Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Revamp of Website

http://xdgraphicdesign.com

well here i go, did some more thinking and dicided to revamp my website.

hopefully this will be more appealing.

Loose the splash page, they are so 1990 and necessary. Especially for your design...

I would also move a copy of the navigation to the top of the site. Perhaps under your giant logo, or just as small in the top right corner.
    Professional Pixel Pusher Designing the world around you. | Working daily to reach 10,000 hours of practice.

Comment

speaking of 1990, what is your screen resolution

Comment

Originally posted by xdGraphic View Post
        speaking of 1990, what is your screen resolution
        Mine is 1920 x 1200, and I have to agree with Ckret, your logo's pretty large there.

Splash screens in general annoy me 'cause I have to wait to get to the content, which is why I'm there in the first place.
        This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
        "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

1920 x 1200 on one machine
          and
          1680 x 1050 on the other machine
          Professional Pixel Pusher Designing the world around you. | Working daily to reach 10,000 hours of practice.

Comment

I would also move the nav from the bottom to the top. Bottom nav is just dangerous. You never know if anyone will find it.
            I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not. ~ Kurt Cobain

Comment

i have updated the site with your suggestions, altho i want to keep the splash just cuz.

i have made the logo smaller tightend the top a little, added menu both top and bottom.

Comment

The lack of information on each piece is odd. I'd be interested in knowing the application for each piece, what it was used for and stuff.
                Right now it's just a bunch of random designs put on the page...

Comment

Originally posted by xdGraphic View Post
                  i have updated the site with your suggestions, altho i want to keep the splash just cuz.
                  So you're going to keep a pointless page that only serves to prevent people from getting your website "just cuz". Brilliant reasoning there...

Also I don't think there's any need to have the navigation links at the top and the bottom, you're adding visual noise.

One more thing: Reversed out grey text in all caps. I would suggest changing to to something more legible - why make people work to read it. You've already subjected them to a flash page, it's like you're purposefully trying to get them to give up and leave.
                  When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

Comment

why are you yelling at me?? the all caps text is annoying and kinda hard to read. you need some sort of description under the work it looks rather plain as it is now. also try to limit what you put up, only put up your best work and if a customer wants to see more you can always send them something in an email.

"There's something about turning the pages of a book or magazine and the felling of rubbing your hands across the words."

This is my pen tool. There are many like it, but this one is MINE. My pen tool is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My pen tool without me is useless. Without my pen tool, I am useless.

there is no grey area when it comes to 1 color logos.

Comment

Here at XD Graphic Design, I excel at both the aesthetic and technical problems that arise when designing the graphic solution for your company, and I work to maximize the communication objective of your brand, be it an existing brand or a new company.
                      This sentence should probably be broken up. Right now it's almost half of the second paragraph and just seems to run on.

Comment

well i guess im going to have to re-write my main page to simplify the point. Hrm... thinking, lots of self will do

Comment

I think you need to gain a better understanding of what constitutes a professional post-1990 graphic designer's portfolio site.

I don't know if you're a student or not, but landing pages & huge, flash-animated logos do not communicate professionalism on any level.

I'd recommend taking a step backwards, doing a bit of research and approaching the re-design of your site from scratch.

Best of luck.

Comment

I agree with what everyone else has already said. Also, if some of the pieces you posted were work for hire pieces and not just student work, your Road Runner logo violates Warner Brothers copyright.

N.A.N.K.A. "We Kick Because We Care."

Comment

Originally posted by Craig B View Post
                              I agree with what everyone else has already said. Also, if some of the pieces you posted were work for hire pieces and not just student work, your Road Runner logo violates Warner Brothers copyright.
                              Yep - NEVER include work that wasnt done by you on your own portfolio site.

Also lose the web counter on your splash page (assuming you do end up keeping it there). Very 90s...

Comment

home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | about us | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | events | forums | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions about | terms of use | privacy policy | Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X