design company?
    approveme
    These are 10 things you should take into account when choosing a logo designer:

Proven Success & Experience
    Positive Testimonials
    A Thorough Design Process
    Awards &
    Today, 09:06 AM
  • sfys
    Reply to school project one pager
    sfys
    thanks! could it be that you watched the site through Internet explorer ?
    I don’t know why but it pushes some things two pixel down. I work on a mac so I mostly tested it on chrome, safari...
    Today, 06:01 AM
  • extraordenary
    First Poster Design
    extraordenary
    Hey guys!
    I wanted to know what you guys think about my first poster design. I'm still in high school and I've just recently decided that I was going to pursue in this career path. Prior to this...
    Today, 05:26 AM
  • megoggsc
    Reply to Oh Portland!
    megoggsc
    Thank you Billy! I am still working on it, but here is the version that I meant to upload. I emphasized the Portland sign a little more in this one. ...
    Today, 02:49 AM
  • BillyLogan
    Reply to Oh Portland!
    BillyLogan
    Great work! My only concern is that it does not seem to have a focus subject on it. Add something really cool or highlight something you want to emphasize. Aside from that, I find it really artistically...
    Today, 01:45 AM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newspaper Advertisement.

This is a Graphic Design assignment I got a few days back. This is my first attempt at the advertisement.

I really need lots of feedback on this one, how should I improve this design? Lots of people say that the alignment is 'out', what do you mean by that and how do I improve on that?

Feedback would be greatly appreciated.

This is in some serious need of hierarchy. My eye doesn't know where to look first, there's way too much going on and in way too many directions. Very confusing to look at.

blog/portfolio

Comment

Originally posted by Virgo Nightingale View Post
      This is in some serious need of hierarchy. My eye doesn't know where to look first, there's way too much going on and in way too many directions. Very confusing to look at.
      I know it's quite confusing when you look at it first.

And this being a Newspaper advertisement needs to be simple and needs to serve the purpose which, apparently, it's not doing.

Any examples/ explanation on how/ what to do next?

Comment

Yep too busy.

Try to figure out what the three most important things on the page are.
        Probably your headline, call to action and the deal.
        Take those and work on a layout...
        Then add in items later

Does the ad have to be only type according to the project assignment? If not, maybe a pic or two to illustration what is on sale or what you are selling? People like shiny things, and pictures are shiny.
        I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not. ~ Kurt Cobain

Comment

Originally posted by Audentia View Post
          Yep too busy.

Try to figure out what the three most important things on the page are.
          Probably your headline, call to action and the deal.
          Take those and work on a layout...
          Then add in items later
          Thanks for the advice. I'll get to that with my sketchpad and upload the new design sometime later.

Does the ad have to be only type according to the project assignment? If not, maybe a pic or two to illustration what is on sale or what you are selling? People like shiny things, and pictures are shiny.
          I forgot to mention, like you guessed, it's supposed to be a typography design. So can't use pictures or illustrations just lines and typefaces.

Comment

Can't even tell what place this is for, or where it is located.
            Professional Pixel Pusher Designing the world around you. | Working daily to reach 10,000 hours of practice.

Comment

I'm a newbie, but I want to take a stab at giving some advice. I think you're caught off guard by the need for it to be typography-focused that you forgot your basic hierarchy rules. Go back to the basics and think (for a newspaper ad), this need to be functional, not an artistic piece.

Good luck! Would love to see the final!

Comment

For a sports ad don't use pink, well unless it's female only
                the kerning is too loose to read on the small type
                Are you prohibited from using any art? Type only? If not use some sport art, like equipment.
                If you are prohibited use real logos
                Kynectic sports is repeated too often, if this the store logo add an address
                Last edited by CMYK girl; 01-13-2010, 09:36 PM.

Comment

huh, it shows as a good red to me CMYK girl. Shows pink to you?
                  Interesting.
                  I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not. ~ Kurt Cobain

Comment

I like how you are playing with type - I think newspaper ads should do more of these sorts of things

Like everyones been saying - your hierarchy is way off. The name of the store is one of the least noticeable things to me. And its also definitely too busy - half the content I did not even get a chance to read because theres just so much of it.

Keep the style, remove at least half of the content (or if it is mandatory, reduce the least important information in size it to a level where it does not compete with the rest of the ad). Do not add anymore fonts, play with size and placement to create hierarchy.

Comment

Originally posted by Audentia View Post
                      huh, it shows as a good red to me CMYK girl. Shows pink to you?
                      Interesting.
                      Yeah salmony pinky. At least on the Macbook laptop. I should never rely on it's color. But my desktop picture is accurate as I have it on both computers. Well as Gilda Radner said, "Nevermind"

Comment

Originally posted by CMYK girl View Post
                        For a sports ad don't use pink, well unless it's female only
                        the kerning is too loose to read on the small type
                        Are you prohibited from using any art? Type only? If not use some sport art, like equipment.
                        If you are prohibited use real logos
                        Kynectic sports is repeated too often, if this the store logo add an address
                        Yeah, we're restricted to type only, no logo's, no pictures and obviously no illustrations. And it's supposed to be red and black not pink and black.

By the way, thanks for all the advice people, really helps, I'm working on the new piece right now. Will upload it later for more feedback.

Thanks again.

Comment

I sorta like it. It would make me look at it if I saw it in newspaper.

"May your hats fly as high as your dreams"Michael Scott

Comment

Personally, I like it like I like old Russian propaganda posters. My only critique would be to rotate everything 5 or 6.

For the masses, however, I would lose the repetition of the brand, add more color, add perhaps a picture of aesthetically pleasing bodies in the said apparel and a phone number, address and url.

Regardless. It is a nice piece as stands.
                            A little smilie goes a long way.

Comment

Hi

Very nice for a first attempt. However, I just agreed with the other comments here about hierarchy. Advertisements should be a balance of content and attraction. Perhaps, this site will offer you help in newspaper advertisements.

link removed
                              Last edited by Buda; 08-26-2010, 08:35 AM. Reason: Link removed. No advertising

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc.
                              Working...
                              X