Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• sFear
    Tron-type Grid Theme for TankPit Game
    sFear
    I've been trying to create a new graphics theme for TankPit (just an online game I play). My friends have told me it's hard on the eyes.

How to have the Tron-type, illuminated cyan look...
    Today, 03:21 PM
  • sFear
    Hello. sFear here! :D
    sFear
    Hello everyone!

I'm just recently getting into graphics design. I found this site through Google and thought I might be able to learn a lot and get some good advice from the experts!
    Today, 03:05 PM
  • KitchWitch
    Reply to Unused designs - who owns them?
    KitchWitch
    Hi EmberMike and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done...
    Today, 01:40 PM
  • KitchWitch
    Comment on Avatars
    KitchWitch
    If you read the original post, you'll find, "The function that allows avatars to be uploaded broke a few weeks ago for unknown reasons." There's a workaround posted in comment #6 you can try....
    Today, 01:39 PM
  • KitchWitch
    Reply to How to choose a good graphic design for a web design company?
    KitchWitch
    Hi Omar and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything...
    Today, 01:35 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please crit my Typeface design!

Hi everyone,

This is my typeface design. It is inspired by American architect, Frank Gehry. Please give me some feedback for it. Thank you so much

Attached Files

The f looks too much like the t.

Legibility is really important. Also, is this a lower case font only?

What kinds of applications do you envisage this font to be used in?
    It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" – Winnie the Pooh

Comment

I like your inspiration. I did think it was ribbons though before I read about your inspiration. I could see this being taken a bit further for even more of the Frank Gehry look. I could see a few select applications for the usage, but I the legibility needs some work as Buda pointed out. The numbers 5,6,8, and 9 could be easily mistaken for the wrong number and usually numbers are quite important for dates, addresses, contact info.

Comment

I'd add a, h and 4 to the legibility issues. I do like the idea. As Tea said, push it further.
        This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
        "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

i'll add the n, z and 5 to the legibility list
          Steeler Born, Steeler Bred And When I Die I'll be Steeler Dead!

Comment

gehry's stuff tends to be very fluid, more like water or liquid than angular and sharp, like your corners are. i'm not saying get rid of them, but rethink the motion of the letters. i would suggest even going to tiffany's website and looking at the jewelry he's designed. it might give you some ideas, like the torque pieces.
            Remember: Wherever you go, there you are.

Comment

I would like to see a few random words typed out, to see if they are instantly recognisable. We all know that the letter next to i and k, is a j in the alphabet, but what about if "jimity cricket" was written straight off, and shown to someone who hadn't glanced through the whole alphabet first. I wonder would they be able to decypher it?
              When men will beg God to kill them and they won’t be able to die

Comment

How is this font created and does it translate into any kind of standard font format? I'm visualizing all kinds of rip issues... Not that that will happen, but something to consider and test before offering it to the public (not that anyone else does...)

What happens when you select a new fill color for the font?

It used to be that text effects were applied after the font was selected, not as part of the font itself. I guess I should prepare for the new headaches of the FutureFont.
                Yay.

Comment

Dinno, have you studied typography and typeface design?

Comment

Actually this design is one of my school projects. My instructor asked us don't need to worry about the actually usage of the typeface because this was designing for display only, therefore some of these fonts not legible.

Comment

Even if you are only designing a display typeface, it still need to be readable. Display means that it's not to be used in body text.
                      It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" – Winnie the Pooh

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc.
                      Working...
                      X